Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help me choose my vacation destination!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 11:31 AM
Dan

I will be taking a vacation with two adults and two teenagers this October. We've narrowed down the destinations somewhat, but can you help me choose? Here are the ideas:

1) New Orleans
2) Virginia Beach
3) Arizona (Phoenix)
4) Texas (Gulf Coast area)
5) Mobile/Alabama Gulf Coast
6) Albuquerque
7) Las Vegas
8) Panama City, Florida/Panhandle

Thanks.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 12:21 PM
Brian

I will assume you've not previously visited any of these locations, correct?
If not, tell us what you enjoy most: great food, outdoor activities, museums, local culture? Are nice hotels important, or only a place to sleep? Car? Budget? How many days? All would affect my recommendations.
My favorite of the above is Arizona. Start in Phoenix, too late for a game at BankOne Ballpark probably, but that's a local favorite. I wouldn't spend a great deal of time in Phoenix/Scottsdale, perhaps a couple days. Drive north to Sedona. Visit the Grand Canyon (getting cool in October). If an open-ended flight itinerary can be arranged I'd try to keep going north to Las Vegas and the southern Utah national parks, fly out of Las Vegas.
I find Albuquerque a little dull, though Santa Fe is worth a short visit (3 days or so).
The Gulf beaches (Florida and Texas) are pretty straightforward beach trips and I much prefer the Florida (Destin, etc) beaches to Padre area or Alabama.
Las Vegas can be a whole trip in itself, using it as a base for some day trips to Lake Mead, Hoover Dam, Utah, even overnite trips to the grand Canyon. That would be my second choice overall.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 02:48 PM
Linda

If you choose the Texas Gulf Coast, then S. Padre is the best and the only place close enough to drive are the border towns in TX and Mexico. If beach is not the most important thing, then I recommend San Antonio--2 amusement parks, Riverwalk, Alamo, great food and jazz, circus museum, art museums, La Villeta, Octoberfest up the road in New Braunfels, German influence in the Hill Country 1 hour north with the LBJ TX White House. Corpus Christi has a nice beach and just 3 hours away by car. Try www.traveltex.com for more information.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 05:49 PM
frances

Dan,
New Orleans and Vegas have always been my least favorite cities in the US, however I especially can't see taking teenager there. Texas beaches are nothing like Florida or California so I would definitely recommend the Destin area. Looking at your list I would suggest AZ. Sedona is wonderful, like no where I've been and of course, the Grand Canyon is incredible. I really believe your teenagers will most enjoy AZ.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 07:58 AM
Paul Rabe

New Orleans and Las Vegas would not be advised for teenagers, as the best activities there (drinking, gambling, late nite shows & parties) are not things you would want your teenagers to be enjoying on a trip with you.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 05:42 AM
Bev

Dan,
October is a great month to be in Arizona. You can easily see Sedona, Phoenix/Scottsdale and the canyon in a week. Temperatures would be good in all 3 places with great swimming weather in Phoenix.

New Orleans is really not a good place for teenagers, as compared to your other selections.

One of the best trips I had was to Vegas - houseboating on Lake Mead. It was absolutely beautiful. I would chose that over any of the beaches you've mentioned.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 05:45 AM
Bev

Dan,
Here is a great web site to check for average weather conditions. www.worldclimate.com/climate/index.htm

That may help you make or at least further narrow your selection.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 08:01 AM
Cal

Have you left out California by mistake or design? Ocotber is the best month of the year for visiting California. Weather is great with warm and clear days.

Even though I love Las Vegas, I do agree that neither Las Vegas nor New Orleans is a very goood choice with kids.

Of all of the places on your list, I would choose Arizona hands down. Most of the others I would NOT visit period.

Unless you have some reason to exclude California then I would strongly consider it. You could combine Arizona with California if time permits.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 12:01 PM
Dan

Thanks for all the suggestions and information.

Cal- I left out California on purpose, that is probably my favorite destination (and I've been there 5 times in the past
3 years), we're just looking for some place new.

Thanks again!!

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 09:51 AM
tracey

By all means, go to the Florida panhandle. The beaches there are among the best in the country, Hawaii included.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 12:58 PM
Dave

I have lived in VA beach. It is mostly a concrete beach and not too appealing. Lots of Navy guys coming in on the weekends and blow some steam off. I have also lived down in Mississippi and made several trips down to the Gulf coast. MS. AL gulf coast is not attractive. The Fla. panhandle is a great spot, esp. the Destin/SanDestin area. I would also vote against N.O. I also lived there for about 5 yrs. and although the drinking that everyone talks about is mostly limited to drunk college kids on bourbon street, it would not be a great city to take teenage kids too. My vote would be for AZ (b/c I have never been there) or the FLA panhandle. Have fun wherever you go...

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 01:04 PM
Jeanette

Dan: Lots of good advise and Brian's is especially good. Northern Arizonia is just great for everyone and October will be fabulous. Slide Rock Canyon State Park and Oak Creek Canyon (both near Sedona) would be great for the teenagers. I'm been to all the others on your list except for VA beach and it is by far the best choice.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 03:10 PM
Paul

What do you like to do on vacation? Your desinations have such a wide variety of choices its hard to make suggestions. I would hate to recommend Phoenix if you really like the beach.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 07:59 AM
lisa

Of the options you've listed, I would choose either New Orleans or Phoenix -- or if you're looking for a beach destination, the Florida Panhandle (far less to do there than in New Orleans or Phoenix, but the beaches are lovely -- so only go there if you're up for a "beaches-only" vacation). Phoenix & the surrounding area is more outdoorsy than New Orleans so if you're into hiking, etc. I would choose Phoenix; if not, I'd choose New Orleans.

I've been to Virginia Beach and the Texas Gulf Coast and would NOT recommend them as both are nothing special in my opinion.

Some will say New Orleans is not good for teens but I disagree -- you can avoid the seedy stuff and there is lots of great, fun, historical stuff there for everyone.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 12:14 PM
kam

Arizona (GC and Sedona are musts), or Albuquerque (and Santa Fe) or, what about San Antonio/Austin? Great that time of year. I wouldn't even think about Va. Beach, the Texas coast,or Las Vegas. New Orleans can be done with teens, but as others say, it's more of a grownup party town. Good luck.

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 09:38 AM
Lisa

Dan,
My pick would be San Antonio.
San Antonio has tons of stuff for teenagers (and all ages actually)such as the amusements parks and cool restaurants to try. Haven't been to the Texas Gulf Coast but it would be alot easier to fit in the beach because it's not so far away from San Antonio and what teenager doesn't like any beach??
The only part of Arizona I was in was the Grand Canyon and while it was the most incredible sight I have ever seen there isn't much for teens to do unless they like hiking, rafting, etc.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 12:55 PM
Don Smith

I would like to suggest both Phoenix and Albuquerque in one trip. In October there will be the balloon fiesta in Albuquerque and the I-40/I-25 Interchange is messing up traffic. But if you can live with the crowds and drive on side streets then it should be fun. On your way to Phoenix you could hit Acoma Sky City, El Morro National Monument or Petrified Forest then stop in Flagstaff, AZ. From Flagstaff you could visit the Grand Canyon, Walnut Canyon or other national park service facilities.
Drive times:
ABQ to Flagstaff approx. 5 hrs
Flagstaff to GCNP approx. 1-1/2 hr.
Flagstaff to PHX approx. 2 hrs.
This doesn't include stops on the way.