Cape Cod residents please help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to be in Boston the last weekend of April and am interested in driving through the towns south of Boston and then spending a few days in Cape Cod, with emphasis on architecture and scenery. What kind of weather and temperatures can I expect the first week in May? Are B&Bs open yet?
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Yes, B&B's will be open. The weather is anyone's guess. It could be in the 70's or quite chilly and windy, 50's and 60's. It is usually 10 degrees cooler than the weather in Boston. (10 degrees warmer in the winter).

If you drive down 6A from Sandwich to Orleans you will see lots of antique houses, many belonged to sea captains. This is the longest preserved road in the country. Lots of tough regs about what you can do or not do to the exterior of your home.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 09:21 AM

Lorraine, We often visit the Cape off-season. If you decide to take gomiki's advice, I think you will enjoy the ride. 6A is one of the 10 most scenic roads in the country, although you will not get much of a sense of the water from the road.

To get a feeling of old Cape Cod near the ocean go just past Orleans in to Eastham. I highly recommend the Fort Hill Bed and Breakfast, which is the only lodging on the ocean side in the National Seashore. The entire Fort Hill Area, including this B+B, a whaling captain's house/museum, and one other grand home) , is on the National Register of Historic Places, preserved and a historic landscape. From Fort Hill you can walk along the trails to Nauset Marsh and have unusual, panoramic views to Coast Guard Beach and the Atlantic

If you decide to stay in the more developed mid-cape area, you probably would prefer to stay close to 6A rather than on Rt. 28 which is commercial and can get quite busy.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Yes 6A is a must do and then the drive to Eastham and out all the way toward Provincetown toward The National Seashore. As you drive through Truro, go off toward the bay and keep an eye out for stunning modern homes with grand views of the water. Have a map hand and drive off route 6 on the sound side as well- the vistas can be breathtaking. Sunsets all along the way are lovely - my favorite is Herring Cove Beach for sunset.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 01:15 PM

here are some links to my blog. we have a house in west dennis and spend a lot of time there in the summer! also we stayed for a weekend at The Cranberry Inn a B&B in Chatam.

link to info about the cape (mostly places to eat!):
http://marztravels.blogspot.com/2008/03/cape.html

link to review of the Cranberry Inn:
http://marztravels.blogspot.com/2008...to-chatam.html