Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HELP! NICE, REASONABLE LODGING SAN FRANCISCO?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 03:42 AM
cedar

I just received free tickets to SF! I am on a budget.
Can anyone help me with lodging....nice, clean and reasonable....or as reasonable as possible.
THANKS!

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 07:09 AM
liz

In early Aug. we stayed at the Lombard Motor Inn. For around $100., room was nice, clean, free parking, location a few blocks from Fisherman's Wharf. Only drawback, Lombard Street is Rt 101 in this section. Road noise was O.K. with me, bothered my Husband.

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 09:26 AM
George

Depends on your standards, but our experience is $100/night minimum, more
likely $150 for a decent room in a good
location. We stayed at Cornell Hotel on
Bush St just off Powell for $149 including breakfast for 3 people. It's
a nice clean small European style hotel with a very good French restaurant. Just 2 blocks from Union Sq. or Chinatown, the cable car practically at the front door to get to Fisherman's Wharf and Ghirardelli Sq.
If you're going to be there for 2-3 days
then get 3-day public transport "passports" ($10), gives you unlimited use of all public transportation for 3 days. Considering 1-way on the cable car is $2, the passes are a great bargain.

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 01:57 PM
none

It's always nice to be able to stay in the city, but "reasonable", "budget" at the last minute in the summer!?! Geez. Good luck.

If you can't find anything in the city, here are some low-cost alternatives. Use a web hotel finder like travelweb.com to find specific hotels/motels.

Pacifica, zip code 94044, is close to SFO (try to find a Pacifica cab at the airport if you're not renting a car) and close to the city. There are a number of low-cost motels adjacent to Hwy 1. Friends who live there have put relatives up at these motels with no complaints. It's a quick 10 minute drive into the city on Hwys. 1 & 280. No car? Take a cab to either Colma or Daly City Bart station and Bart in. (Colma's closer but Daly City has more trains). If the weather's nice, you'll luck out 'coz Pacifica's right on the beach. But normally it's really foggy and there's zero nightlife.

For warmer weather, you can try Oakland, zip code 94611. Find something near a Bart station. Oakland will be harder to get to from SFO if you don't have a car, but has more options for things to do if you don't feel like going into the city at a particular time. The Best Western Inn At The (Jack London) Square is reasonable and it's 7 blocks from the 12th St. Bart station. And it has a nice pool area, a plus since Oakland's weather is warmer than the city.

To get to Oakland from SFO without a car, take cab to Colma or Daly City Bart and take Bart to the appropriate Oakland station. There are almost always cabs at Bart stations.

Try to avoid driving into SF if you can help it. Traffic is bad, parking is rare & expensive and streets are confusing for non-locals. Be prepared for 60s and 70s with wind and a mix of fog and sun during the day, 50s at night. Good luck.

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 07:12 PM
arjay

Check out the Chancellor Hotel. We stayed there last year and were very pleased. I think it was a little over $100 (but we got a mailer this year about a special $99 rate in '99, so it's worth asking about). It's on Union Square, lots to walk around and plenty of shopping. The "bargain" lodging seems to be clustered on some low-rent, high-traffic streets. (Yes, the Chancellor is in a busy area, but as an older (but well-kept) property, it has good windows/sound-proofing, unlike the typical smaller, more recently built motels.)

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 01:03 PM
kam

My favorite recommendation for reasonable hotel is the San Remo. You will need to share a bathroom, but the hotel is an old mansion and impecably maintained. It's in North Beach which is a great neighborhood, close to the Embarcadero and Fisherman's Wharf and is the "Little Italy" section so delicious small restaurants. They have a website. I'm not sure about rates, but it's certainly good value. Enjoy.

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 01:14 PM
kam

The current rate for the San Remo is $50-80. Try sanfrancisco.hotelguide.net.

