Reload this Page >

Help, Places to Stay in NOLA

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2000, 03:22 PM
sophia

I'm going to New Orleans in about two weeks to visit a friend and to attend an NIN concert which will take place at the New Orleans Arena. I would like to know which hotels that are near the arena or at least near the superdome b/c I noticed the arena is like right next to it. So far, my choices from research are: 1)The Hyatt Regency at 500 Poydras Plaza which I am told is right across from the arena.
2) Sleep Inn CBD at 334 O’Keefe Ave which I am told is 4 blocks from there
3)Comfort Inn DT-Superdome at 1315 Gravier St. is 2 blocks from there.
4)Holiday Inn at 330 Loyola Ave is within 2-4 blocks from there.

I have NO plans to visit the French Quarter b/c I'm only staying for one night which sucks but hey, when you're a college student on a budget you can't afford the luxury like others. Also, I'm taking the Greyhound Bus at 1001 LOYOLA AVE to New Orleans and I'm not sure if I should walk to these hotel(s) or should I take a cab. If possible, can anyone give me a the local cab number in the area? Any help would be greatly apperciated. Thanks!!!

Old May 9th, 2000, 02:56 PM
bigez

Sophia, Yes the Hyatt is across from the Superdome. I'm kind of curious in the hotels you picked and their price ranges. If you can afford the Hyatt, why go to the others? Or find another mid-range hotel and spend 2-3 nights there?
The French Qtr is only a few blocks away so if you're old enough, why not take a stoll through?
Have fun and be careful out there.
E.Z.

Old May 9th, 2000, 05:37 PM
sophia

The only reason why I listed the Hyatt is because it's right across from the arena. My main concern is safety especailly at night. I don't want to get mugged leaving the arena after the concert. I've heard that NO, is not exactly the safest places in the world.

Old May 9th, 2000, 06:20 PM
susan

Actually, if you're IN the French Quarter, you're in one of the safest places in the United States. They have a police presence unlike anything I've ever seen, and the crime in the Quarter is very low.

Old May 9th, 2000, 06:42 PM
kal

Sophia, I see that you found the Fodor's board!

As Susan said, it does have a large police presence since that area is their bread and butter.

My wife left Johnny White's Sports Bar drunker than a skunk and (unbeknownst to me) walked the 7-8 blocks back to the Marriott by herself around midnight and she's only 5' tall.

Maybe one of the NOLA local's can rec a good, inexpensive hotel or B&B?

Good Luck and Let The Good Times Roll, but as "Big EZ" said, be careful out there!
Kal

Old May 11th, 2000, 03:57 PM
HUH

Pardon if I'm showing my ignorance but what is NIN? and is it specific to New Orleans?

Old May 12th, 2000, 06:52 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Nine Inch Nails. A band - sort of industrial. Not particular to NOLA. If you haven't heard of them, you probably wouldn't like 'em.

Old May 14th, 2000, 05:13 AM
Cindy

I too, am only 5' tall (as in Kal's response) but would not be the least bit worried about those few blocks. Be wary and careful about odd conversations with strangers (ex: "I bet you I know where you got those shoes" answer is "on Bourbon Street" or wherever you are at the time.) They tend to get testy about it if you bet and try to get out of the wager, but don't fall into the situation, enjoy the sites and have a great time!

Old May 28th, 2000, 11:13 PM
Lisa

I agree the Quarter is really safe. I have been there alone many times and have walked to my hotel long after midnight. I have never had a problem and that includes three Mardi Gras's too.I feel very safe in New Orleans and even safer than I do here in PA.