HELP Itinerary for San Diego, LA and Disneyland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really thought I had my itinerary down for our trip in March but aftering reading some posts I am concerned about not having enough time at Disneyland. Here is what I thought:
We fly into LAX on Friday night and will stay close to LAX. To rent a car Friday instead of Saturday was a lot more money.
Saturday morning drive to Disneyland and spend the night
Sunday head to San Diego maybe do the zoo
Monday- whale watch (we will be there in March) and animal park in afternoon
Tuesday- Sea world
Wed- drive up the coast to LA (beaches maybe a winery)
Thurs- Catalina Island Hollywood in the evening
Fri- Universial studios
Fly home Sat
The question I have is since we won't get to Disneyland early, do we really have enough time there?(we will have our 12 year old with us)
Also I heard Disney is crowded on weekends. Would it be better to
Drive down to San Diego spend 3 nights, drive from San Diego to Disneyland spend 2 nights and then the last 2 nights in LA (cutting our time in LA but that will allow us to be in Disneyland mid-week instead of the weekend, with more time)
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 06:28 PM

Disneyland is much smaller than Disneyworld, but I'm not sure that one day is enough to see it... especially if you have to drive down from LA that day too.

Our local amusement parks do get a bit crowded on weekends, but I don't think they'll be too bad in March.

Also, have you thought about a supershuttle or other transport from LAX to Disney on Friday? That way, you wouldn't have to pay for a rental until Sunday (you won't need the rental while anywhere near Disneyland).

I'm not sure if you've bought your tickets yet, but most airlines let you fly into one city and depart another city close by for little or no extra money. It might be worth it to fly into LAX and depart San Diego.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 09:29 PM

Wow, you have a busy trip here and a lot of driving...and will definitely hit traffic! Yes, more time in Disneyland would be a good idea because there is also California Adventure nearby. I wouldn't recommend Catalina and Hollywood in the same day; the trip to Catalina warrants a whole day in itself and then coming back from that trip and working your way over to Hollywood is a big endeavor. Pick one or two of Sea World, Zoo, Animal Park. You won't find a winery on the coast from San Diego to LA and would have to go inland for winery to Temecula. Probably idea of flying into LA and out of San Diego is the best idea so you don't have to do so much driving back/forth; spend time in San Diego Mission Bay and beaches -- they are very nice!
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. I am thinking now we should get a taxi from LAX to Anaheim Friday night. Then maybe we could just spend all day Saturday at Disney and leave Sunday for San Diego. I know there is a lot of traffic but I didn't think this was as much driving as mentioned above. We would be spending 3 nights in San Diego and yes then drive up to LA and spend 2-3 more nights
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Since you're arriving at LAX, your first Sat & Sun should be spent on the attractions of Los Angeles since traffic is much easier to deal with on Sat & Sun around L.A. Best Disney days are usually Wed Thurs Fri.
March can be rainy so I would book Catalina in advance, you might end up tossing that plan.
How early do you fly out on the 2nd Saturday?
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Since you're arriving at LAX, your first Sat & Sun should be spent on the attractions of Los Angeles since traffic is much easier to deal with on Sat & Sun around L.A. Best Disney days are usually Wed Thurs Fri.
March can be rainy so I WOULDN'T book Catalina in advance, you might end up tossing that plan.
How early do you fly out on the 2nd Saturday?
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 07:17 AM
lvk

I would skip Catalina and schedule a whale watching tour out of Long Beach on that day instead (freeing up one of your San Diego days). Check out www.2seewhales.com. You could also take in the Aquarium of the Pacific and even the Queen Mary (since you'll be in the neighborhood) that day and still make it to Hollywood in the evening.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 07:43 AM

I'm not sure what your premium is for picking up the rental car on Fr vs Sat, but a cab ride from LAX to Anaheim will be over $100.

I also doubt you can do both the animal park and a whale watch on the same day. Animal park is an hour north of San Diego and takes three or four hours to do.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Your itinerary does seem too back-and-forth, and has the grim feel of the Bataan Death March to me. You're going to have to relax and not try to see and do everything possible in southern California. Traffic will play a role in what activities you will realistically get to do.

Others have pointed out conceptual flaws, like the fact that there are no wineries on the coast between SD and LA. And the "coast drive" between SD and LA is realistically only between San Clemente and the outskirts of Long Beach, although there are some stretches of the 5 with ocean views. And Catalina? Let's clear up something right here: It's a barrier island. Twenty-two miles from Long Beach. By boat. It's at least forty-five minutes each way, by the fastest ferry possible. It will take you at least an additional forty-five minutes to an hour to get inland to Hollywood from whichever port you use.

Your idea of a taxi to Anaheim Friday night is just bad. SuperShuttle or Prime Time Shuttle are MUCH more cost-effective ways to get to the Disneyland area. At least you've abandoned the idea of staying near LAX your first night. A REALLY, REALLY BAD idea.

Maybe you're unclear on how spread-out this area is. LA is vast and sprawling. Guess what? San Diego is vast and sprawling as well-- it's just a smaller city than LA. The San Diego Zoo is nowhere near SeaWorld. Nor is it near the Wild Animal Park. Nor near Legoland. Your itinerary will require a HUGE amount of time in a car. I personally would devote two weeks to such a schedule, if only because down time is very important.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:51 AM

I think a lot of responses are out of wack. Non rush hour driving times are not bad, meaning after 9am and on weekends. San Diego Zoo to Seaworld, 12 to 15 minutes , Wild Animal Park to Legoland 25-30 minutes. Lax to Disneyland 45- 50 minutes. You can have a nice drive from San Diego to Temecula for wineries and then take Ortega Highway route 74 over the hill to Dana Point and follow the coast through the beach cities all in one day back to LA.
It is bis in SOCAl but we have good roads and just stay out of rush hour traffic.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sat & Sun LA
Hollywood Blvd Sat til noon, Universal all afternoon & into the evening.
Sun tour L.A./beachesBev Hills, Sunday night drive down to San Diego
Sun Mon Tues night San Diego, Wednesday drive to Animal park and then evening in Anaheim
Thurs & Fri Disneyland and drive to LAX Sat morning.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Is it really much better to try to stay in LA on the weekend even if we stay around Universal Studios or Beverly Hills? I think we are left with 2 options. Go ahead rent a car when we get into LAX Fri evening - which isn't until 9:30PM. Drive maybe 45 min-1 hour South not sure where.
Sat- do the Wild animal park or the Zoo in San Diego since it sounds like I can't do the zoo, park, seaworld and whalewatch in 3 days.. Sunday- Whalewatch, Monday- Seaworld. Tues and Wed- Disneyland. Leave Thursday for LA (free day maybe Hollywood at night) Friday-Universal Studios and fly out Saturday. Our flight is at 11am Sat. The only other option I see is what someone suggested above. Stay In LA for the weekend maybe Sat Universial Sun- LA until afternoon and drive to San Diego stay until Thurs morning drive to Disneyland for 2 nights and then head to LAX early Saturday morning. I did try to fly into one airport and out of another but it was considerably more money. It sounds like I have too much planned maybe 1 activity a day would be better.