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 04:53 AM
Rob

Try www.hotelres.com. They have great rates and you can check out the hotels individually. They give you the Mobile ratings. They have places near the $100.00 mark. Also check out fodors.com. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 10:04 AM
Parrot Mom

Just booked a return to Andrews Hotel on Post St. in S.F.. charming boutique type hotel. Offers breakfast buffet outside your door in the morning, glass of wine in the attached bar/restaurant every evening.. Friends used this hotel, then on return trip used name brand and said Andrews was definetely a better buy..we love it...two blocks to Union Square

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 05:41 PM
Diane

You did not mention what you consider "reasonable". For budget accommodations, you might want to try the Amsterdam. It's within walking distance to Union Square. If you can pay more, try the Inn at Union Square. I stayed there years ago and liked it. The lowest price room was very, very small, however.

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 07:32 PM
stosh

As has been pointed out ,without knowing what"budget" or "reasonable" means to you this is difficult to do.But if you are really on a budget or would rather "sleep down" and spend the savings on eating and going to see "Beach Blanket Bablyon" then the Grant Hotel is in an excellent location on Bush st, safe ,central. Rooms are very basic,plain ,simple but clean, quiet and all with brand new bathrooms. Feels very much lke an older European hotel,nothing fancy at here at all. About $60 with tax. If you want a more boutique experince then the Andrews would be an excellent choice , around $115 with tax. You can find reviews of both these hotels,along with most others in the city, at citysearch7.com in their hotel section as well as other visitor info.

Old Aug 30th, 1999, 02:15 AM
cedar

Thank you so much for all the info! It is very helpful. I am checking all the recommended hotels.
My budget is about $100 a night.

Old Aug 30th, 1999, 06:20 AM
Parrot Mom

Hi-just booked the Andrews ourselves for a repeat visit in December,,, A full size bed with stall shower is $92.00...Queen sized $109.00....as is King size bed... since this incudes wonderful breakfast buffet of bagels, muffins, croissants, jams, coffee, tea, hot chocolate and orange juice in the a.m. on each floor...not to mention a glass of wine in the attached bar, I think it's a bargain, and it's also a funky hotel, it was they tell me an old turkish bath...

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 03:18 AM
katie

Lombard Inn....not bad.

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 05:48 PM
jm

Stayed at Hilton and it was very nice. Had 2 queen beds for $129 a night. Nice thing was we could book tours, catch the trolley, hit most of downtown and restaurants easily. Big hotel and very nice concierge help also.

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 07:52 PM
Edward

While we're on the subject of San Francisco hotels, what is the word on the Sir Franciss Drake (on Mason Street). I've always been intrigued by the property, it seemed to have a slightly aged, but dignified air about it, and the Beefeater doorman always seemed to be a quirky touch. The rates seemed reasonable enough, and if its any good I might consider staying there during my next foray in San Francisco.

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 08:32 PM
Les

Ed - The Sir Francis Drake Hotel is actually on Powell Street (cable car line) @ Sutter Street. One block north of Union Square. Mason Street is one block west. I live on Nob Hill just about 4 blocks from the Union Square area. The hotel is pretty nice for the price. It was reciently redone. The Starlight Room at the top is worth going to for a drink and the view. The small cafe downstairs is called Cafe Espresso. You order at the counter and it's very popular with tourists and locals. Very resonable and good food. In the same area across the street on Powell is the Chancellor Hotel is a bit cheeper and also worth checking out. San Francisco's union square area has been going through a lot of changes and looks great. New stores, much cleaner and safer than ever. Check out the San Francisco visitor web site for more info. Welcome back to "The City"!

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 11:39 AM
sharon

The BEST DEAL IN THE CITY is the san remo hotel near fisherman's warf and north beach! http://www.sanremohotel.com/

quaint and beautiful - with a european feel. may be booked if short notice, but worth a try. From $50 to $80 per night.

2237 Mason St. 415-776-8688 or 800-352-7366.

"A historic hotel built in 1906, San Remo offers small rooms decorated with antiques. All room have shared baths." http://san.francisco.hotelguide.net/data/h100193.htm
or
http://www.bpe.com/travel/san_francisco/ph_sanremo.htm

I stayed there on my first visit to the city. Now that I live here (9 years) I realize what a find it was!

Enjoy!