Help me choose between Crowne Pointe Inn and the Fort Hill B&B on Cape Cod

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After researching places to stay on Cape Cod this summer I think I have narrowed it down to either the Crowne Pointe Inn or the Fort Hill B&B which are priced comparably. Having never been to Cape Cod - would love your input. Have you been to either or both? Which is best for a couple (in mid 30s; early 40s) who enjoy great restaurants and interesting watering holes, exploring villages and small towns, sailing, warm beaches and swimming. We were really looking for something with a water view – but finding that difficult for under $400/night. The Nantucket room at Fort Hill is not available which I understand is the better room (with a view) – if that impacts anyone’s opinion. We will have a car and staying for 4 nights. What is Provincetown like (I keep seeing references to the gay population -- but what else?) How does Provincetown compare to Eastham? Thanks for any thoughts, ideas you might have.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

ttt please
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 06:41 AM

There's not much going on in Eastham besides beaches...that's sort of the point. But, Eastham is only 3 miles wide from Ocean to Bay, and 7 miles long from Orleans to Wellfleet. So your location in Eastham will not limit you, nor will you feel stuck in the "boonies".
You can easily spend days and nights exploring watering holes/fine dining only a couple of minutes away in Orleans (see Abba, Mahoney's Ocean Grill, Academy Ocean Grill, Land Ho, Captain Linnell House, Joe's Bar and Grill at the Barley Neck In, Nauset Beach Club, Beacon etc), the Beach Break or Sea Dog in Eastham, or in Wellfleet (Wicked Oyster, Mac's, Winslow Tavern, bookstore etc.) If you drive 20 minutes south you will be in Chatham with another whole group of choices and of course Provincetown (30 minutes to the north) has way too many places to mention. If you want to really relax and drink your self silly you are better off staying in Provincetown where you will most likely be among like-minded folks and won't have to drive back to Eastham.
As for the water...it is all around you in Eastham and Provincetown. I wouldn't put such a heavy emphasis on having a room with a water view if you are at Fort HIll because all you have to do is walk out the door and you will have access to miles of unimpeded ocean-views and walks. You can walk to the boat landing nearby to set up a couple of chairs or perch on one of the large boulders and watch the blue herons and ospreys in Nauset Marsh. We have stayed at Fort Hill and the cottage is definitely our favorite just because it has so much space....but we have also stayed in the suite downstairs in the house which is also beautiful and has a very refined, luxurious feeling with a piano, oriental carpets and big bathroom with an extra deep tub for soaking away the salt and sea. We like to get up in the morning and take a cup of coffee to the top of Fort Hill to watch the sun reflect off the ocean water..we have even seen whales spouting off shore!
When we stay in Eastham we always go to Provincetown for a day and night of fun but there is way too much noise and crowd for us. So we prefer to stay at Fort Hill and take day trips to Chatham, Wellfleet, Provincetown and of course spend days at the beach. To be honest, after a long day of walking, sight-seeing and sunning on the beach we like to come back to our room for a nap and have a couple of hours to relax in peace and quiet. Then we head out for dinner, drinks and a show...either something at the WHAT in Wellfleet, one of those hilarious shows in Provincetown, or a folk concert at the First Encounter Coffee House in Eastham.

It's difficult to explain Provincetown. Great place to people watch. People of all shapes sizes and persuasions walking the streets at all hours of the day and night. Some places cater mainly to gays or lesbians but a straight couple would also be welcome. Some clubs like the A house (Atlantic House) are so crowded you literally can't turn around...if you are a women...hang on to your man! But there are wonderful restaurants, a fair number of tee-shirt shops mixed in with the nicer boutiques. There is a nice Fine Arts Museum and lots of art galleries as well. You should not come to cape cod without spending a day in Provincetown. Do you need to stay there? I do not think so.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 09:32 AM
jd

Provincetown is really crowded in the summer for the most part. The streets can be wall to wall people. There are some good restaurants and shops there, and Race Point is a really nice beach.There are whale watch boats leaving from there as well. Personally, I would do a day trip there.
Eastham is nice for the beaches. I prefer Orleans, where there is more to do, and has the choice of Nauset Beach or Skaket Beach which is warmer and on the bay.
Have you thought about staying in Falmouth. It's a nice town with good restaurants. We like staying at the SeaCrest Resort, which is on the ocean, and has an indoor and outdoor pool as well. Water is warmer there for swimming.www.seacrest-resort.com
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 09:34 AM
jd

Sorry
www.seacrest-resort.com
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 09:39 AM

I personally love Provincetown, I especially like being able to walk to bars and restaurants at night. And Race Point Beach is one of the best on the Cape, love it there.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:41 PM

Provincetown, located at the very end of the Cape has many of the characteristics you will find at "end of the road" spots around the world. i spend my summers and as much time as is possible enjoying the street seen, but more importantly enjoying the water activity, the beaches which include some of the best the country has o offer, and of course the seeminlgly endless suply of great resteraunts ane galleries. PK, now lets be realistic. Its your first tiem on the Cape, you want to capture the best of all worlds and it seems price does not scare you .... have you looke at Chatham Bars Inn in CHnatham or perhaps Weaqusatn Inn? Both are in the very civilized vilage of Chatham ....an antithis of Ptown ....maybe stay their and visist Ptown a day or two....or do teh reverse.....
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 07:24 AM

CBI was sold last year, much of the staff quit over disagreements with the new management. I would do a thorough check before I spent that kind of money for a few nights. However, if money really is no object then specify you want an ocean view room and bring your platinum card!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Provincetown,CBTraveler. will be very crowded, lots of people strolling through town, and noisy. Love the restaurants in P'town, and the boutiques- but be prepared for many "souvenir shops" and a touristy atmosphere on the main street. it will be noisy. From your description of yourself, I would think you would enjoy Wellfleet, a charming village, where you may walk to many galleries, restaurants and hike Great Island and over Uncle Tim's Bridge, or Chatham, a larger village, very walkable, and more good restaurants and great boutiques. Chatham Bars Inn is gorgeous ( we were there at the annual Xmas tour of Inns in Chatham, but very pricey. There are some lovely Inns on Main Street, just before Shore Road, at the far end of the village that are lovely, yet still within walking distance to activities. We especially liked the Cyrus Kent House, The Captains Inn,The Moses Nickerson House,and the Cranberry Inn.
Eastham is basically a beach destination. Though the National Seashore trails are wonderful, and Fort Hill is an experience, there is no village, or center, and few restaurants, galleries or shops. The ocean and bay beaches are lovely, but they are all that way heading down to Provincetown. This months edition of Cape Cod Life, a monthly magazine, has an overview of the Cape Cod towns, which might be helpful to you.