Reload this Page >

Atlanta-"The" place to eat

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 09:55 AM
Paul

Can anyone tell me where "the" happening places are to have dinner are in Atlanta? What's hot, what's fun, what's neat?
Thanks.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 10:50 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Currently, the hottest tables in town are at BluePoint in Buckhead. It's gotten good reviews though there is some concern with whether the staff is up to the crush of people. http://www.accessatlanta.com/enterta...tml/restnum=37

Sotto Sotto in Inman Park is great for affordable Northern Italian and is still packing in a hip intown crowd. http://www.accessatlanta.com/enterta...ml/restnum=384

The Food Business at the King Plow Arts Center just west of Midtown is pretty impressive for its architecture and its food.

Dish in Virginia Highlands has gotten rave reviews for its cool atmosphere and good food (I haven't been able to get in yet).

Eno, a new restaurant in Midtown, has good food (Italian) and an amazing wine list. A tad expensive, but very "now".

My favorite discovery in a long time is Watershed in Decatur (about 15 minutes from Downtown or Midtown). It's part owned by one of the Indigo Girls and can be as casual as you want to be (though some still dress to impress). The wine list is better than Eno (though Eno has more by the glass) and the food is absolutely fantastic. Not cheap by and means, but for my money the best I've had in a while. Sort of new American with lots of fresh ingredients. No reservations.

If you're looking for something in particular, post back.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 05:11 PM
steve

Just to add a few others to the previous posters excellent suggestions:
The number 1 rated restaurant in Atlanta is usually Bachanalia. It has just moved to a new location in an old warehouse type building in front of the restaurant is an upscale food market that is wonderful. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and has great city views as well. Although it is wonderful I'm not sure it falls into the "fun" category--a bit more serious but truly a treat!
Noche is a fairly new Southwestern place in the Virginia Highland area. It has good food and is a very "hot" spot right now.
Deux Plex near Midtown on Cheshire Bridge Road is a pretty happening place with reasonably priced food with a dance club on the lower level.
Fusebox in Buckhead is popular with the dressed in black chichi crowd. The food is fusion style and the decor is very chic.
For something very casual and always happening try Vickery's in midtown.
Floataway Cafe(same owners as Bachanalia) is very popular and has great food as well.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 09:12 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I knew that I'd miss some biggies, but figured correctly that Steve would more than adequately make up for it. Floataway is a great recommendation - excellent food with a high energy (noise) level. Be sure to make reservations in advance.

If you're staying in Buckhead, then Fusebox should definitely be on your list. I can't believe I forgot it.

Vickery's is one of our favorites for a casual meal - plus it's located in a small entertainment district with other bars and nightclubs.

Steve, I haven't been to Deux Plex yet. How's the food, what's the dress and do you need reservations for the upstairs? Thanks.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 04:53 PM
steve

I thought the food at Deux Plex was pretty good and reasonably priced. The cuisine is sort of French bistroesque. The attire appeared to be along the anything goes line-lots of black. I've only been once and it was on Valentine's day and we had reservations, but the place is very large so you might not need them on a regular night.