Reload this Page >

Help leaving Boston, driving to Salem

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 07:11 PM
Toni

We are looking forward to our first trip to New England in Oct. We land in Boston at approx 4:00 and are spending the first night in Salem. I have heard that driving out of the airport can be an ordeal and would appreciate any directions or help you can provide. Thank you!

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 04:08 AM
Pris

Better hope your plane is late. Otherwise, by the time you pick up the car, you are leaving Logan at rushhour, which is, indeed, a nightmare. Consider seriously having a drink or dinner at one of the nearby hotels until about 7 or later.

Getting out of Logan is a mess, too, and anything we tell you today may be changed tomorrow because of the everlasting construction. But follow the car rental agent's instructions for getting out of the airport and heading north. They'll give you a map and it's pretty easy to get to Salem on Rt. 1, so long as you stay alert at the rotaries.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 04:26 AM
betsy

You should'nt have too many problems with traffic out of Logan because you will be headed in the opposite direction of the contstruction bottleneck, AKA the Big Dig. When you get out of the airport, head North on Route 1A. You can either take 1A all the way to Salem, or when you get to Revere, follow signs to Route 1, get on Route 1 North, then get on 95 N, then 128 N, then Route 114 East to Salem. Hope you have a good time!

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 07:58 AM
betsy

Hi Toni-
Pris and I have conflicting opinions on this matter! Yes, you will have traffic assuming you're coming during the week. But, since you're going to Salem, you don't need to go through the tunnels into Boston which is where the construction nightmare is. Definately plan on a little extra time getting to Salem though because of rush hour traffic. As Pris mentioned, you may want to wait it out--driving in Boston can be scary esp during rush hour if you're not familiar with the area!! If you have time when in Salem and you like seafood, drive up to Essex (about 20min north) and go to either Woodmans or Farnhams for great fried clams!

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 12:33 PM
Toni

Hi Pris and Betsy,
Thanks for the great information. North on route 1A north...and watch the rotaries. I live in L.A. which has some pretty horrific traffic and the drivers can be a bit testy too, but I'm freaked out about Boston as I don't know what it expect and have heard horror stories. We are sure looking forward to our trip though and will most definitely stop in Essex on our way north for some fried clams...yummy!!! Our second night will be in Kennebunkport...were making a big loop and will be back in Boston for the last 3 nights. We are going to drop off the car at the airport and then take a taxi back to our hotel. We were told that we don't need a car in Boston...Any suggestions on where to eat? We like all types of food and love the local places too.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 12:48 PM
betsy

Toni--
For Italian in Boston, head to the North End. There are tons of great places to eat. Mama Maria is good, as is Florentine. For seafood, Legal's, Turner Fisheries, and Atlantic Seafood Co. are good. Durgin Park and Union Oyster House are good too, but overpriced!
For a good tour, take the boston Duck Tours (www.bostonducktours.com).
Have fun!

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 09:24 AM
penny

Toni,

I live in Swampscott, one of the towns that adjoins Salem.

If you're used to driving in LA, you should be fine. I recommend following 1A north. It may take you a little longer, but it's more direct. The Boston area has, generally, terrible signage. I'm fairly confident that 1A North is posted pretty well.

Where are you staying in Salem? Perhaps I can give you more exact directions.

There are some wonderful places to eat in Salem: the Grapevine Restaurant on Congress St.; Cafe Graziano (Graziani?) on Washington St.; and others.

In Boston, I agree that the North End is wonderful--you almost can't go wrong.
I suggest you post your question about Boston restaurants separately--with a different title, so you get more responses. Perhaps you've already done so.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 02:34 PM
Toni

Hi Betsy and Penny,
Betsy: I've heard Mama Maria's mentioned several times and it sounds like a good choice...thanks for your input! I think we will most likely have to be their early for a weekend dinner??
Penny: Were probably not going to get to Salem until around 7:00 (I'm assuming, if our plane lands at approx 4:00) and I hadn't even thought about dinner in Salem so thanks for the suggestions. We are staying at the Morning Glory Inn right across the street from the House of the Seven Gables. Have you seen the Morning Glory, or heard anything about it? The owner has been very very nice & extremely helpful...were only going to be there one night and part of the next day before we head north...is there anything that you think is a must see? We are going to go to the House of 7 gables and I wanted to see the Witch Museum but have heard people say that it's tacky and very touristy (so, I'm a tourist!) What's your opinion?