Search

Help in San Fran

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 07:29 PM
Sandy

Help in San Fran

We are making plans for a June "first time" visit. Do we need a car all week or just for the couple of days we venture away from the city. Is the wharf the best area to stay for walking to see the tourist spots? How reliable are the cablecars for getting around? Is there transportation from the airport to the city hotels?

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 07:59 PM
Kathy

I live and work in San Francisco. I would recommend that you do NOT rent a car while in the City. If you are going outside the City, then definitely rent the car.

Contrary to popular belief, there are only three cable car lines in the City, but they do go to most of the touristy areas...Union Square, Chinatown, Embarcadero, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square, North Beach, Nob Hill. The cable cars run about three to four times an hour. You can also get around on the bus, Metro, streetcars (different from cable cars), and Bart (subway to the East Bay). There are daily transit passes for sale.

If you're flying into SFO, you can take the Supershuttle (approx $12/person) which will take you to your hotel - they're not supposed to make more than 3 stops. Most City hotels don't offer airport transportation (unless you pay a fee).

Have a fun time...and remember, it's usually not as warm in San Francisco in June as it is in the rest of the country.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 07:28 AM
Jud Compton

We're taking our North Carolina granddaughter to San Francisco in April and have been checking web links.

You won't need a car (it's almost a handicap) unless you want to go outside the city -- say Muir Woods (a must if you have time).

Several years ago, we spent two weeks on walking tours of the city and used buses (or cable cars) to get us back to the hotel downtown.

This time, we're staying at the Columbus Motor Inn close to Fisherman's Wharf.

Another tip: We're flying in to Oakland and saving about $100 on our airfare. There is transportation to the inn, but that's supposed to be $45 for the three of us.

For some other ideas and web links, please check http://www.geocities.com/judcomp . Just click on San Francisco.

And have a great time!

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 10:16 AM
Caitlin

An alternative to staying at Fisherman's Wharf that will probably cost less is to stay in the Union Square area. Walking and transportation to the tourist spots is perfevtly convenient, and you won't be stuck in an area that is *nothing* but tourists. Also, you'll be much closer to much better retaurants than at Fisherman's Wharf.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 02:34 PM
kam

All very good advice. Do not rent a car--it's just a burden when you are in the city. You can easily rent cars in the city for daytrips and much faster than at SFO. Depending on where you are going outside the city, you might find bus tours going there as well. I would agree with staying in the Union Square area. Quite honestly, as much as I love SF, I really hate to be at Fisherman's Wharf for more than 5 minutes. North Beach is a nice neighborhood for walking and little restaurants as is Pacific Heights. It doesn't take much to learn how to use Muni--now if someone could make it more efficient, we'd like it better.It will get you where you're going, but don't expect reliable, on schedule, efficient but, that's part of the charm of SF! You might like to take the ferry over to Sausalito or Tiburon (wonderful Mexican restaurant there called Guaymas with great views back.)or take the Alcatraz tour--reserve ahead and make it a time when the June gloom fog has burned off--about 11:30 or noon would be ideal. The one cable car route that would get you to Ghiradelli/the Cannery/Fisherman's Wharf/Nob Hill etc. starts just downhill from Union Square and goes up Powell Street, over Nob Hill and then down to the more touristy area. And, absolutely take the Super Shuttle to get in from SFO. Bring a light jacket or blazer because it gets chilly when the fog rolls in. Good new is--no rain that time of year. Lots of other good advice at sfgate.com. Enjoy.