Reload this Page >

Help on Kennedy Space Ctr, St. Augustine, Jacksonville

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 06:20 PM
peg

Hi - We're planning to visit KSC the same day there will be an unmanned rocket launch. Hoping for fewer crowds than the shuttle launches bring--is this realistic? Hotels difficult to get? Suggestions on economical and clean places to stay?

Should we just watch the launch from the beach, or pay the extra approx $14 to KSC to watch "from a restricted area, just 4 miles from the launch site!" Any other tips on visiting KSC?

Also seek suggestions for lodging and activities for one night's visit to St. Augustine.

Finally, is Jacksonville worth seeing? Thought nearby islands/beaches might be worth a visit, but not sure what else the area has to offer.

Appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks!

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 05:23 AM
rob

i don't have any numbers, but i would think that a satellite launch would be less crowded then a shuttle launch. i've never heard of the $14 restricted area viewpoint but it sounds like a good deal although you could probably park somewhere along US1 and be just as close.

as far as lodging, the closest places would be titusville and the merrit island/cocoa area. titusville isn't a very "happening" town but its one of the closest viewpoints....theres a few run down motels near the bridge going over to playlinda bch & KSC property...or theres 2 or 3 generic chain type motels off of the intersection at I-95 & 520.
theres much more variety (and things to do) in the cocoa/meritt island/cocoa bch area....w/ pretty much all the chain motels represented.....just drive down 50 until you see something you like.

another option is staying in east orlando...around the alayfaya trail (434) area (near UCF). from there it would take you about 30 min. to drive to titusville & maybe 40 min to cocoa. there are several new hotels in this area around alafaya tr. & 50.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:03 AM
J T Kirk

Peg, to answer about Jacksonville:
Check out the River Walk in down J-Ville. It's a neat boardwalk area in downtown, that (obviously) runs along the river.
In Arlington (a neighborhood in J-Ville), see Ft Caroline. A neat little fort on the St John's River.
Also, take the ferry from Mayport, then drive up to Amelia Island. Little Talbot Island is a nice little state park, with a great beach. in Fernandina, just north of Amelia, is Fort Clinch, which is a great old fort right on the beach. Pretty cool.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:06 AM
al

Was down to KSC for a shuttle launch last November, and stayed at the Holiday Inn Cocoa Beach on US1. There are plenty of things to do and some good restaurants in Cocoa Beach and I've always found the HICB to be a good place to stay. It's clean, it's nice and it's cheap. You could theoretically watch the launch from THEIR beach just as easily as you could anywhere else. (Hint: Ask for the AAA rate, whether you're a member or not. They'll never ask to see your card.)

As for me, since it was my first launch I got tickets in advance and went to the KSC restricted area. No complaints at all. They gave us a few brochures, a little talk about the mission, you get to go to the large gift shop and, although I didn't go, there was also a film. They do their best to get you "in the mood" for something that will ultimately be over in about a minute. If you've never been, I think you'd enjoy the experience. Next time, though, you'll probably be just as happy watching it from the beach.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:08 AM
al

Come to think of it, the Holiday Inn Cocoa Beach is on A1A, not US1.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 09:39 AM
peg

Thanks for the help everyone! Very useful. Still open to more suggestions about if anyone has any. Thanks again.
Peg

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 10:22 AM
GatorGirl

Being a former Jacksonville resident....and frequent visitor to my parents who still live there......you can definitely skip Jacksonville, there isn't much there to attract tourists. The beaches in St. Augustine are much much better, if you haven't already made the plans bypass Jacksonville and spend your extra time in St. Augustine. We always to go the St. Augustine area beaches versus staying in Jacksonville just because they are so much better. There are several quaint bed and breakfasts in St. Augustine if that is your style but plenty of good economy hotels too. There are a number of tourist attractions in St. Augustine. The old fort is wonderful especially if you have kids. Lots of unique shops, old churchs, carriage rides through the steets, the pier, Flagler College, you can spend about 2 days doing sightseeing in St. Augustine. The Columbia House restaurant has a great Sunday brunch and serves so decent Spanish food if you order off of the menu. Visit www.staugustine.com for more info. I don't know much about KSC! Enjoy your visit!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Brenda

I would have to agree with the above post. St. Augustine would be a better choice than Jacksonville. Jacksonville is quite a large city with a high crime rate

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:58 AM
Sandy

In response to where to stay for the KSC visit..i suggest a place called South Beach Inn on Cocoa Beach. They are a small, unfancy, but clean hotel. We paid 100 dollars/night..and that was in February. It is a do your own maid service place, however..but any towels, sheets, etc. you need, you can just go to the office and ask for them. They have a full kitchen, living room and sleeping area with a divider. The only downfall is the lack of water pressure they experienced sometimes..but then again i was there during prime season. the website is www.southbeachinn.com.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Tracey Jackson

Stay at the Holiday Inn in Titusville. Close to KSC, cheap, and clean. Although, not much going on in Titusville proper. I would skip Jacksonville and spend time in St Augustine. You definitely can't experience everything St. A has to offer in one day and Jacksonville, although not a bad place to visit, just can't compare. RE: KSC, if you're really into space spend at least 2 days there.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 10:48 AM
peg

Thanks for the additional info.

I posted a few questions on the previous string about rocket launch days (not shuttle) and how much time we need to do a launch and KSC itself. Hoping one day is enough--We're not NASA buffs, just general interest. Now planning two days in St. Augustine. thanks for all the help!