Search

A Night in Albuquerque

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Night in Albuquerque

Hi all,

We're headed from Florida to spend the New Year's holiday in Santa Fe. Our first night, though, will be in Albuquerque - arriving about 1:30pm. We have a free night at the new Embassy Suites on Woodword & Lomas, and thought to maybe go down to Old Town.

My main question is about public transportation options. We're not picking up our rental car until the next day -- the price difference was $131 vs. $303 for a single day difference, if you can believe that The hotel doesn't have a shuttle from the airport or to downtown. Am thinking that a cab from the airport on arrival and to the car rental center the next day are probably the most convenient (hotel is only 3 miles from the airport). But what about from the hotel to Old Town?

Also, any recommendations as to dining in Old Town would be great. Thanks.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 05:19 AM

There are places in Old Town to eat, but there are better options on Central in Nob Hill. I would go to Old Town during the day and then head to Nob Hill for dinner.

A taxi to old town is possible and to Nob Hill as well, you could take a bus to and from Old Town, I think.

I am headed out shortly, but will get back to you. Also, feel free to email me directly, address is on my profile here.

Deb
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 05:28 AM

http://www.albuquerquecab.com/

http://www.cabq.gov/transit

What day/night will you be in ABQ, might make a difference as to where you can eat etc.

Deb
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 06:44 AM

I have come into ABQ and stayed at that Embassey Suites for business about 8 times in the last 16 months. It is a quick cab ride from Sunport to the E. Suites. Have the hotel call a cab about 15 min. before you want one to go to Old Town as it takes awhile for cabs to come, cabs are not all over the place in Albuquerque. And ditto for getting a cab back to your hotel from Nob Hill, have the restaurant call ahead.

I second the idea of going to Nob Nill area for the afternoon and stay there to eat. It is a cool, retro Route 66 area. "Zinc Wine Bar and Bistro" is a great place to eat there. The baked almond brie bruschetta and the seared ahi tuna w/sesame glaze served on top of fried shoestring veggies and the crispy duck confit egg rolls were appetizers that blew my socks off. Lots of cool shops on Central down the st. from Zinc.

http://www.zincabq.com/menus/dinner.php

Here is info on Nob Hill's historic area and a listing of shops, restaurants, etc. there. It runs several blocks on Central Ave.

http://rt66central.com/

The only other place I've eaten that was really good in ABQ was Artichoke Cafe.

Your hotel has a very nice spa if you wanted to opt for a massage or nail service, but it is only open til 8 pm so get appt ahead of time before you go. And they have a lovely breakfast and manager's wine/beer reception daily included in the rate.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the oh-so-quick answer, Deb! We're arriving at 1:30pm on December 30.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

emd3, my mouth started watering when I read that menu...yummy. Appreciate the feedback on the hotel, too - we do plan to enjoy it and just decompress before heading up to Santa Fe for New Year's Eve.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 05:29 PM

Like Deb said, you can take the bus down to Old Town pretty easily, as well as to Nob Hill.

Deb has a really great restaurant thread; go to the New Mexico folder or click on her name to find it.

Lee Ann
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you; that is a great list! DH is very fond of Greek food, lamb especially, and I see Yanni's and Olympia Cafe on there. Of course, we are specifically there for New Mexican cuisine, since we can't find it anywhere else. But the lamb is hard to pass up.

We have the first night and last night before our morning flight, so will have the chance to eat at 2 different places.

One last question - do you know if there will still be Christmas lights up, and if so, the best viewing? That was one reason for the Old Town visit.

Thank you to all for the wealth of information.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 06:05 AM

Yanni has very good food and is a lovely spot; we ate there a month or so ago. Olympia is average food with a real plain appearance [kind of like a basic spot near a college where you walk up to counter and order food and then sit a table and they call you to get your food].

In Old Town, Seasons Grill is really nice. Most of the other places are pretty "touristy" and only about average food.

The lights should still be on in Old Town till New Years, if memory serves me.

In Nob Hill, the following would be my suggestions for a "nice" dinner:
La Provence Brasserie
Nob Hill Bar & Grill
Scalo

For New Mexican, I think you have to try Frontier. It is across from the University, has been around forever and is an experience not to be missed. Good food, great prices, no dining atmosphere but lots of local vibe!

If you want to do this right, I would eat at Frontier first night [when you dont have a car] and then on your last night, I would drive to Mykonos for the BEST Greek food in ABQ [better than Yanni's]. Where are you staying your last night?

Another nice thing to do at night is the River of Lights at the BioPArk. The 30th is the last night: http://www.cabq.gov/biopark/garden/lights.html

Deb

Deb
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

You are the best. The last night we will be at the Homewood Suites at the airport.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Let me know if you need more input on anything re ABQ or SF.

Deb