HELP! OCEANFRONT HOME FOR DAUGHTER'S WEDDING

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am almost in a panic at this point! We were within one email from sending our money into a resort in St. Lucia when the hurricane hit and caused mass destruction. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

With all that being said, this left us searching for a new approach. We decided to go to Florida as the bride, groom and groom's family live in Britain and the bride's family resides in Oklahoma. We have searched for weeks and thought we found our perfect place UNTIL we got on Google Earth and found it was located next to a 3-story apartment complex.

My daughter really wants a quiet beach, preferably on the Gulf side. It will not be a formal wedding, but we need a really nice (Wedding & reception site) 5-bedroom oceanfront home and another 4-5 bedroom home that is close in proximity. The wedding is tentatively scheduled for 5/14 so we need days on both sides of that weekend. Budget is commensurate with accommodations.

PLEASE tell me there's somebody out there that can help!
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 09:06 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Checking VRBO is really the best bet IMO.

If you decide to go another route, this small hotel hosts beautiful weddings. The good thing about that is it would be low stress via doing it all yourself at a rental in an area you are not familiar with.

Take a look at their photo gallery -
http://www.beachviewweddings.com/

The guests would probably enjoy seeing Savannah up the road a bit and the "cottages" of Jekyll Island.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Finding two homes sounds more challenging than finding a hotel or resort to host it. Having the extra help of a front desk and party planner might also provide you some peace of mind. Is that a consideration? There must be lots to choose from. More so than defining two adjacent homes.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 09:42 AM

Than FINDING two adjacent homes. (gotta watch that autofill feature!)
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Another consideration is that most rental houses rent by the week - Saturday to Saturday - so your plans would probably require renting 2 houses for 2 weeks each (owners are unlikely to give you 2 partial weeks this far in advance).
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Wow! I looked at Beachview Weddings and contacted them via email. Cross your fingers that it's not astronomically expensive and I think we have found a serious contender. Thanks so much for that suggestion.

I also visited VRBO. I have found two properties that might work and have contacted the owners. They are in St. Augustine and I would rather stay west side of Florida, but at this point, I would crawl there if this property met everyone's needs!
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

PeaceOut-
Boy, are you ever telling me! Unfortunately, the vision for the little couple is a very quiet venue with really nothing more than a hot tub, swimming pool, ocean, grocery store and family! That's how it was described to me. The ceremony is going to be very informal so I will probably arrange for a cake, very few flowers, ribbon, toule and a good caterer and an EXCELLENT photographer. I will try to handle that (with the assistance of a very good friend that has excellent skills) via the internet and FODORS before my arrival. We will try to keep in mind that all catastrophes make for good stories later in life!
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

nytraveler-

I have come across that problem. The date of 5/14 is not set in stone so if we have to have it on a Weds or Thurs, that can be arranged. However, I have found some owners that will give us those extra days at a pro-rated price. They may be planning for the sluggish economy or whatever, but it has happened. (It could also be that they have a huge high rise next door and they are trying to fill the vacancy)
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:25 AM

I hope they are not. I don't think they are. They are on a stretch of open beach and next door is the Oceanside Inn and Suites that stretches out for what feels like a mile. I know it isn't, but there's nothing really on the other side of them. My point is, although there is a hotel next door, the clientele is nice - mostly families and retirees - so no problems from "neighbors". The reason I know about the Beachview is from watching the wedding party go down to the beach for the pictures. They are SPECTACULAR.

The hotel itself is small and has been under different ownership over the years. For the last few (10?) years, the owner seems to specialize in weddings. The tent between the hotel and ocean/beach is permanent. I imagine the rooms are nice but not too expensive (check the website). BUT they do weddings ALL the time and it would really take a lot of stress off two families who live so far away. Plus you would all be there together. You'd need rental cars and could fly into Savannah or Jacksonville. It's a gorgeous location for a wedding and lots of places for guests/tourists to enjoy.

If you aren't aware, the "cottages" were the getaways for the very rich who loved escaping to Jekyll.

At first, it was the farm and home of John Eugene duBignon. But, with the help of his brother-in-law Newton Finney, it became what Munsey’s Magazine called "the richest, most inaccessible club in the world" – the Jekyll Island Club.

Club members included men such as J.P. Morgan, Joseph Pulitzer, William K. Vanderbilt, and Marshall Field, to name only a few. Members prized the island for its "sense of splendid isolation," as well as its beautiful landscape and moderate climate. At a time when the idea of a modern seaside resort was still a novelty, members experienced levels of luxury and service that were remarkable, even by today’s standards.

more at http://www.jekyllisland.com/Explore/...cDistrict.aspx
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:32 AM

frettingmom, if you want the western part of Florida AND are okay with being in an isolated location here's a perfect match to what you are describing -
http://www.turtlebeachinn.com/rates.cfm

It doesn't sound like you'll have many people coming for the wedding. They have the B&B and cottage. It's on one a gorgeous beach. It's in what is affectionally called The Forgotten Coast and we love it because that area is like going back to Old Florida. Again, it would be at least an hour drive from the airport options but that part of Florida is gorgeous.

