help--info on kauai's best western plantation hale

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We--I, husband, two little girls--are going to Kauai one week July to August. Would appreciate input on the Best Western Plantation Hale. We are looking for inexpensive lodging with these must-haves: air-conditioning, a pool, and daily maid service. Other ideas? Thanks for your help, well-informed Fodorites.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:26 PM

Well...it's in the Express Holiday Inn category. Not bad, centrally located, moderately-priced. Probably a 2-out-of-5-star rating.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, auntiemaria. So does that mean you'd recommend it? The reason we're considering it for six days is because we are planning to splurge on the last two days, possibly at the Hyatt.

Other recommendations would be appreciated with A/C, pool, maid, anyone. Thx.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:33 PM

Anne, I have not stayed at the Plantation Hale, but did stay very close by at the Islander on the Beach a couple of years ago. I did not care for the location of the Plantation Hale; it seemed to me it was very close to the highway. It is not beachfront, if that matters to you--however the beach there is not really swimmable anyway, though it is pretty. to get to the beach you will have to walk through a parking lot and cut through another hotel's grounds, or walk through a large open field that is not very "scenic". Do you have a copy of the Ultimate Kaua'i Guidebook? the maps of hotel locations and the aerial photos are helpful as far as envisioning locations.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, aloha! Actually, I just posted a question about the Islander on the Beach. I'm considering that hotel, as well. What was your experience? Would you recommend it? Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:51 PM

Islander on the Beach is a much nicer property -- and even though the beach it is on is not swimmable, they've got a pool:
http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/krislander.html

You'll be within walking distance of one of our larger shopping centers, with restaurants, shops, and a movie theater.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:35 PM

Anne, I wanted to mention another option--Aloha Beach resort. It is a couple of miles from the Islander on the Beach, Plantation Hale, and Coconut Marketplace. It is adjacent to Lydgate Park which has an area where a rock wall has been built in the ocean to create a calm pool. This is a nice swimming area and it is a popular snorkeling spot because fish swim in and out of the pool. I was impressed with some bright turquoise fish that seemed to be at least a foot long--you could see them from the surface, and we saw several. There is also a playground in the park. The beach along here I thought was just gorgeous, and a great area to walk. I believe there is also a paved walk next to the beach here.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

So, ladies, you would recommend Islander on the Beach over the Best Western? Are rooms better? I'll go check out the Aloha Beach Resort as well.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:43 PM

You will have more room for your family at Best Western as the units have kitchen, living room, separate bedroom. But I do not love the location as it is right next to the highway. There is nothing special to recommend about this complex. A huge field separates this property from the (unswimmable) ocean.

I do like Islander's cute tropical grounds and location better but the accommodations are basic hotel rooms, not like an apartment.

Check the prices at Kauai Coast Resort which is adjacent to the Islander and the Plantation Hale, but their units may be too pricey if you are seeking budget.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.kauaisandshotel.com/Kauai...spx?HotelID=4a

For a real value look at the kauai sands...not the ritz but who cares, the ocean is right outside.