Help planning vacation to Vancouver, Seattle & San Juan Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2015, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a vacation to Vancouver, Seattle & San Juan Islands but at this point I have no idea what the most time effective itinerary is.
We have this trip planned for September.

We live in the Netherlands and we have 2-3 weeks for this trip.
Our current plan is to stay in Vancouver 3 nights, Seattle for 2 nights and then spend a week on the islands.

We're contemplating staying on San Juan Island for 2 nights, Orcas Island for 2 nights and Lopez 1 night.
Is this something you would recommend at all?

Even though we're planning on seeing as much as we can, I don't want this vacation to be all about travelling/waiting to board et cetera. Having said that, we are contemplating taking the Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle because this seems like a unique experience. I understand this takes around 5 hours. Is it worth the (time) investment?

Any tips/ do's and don'ts are welcome
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 04:58 AM

Amtrak - Yes, I think it's worth it. It's reasonably-priced, scenic, and you avoid all that border traffic. Cost-wise, it may work out very well. If you had a rental car, you would end up having to pay for parking in Vancouver and Seattle. Try to get seats on the left (shore side) going north; you may see eagles along the shore in the border vicinity. You can purchase food (casual) on the train, here is the menu for that route: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/298/345/...ound-train.pdf

I can't really comment on the islands portion, but you may need a car for that portion of the trip.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 05:05 AM

Argh - apologies. Here is the correct link for the Amtrak Cascades route: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/764/510/...-Menu-2013.pdf
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 08:44 AM

Most of the islands are relatively small, and there's a ferry that goes between them (http://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedul...x?route=ana-sj), so I'd probably select one island to base out of and do day trips from there, rather than just doing one or two nights in a new hotel. You'll want to rent a car for the islands.

We took the train from Seattle to Vancouver and I liked it. You could probably get away without a car in both Seattle and Vancouver unless you're planning to go to Whistler or somewhere far outside the city.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I read somewhere that the Amtrak wasn't that comfortable (shaking a lot) so that's why I wasn't sure.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 09:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There are 4 Amtrak buses that leave Vancouver for Seattle every day. There is a morning train that leaves at 6:30AM and the evening-night train that doesn't get into Seattle until 10PM.
As I understand it now, you clear US Customs at the Vancouver station before boarding the Talgo train.
If you ride a bus, they stop at the border (US side) and you have to load your luggage onto a conveyor belt for inspection including X-ray, They quiz you and look at your passport. they load the luggage back on the bus which was searched while you were inside.
Unless someone had an immigration problem, the bus crossing takes 15-20 minutes.
Do you have any plans to visit Victoria, BC?
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 10:19 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I wrote a longish response then deleted it - doh!

The first thing I'd say is that there's a BIG difference between a two week holiday with a big portion of your time spent in the San Juans compared to a three week holiday with the same time in the San Juans.

I'm certain I'm in a minority, but I have to say that it's all about choices. While the San Juans are certainly lovely, that much time in the islands comes with an "opportunity cost" - what else could you do with some of the same days elsewhere?

Ours is one of the most beautiful and diverse regions in the world, and you're coming a long way. The islands are certainly pastoral and peaceful - some people find that marvelously relaxing, others (full disclosure - me) find it, well, boring. And considering you could - in the space of three days on the Olympic Peninsula, for example - spend time in alpine meadows, exploring incredible and unique temperate rain forests, walking along wild beaches with waves breaking over giant offshore rocks... well, you understand.

Or visiting Mount Rainier, or driving the incredible "Sea to Sky Highway" between Vancouver and Whistler, or riding the Lady of the Lake up stunning fjord-like Lake Chelan into the roadless reaches of North Cascades National Park, accessed via gorgeous orchard country and red-rock "old west" scenery three hours from Seattle. And the list goes on and on.

My recommendation would be to determine how many days you can spend in this amazing region, and - while not ignoring the San Juans - put your stay there in the context of the many other features available close by.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

@margotheangel
Thanks! I kind of suspected that, so thanks for the suggestion. Could you recommend one to use as the basis?
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

@gardyloo
You've definitely given me food for thought. You're right, I do want to make sure we use our time wisely so I'll definitely look into your sugggestion, although my boyfriend is already completely intrigued by the Lady of the Lake so that's already been added to our plans ;-)
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 01:00 PM

I've only stayed on Orcas Island (which was nice and has Mount Constitution, which was fun to visit), and then we walked around Friday Harbor on the way home, which I thought worked really well. I think Friday Harbor is the largest city in the islands, if that matters to you.
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 12:03 PM

I'm a little late into the discussion but wanted to offer any assistance I can. I'm the Executive Director at the Orcas Island Chamber of Commerce and I'd be happy to answer questions about Orcas, and the San Juan Islands. You can explore our website orcasislandchamber.com or email me at lance(at)orcasislandchamber.com. Happy Travels, Lance Evans, Executive Director.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 01:54 PM

I recommend Orcas and San Juan Island because they are the largest ones with the most accommodations choices, restaurants and diverse scenery. I would skip Lopez and put that time towards other parts of the state. And I think 2 nights on each island is plenty, which would give you time to devote towards other travels. Or just pick one of them and stay for 3 to 4 nights. But don't skip the San Juan Islands because they are beautiful and unique.
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 07:17 AM

I would add that Victoria and Tofino on Vancouver Island are as or more interesting than anything on the beautiful San Juan Islands (of which San Juan is my favorite).

HTtY

PS Make reservations on ferries from Anacortes to any of the San Juan Islands: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/
Old Mar 31st, 2015, 11:33 AM

My opinion is to go to Victoria and drive to Tofino (stay a few days at an ocean-side resort or bed and breakfast) I say spend more time in Vancouver and Victoria - you could even take a ferry to one of the Gulf islands (loved Saltspring). The drive around Vancouver Island is spectacular. We go every couple of years and we are from Texas. We were also thinking of doing the San Juan Islands as a side trip to Seattle in May but our hearts still want us to find a way to spend time in Vancouver.