Another option nearby would be rental on St. George Island. My BFF goes down with her extended family and the grandkids and they rent big houses with private pool, etc. Check SGI on VRBO. Make sure that the owners know this is not a typical wedding - just two families meeting up for a small quiet wedding.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM

Back to St Augustine - if the property for the wedding works out, consider this for overflow for the other folks -

http://www.vrbo.com/272107

It's a small condo complex (7 stories) with nice units. The living rooms and master bedrooms open up to full (wall to wall, window to ceiling) ocean views. Elevator, small pool, nice complex that is oceanfront. Years ago we used to go every year (until the family friend sold their unit. A work friend bought one a few years ago).

Staying elsewhere may help you find the rental for the wedding, and to be honest, some of the folks may be HAPPY to have some time away from the chaos that goes along with all weddings. There are 1, 2 and 3 bedroom units and the last time I looked the rental rates were reasonable.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 12:49 PM

The Florida panhandle beaches sound like what you're looking for. The area starrs is recommending is great, also look at the small beach towns on 30A between Destin and Panama City Beach - Seaside, Watercolor, Grayton Beach for example. http://www.discover30a.com/discover/communities.asp
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM

Here's an oceanfront rental in the area 321go mentions -
http://www.vrbo.com/67651

And one that claims to be modeled after "Something's Gotta Give" -
http://www.vrbo.com/119475
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Starrs! Wow! I am going to have to send you a Christmas turkey! You are such a wealth of info. I ran a few errands and came back and now, thanks to you, I have homework for the rest of the night. I am soo excited! Thank you so much. Keep it coming.
I will definitely let you know what's going on and how it's coming along. My daughter had (?) to go to London this weekend (poor, poor girl-Ha!) because there was an issue with her engagement ring, so she doesn't have a clue how many leads I have. She will be so relieved! You're great! (I hope you don't tire of the accolades)
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

321go -
Yes, I did look at Watercolor and Beach Music. Unfortunately, they will not let you do weddings there. I tried to explain that we are a very small, mature group and it will not be a raucous brawl, but she explained that there were some neighbors that did not want them to do that. I did, however, find two properties with her partner. I have not shown them to my daughter yet. But they're a possibility.
I am just getting ready to check out all of starrs' suggestions. Really excited to get started. Cross your fingers, guys bc I need all the help I can get. Thank you so much for your time.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Amy

I know that you mentioned Florida, but have you considered the Outer Banks instead? Corolla area is all houses (quite large ones!) and it's peaceful and lovely. You definitely don't have to worry about high-rises there.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Amy-
I'm sorry, but could you define the Outer Banks? Are you talking about North Carolina? I'm afraid I'm geographically challenged. If we go north of Florida in mid-May it might be cold. We have Brits coming and they loooong for the warmth! I will check out this area once I clarify because at this point I'm exploring all options and checking this forum almost hourly. Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Have you thought about some of the smaller islands in the Bahamas? Harbour Island would probably be perfect, and there are lots of houses for rent on island. The beach even in high season is quiet and you would not have a problem finding a quiet spot.

I got married at Runaway Hill in 1991, and it was perfect. www.runawayhill.com. The Bride and Groom could stay there and you could find houses for rent in the area.

Runaway can do the reception for you and they did an amazing job for me, cake and all. There is a florist on island and they can order whatever you would like for flowers. Our favor was a long stem carnation with a bow and it was really pretty.

You can fly directly into Nassau and then take a ferry or plane over to Eleuthera and a water taxi over to the island.

There are alot of restaurants onisland, for pre-wedding dinner.

The island is small, so walking or golf cart is the mode of transportation.

Also try this website for house rental www.myharbourisland.com

There are 2 dive shops on island, a bit of shopping oh,,,,and one of the top 10 beaches in the WORLD.

Hope this helps and if you need any other info, please let me know.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

travelbuff-

Initially we were going to St. Lucia until the hurricane. However, I am footing most of the expense and I have seen how cheaply I can do this if I stay state-side. So I think we need to stay in Florida or other coastal city.
I did check out those websites. They are very tempting, but there was one section that talked about how expensive the restaurants and accommodations were. That was enough to scare me off! Maybe I can save this one when it's just me and my hubby!
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Amy

I've been in the OBX the first week in June, and it's lovely; May's temps look to be 70's for the most part, so not hot, but quite pleasant. We usually stay in Whalehead or Pine Island if you'd want to google for those, or Villages of Ocean Hill. Prices should be a bit less in May than in summer.

You could easily get one house for everybody there if you'd prefer: there are some big houses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -