Help - Restaurant in NYC

Search

Help - Restaurant in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - Restaurant in NYC

Am looking for a nice restaurant either 'American' or bbq type restaurant, we are on quite a tight budget so nothing too expensive - dont mind where...
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 05:16 AM

Not knowing what part of the city you are staying in, I recommend Dallas BBQ in Times Square, on 43rd Street, I believe.

It's not super-cheap (nothing in that district is!!!), but it was affordable and clean, and offered good basic American food - steaks, ribs, etc.
Comfort food type of place. Not fancy.

My guess is it's one of the more reasonably priced restaurants in the area.

See timessquarebid.org (I think that's the right site)
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 05:20 AM

There are thousands of restaurants in Manhattan alone, and dozens if not hundreds of threads on this website about them. Also check out Citysearch, Zagat's, Time Out New York, etc.

You don't mind where? If you're staying downtown, I doubt you want to drive (if you have a car) or take a taxi/subway to Harlem for bar-be-que. Perhaps you should reconsider your geographical preferences.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:03 AM

The only place to go for real bar-b-que in NYC is Virgil's....152 W. 44th St., btwn Broadway and 6th.

212 921-9494

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:21 AM

SallyKate, according to the Zagat guide, Dallas BBQ gets a 14 rating for food (out of a possible 30) while Virgil's gets a 21-considered very good. However, Virgil's is more expensive ($30/person for dinner including 1 drink vs $19 at dallas BBQ).

SallyKate, tell us what neighborhood you want to be in, how many people-all adults or some children, whether it's for lunch or dinner and what you mean by "nice" and American (ie seafood, steak, burgers-is Italian ok?)
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:26 AM

As alot of us have mentioned before there are over 10,000 restaurants just in Manhattan alone, so you won't have a problem finding someting for your taste and budget.

I have recommended Soto Cinque alot and it's very well priced on 3rd AVe and 29th St. The prices are around $5.00 for some entres and the cheese garlic bread is so good.

Another fun restaurant is America on 18th St, between 5th and Broadway, a huge menu and large portions. The shrimp ravioli is excellent.

Lots of reasonable restaurants in that area of town.

Also I would suggest you get a copy of Zagat guide to restaurants in the city.

Most of the restaurants also post the menu in the window, so you can see what the prices are before you walk in.

Have fun while you are here.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:36 AM

For barbecue, try either the previously mentioned Virgil's or Tennessee Mountain in Soho, which is downtown.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:39 AM

Actually, according to today's New York Times, the only restaurants in NYC that serve real bar-be-que are BLUE SMOKE and DAISY MAY'S BBQ USA (Dining In section, p.1).

(Virgil's in Times Square pre-boils the meat, may use charcoal & gas to further cook it, and also may use liquid smoke.)

Blue Smoke is extraordinary, the meat is delicious and the sides, particularly the mac & cheese, are other-worldly. I've never tried Daisy May's.

(As an aside, the article features a new restaurant offering real bar-be-que that will open soon on East 81st Street.)
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:45 AM

From today's New York Times:

"In Manhattan, only Daisy May's and Blue Smoke cook their meat exclusively with wood, making them the sole local claimants to the real barbecue throne. (Pearson's Texas BBQ on the Upper East Side will join their ranks soon.)

"Shortcuts practiced by the others ? including Virgil's in Times Square and Tennessee Mountain in SoHo ? include parboiling meat before cooking it over charcoal or gas, supplementing wood heat with gas and, some say, the occasional drizzle of liquid smoke. These can sometimes result in passingly good barbecue, at least by New York's former standards."

I must agree that Blue Smoke is far far superior to Virgil's and Tenn Mountain (but, like I said, I haven't tried Daisy May's).

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Blue Smoke is good but seriously expensive!!! Dallas BBQ has locations all over the city...the food is decent, plentiful and cheap. Though I'm not sure it's what you'd call "nice"...it's kind of a "TGI Friday's" atmosphere.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help, I have just re-read my message and I was so vague, but again, you are all so amazingly helpful! We are staying at the Hilton New York, so midtown, and there are 2 of us and we are in our mid-twenties.

Again, thanks for all your replies, we really are going to have the best time in New York!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 03:54 AM

I don't want to enter the Bar-B-Q argument, but I've had the great stuff at nearly all the famous places in Dallas, Kansas City, North Carolina, etc. And I'd put Virgil's on a par with any of them. I think that's your answer -- miles ahead of Dallas Bar-B-Q in quality and style, but just about as reasonable and a fun place -- generally filled with locals, despite it's near Times Square location.

Read my lips -- Virgil's!!!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:31 AM

I have to jump into the fray and second Virgil's. I eat there on a somewhat regular basis, and order delivery from Dallas BBQ on a somewhat regular basis as well. There is no comparison in my mind. Dallas BBQ is a chain restauarant with good food, Virgil's is a unique place with excellent food.
For a fun night out in New York, Virgil's is the way to go...and if you go, try the hush puppies appetizer with maple butter, yum!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 12:58 PM

Hi SallyKate,
Just happened to see your post and since I live in NY I thought I'd give you an idea. If you take the downtown subway--a 2 or 3 or 4 or 5--to BoroHall which is the first stop in Brooklyn you arrive in Brooklyn Heights which is a nice brownstone area. You can walk over to the Promenade and have the best possible view of Manhattan, Brooklyn Bridge and Statue of Liberty. On Court Street near the subway entrance there is an Italian restaurant, the Queen, which is very reasonable and is considered one of the very best. It's a block or two south of the subway entrance. It might make for a very nice evening. If it is too much for your budget walk along Montague street toward the water and you will find every type of restaurant, etc. Prices are better than in the City. Have fun and good luck!
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 05:34 AM

I have eaten at Queen a couple times - it's excellent! But "reasonably priced" it's not. It may be the most expensive Italian restaurant I've ever been to.
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 09:24 PM

Can't go wrong with Virgils for BBQ.