What to wear in the US?

May 30th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

What to wear in the US?

Ok, I have read the posts on proper attire when in US & I don't think it really helps. One person says one thing & others say something else. I need to know the what the real deal is on attire. I will be in the US for 2 days then it's off to Canada for the rest of our vacation. Thanks for any help.

p.s. If someone is wondering why Iīm asking this, it is because many people ask these kind of questions on the Europe board and as a European I find it hard to belive some people actually have this kind of problems. Maybe Iīve been ignorant on my previous trips to the US, but this time I want to have the proper attire.

May 30th, 2005, 04:12 AM

Running around naked in the US is against the law, lol!

Where are you going in the US? City, beach, country? Hiking, fine dining, sightseeing?

Usually, in the US, we see a bit of everything. I bet you wonder why that is...well, the fact of the matter is that we have visitors from around the globe, each with their own sense of fashion and style. Therefore it is very, very, difficult to generalize.
May 30th, 2005, 04:57 AM
dcespedes

"Running around naked in the US is against the law"

It is?! Oooops..... quot;>

May 30th, 2005, 04:58 AM

Maybe it would help if you said where you are going in the US.
May 30th, 2005, 05:08 AM

dcespedes, what you do in your own backyard is your own business, LOL

Helsinkiflyer: Are you visiting a hot or moderate climate? That will also impact what you decide to pack.

"Maybe Iīve been ignorant on my previous trips to the US, but this time I want to have the proper attire."

What did you wear last time you visited the US that has you so worried?
May 30th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

This far Iīve brought what I could quite easily carry and what was appropriate concidering the weather. I havenīt really given much thought for this clothing issue. Maybe thatīs because Iīm a man. =) I think I shouldnīt worry so much. Thank you all for your help.
May 30th, 2005, 05:18 AM

Just don't wear white socks with sandals, please!
May 30th, 2005, 05:29 AM
dcespedes

seetheworld is right! Years ago, my step-father did this while visiting my husband and I in San Antonio. We were walking along the river when a barge full of people stopped so the barge operator could make fun of him wearing white socks with shoes! Everybody laughed, including my step-father, who indulged them even further by posing

"I think I shouldn't worry so much" -- amen! I hope you enjoy a great trip!

May 30th, 2005, 06:12 AM

You really didn't say where you'll be going or what you'll be doing. I'm assuming you're coming for a vacation and not on business. Dress in the US is very casual. So, dress for the weather, either shorts, t-shirt or polo type shirt, sneakers or sandals. Previous posters are correct - NO socks with sandals! If it's cooler, swap the shorts for jeans or casual long cotton pants like khakis. Americans wear jeans everywhere. Bring a windbreaker or sweatshirt for cooler weather. Restaurants are also casual. You can wear shorts and jeans in most or you'll always be OK with khakis and a polo type shirt except at a few fine dining city places. This goes for men and women. Hope this helps. Have fun.
May 30th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Fairhope

Nobody really cares what you wear. One man's treasure another man's junk!!

May 30th, 2005, 08:12 AM
bonniebroad

Let's put it this way: However you dress, you'll see someone just like you............ (Even if you wear socks with your sandals ...... )

May 30th, 2005, 08:38 AM

When I see men 25-45 wearing socks with sandals, I assume that they are programmers. In Silicon Valley, many enginerds wear these two together.

Two days ago - at a beach in Santa Cruz, I saw a male & female couple and both were wearing mismatched striped shirts and plaid pants in brownish colors. They did not match each other and they did not match themselves. It was quite odd, but we also see people wearing two different tie-dye prints for shirt and pants.

Although I don't do it myself, I have told visitors in the past they could wear anything they find at GAP and they won't look "out of place" in the states.
May 30th, 2005, 08:59 AM

who cares?

this is not a legitimate question as it's clear from the poster that this is only meant to prove some sort of point or stir up controversy concerning the same question being asked by americans on the european board. don't know what the point is and anyway it's clear that it's lost on everyone from the responses.
May 30th, 2005, 11:13 AM

If you are male and wear your Speedo on the beach, you may be arrested for "grape smuggling", a common foreign crime.
May 30th, 2005, 01:29 PM

First of all gain like 50 lbs, then wear a huge white t-shirt with any kind of print on it, jeans and nasty big tennis shoes. In summary, dress like a slob and you'll fit in fine. If you dress up and look classy you'll stand out like a sore thumb.
May 30th, 2005, 01:37 PM

What a lovely person you must be, Stephanie. I believe it's what inside that counts most. I do hope that you are not an American.
May 30th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Really, about all you have to worry about is if you go to a fancy upscale restaurant or nightclub. Then, you will need a sport jacket, shirt and tie. Other than that, anything seems to go. What ever you are comfortable with.

I see the tourists that come to our city, and I can't help but wonder what on earth they wear when they are home. Slobhood seems to just come naturally to some people.
Jun 5th, 2005, 04:16 PM
GoTravel

How about clean and neat?

Jun 5th, 2005, 04:40 PM

The assumption is that there places in the world where people all look and dress like fashion models and somehow Americans are terribly tacky.

Having travelled interntaionally, I've seen a lot of poorly dressed locals everywhere, including France, italy, and Brazil.
Jun 5th, 2005, 04:51 PM
GoTravel

Mike, you owe me a new monitor as I just spewed diet ginger ale all over mine! LOL!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO