Help me pick SF Hotel for One Night

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, it is only one night mid October (weeknight) but I wanted something nice as my two sisters will be with me. They want to keep the cost down so trying to find a SF hotel room with two queens for the 3 of us and it has been a challenge (yes, we do this all the time - I have skinny sisters he he).

Hilton Union Square has 1 room 2 queens for $209
Intercontinental on Howard Street (not the MH) 1 room 2 queens $179
or
Nob Hill Hotel has 1 room with 2 doubles $129 and 1 room with 1 double $89 = $220
The Queen Anne Hotel has 1 room with 2 queens for $165 but some of the reviews are rather iffy (dusty, old, etc.) and one sis has asthma so I think that is out.

Comfortable beds, cleanliness are important factors.

What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 08:38 AM

What are you planning to do while here (theater, I think I remember you saying)? If you're going to the theater, I'd probably opt for the Hilton just for the proximity to the theater (and there are good restaurants in the area).
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

I don't think there is anything playing during that time so it will be a nice dinner somewhere. My little sis has a extra special birthday next March so we are celebrating early. We did all go to Paris for my other sisters extra special birthday!

I checked the Intercontinental rates again and once you go through the process, they hit you with a $30 per night extra person charge so looks like the Hilton is a better deal anyway. They have a prepaid rate which is the same as those hotel sites.

Our plans are to spend Wed. night here, drive to SF and spend the day and one night, possibly go to Napa on the way to Sacramento to see my daughter and new grandson. Then back home Sat. night or Sun. a.m. as one sister has a flight home on Sunday. Kinda fast, but she has to be back at work (teacher) Monday.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the Union Square area. That's where I've always stayed.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze. I think my sisters will like it, too. I did go with the Hilton and prepaid so it was a smidgen less.

Now I need to find a nice bakery for breakfast.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Ronda, if you are considering $220 per night, why not to try Priceline - maybe you can get 2 rooms? You know the city, you should know which areas to choose.

Ask Kal, he's doing it all the time. If you don't have his e-mail, mine is [email protected]
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 12:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ronda, I will recommend "Mocca" on Maiden Lane (i've only had lunch there, several times, but I see they are open at 8am)
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 02:18 PM

Cirque du Soleil "Banana Shpeel" opens in San Francisco October 16, if you are interested.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM

If you want only one room with two beds, you can't count on Priceline -- they only guarantee a room for two people, which can be one double-or-bigger bed.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for reminding me about Mocca. I think my sisters would like the atmosphere. I know there is a Boudin near Macys and that little Italian Coffee place on Union Square. There is that cute little French place up on the corner of Bush and Grant but the last time I was there, I wasn't too impressed.

I loved a little bakery on Polk St. near the French Restaurants but last time I was there it had turned into a chain coffee shop. bummer

Thanks Dayenu but I think we will pass on Cirque.

SF, that is why I went ahead and reserved with the hotel. Course, I might have been able to get two rooms for the price of one. Try it another time.