Search

Help in finding the right vacation rental/island

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help in finding the right vacation rental/island

Hello

There seems to be so much to choose from on the Southeast coast. My sisters and I want to visit the coastal towns such as Savannah, Charleston, Etc. but what I have found to rent so far with a "water" view seems to have homes right next door...Not much privacy.

If I described a desired home like on the movie "message in a bottle" where you walk out onto swaying trees on your property, beach and clam digging right at your front door... Am I out of touch with reality?

I wanted to travel throughout the day to see neighboring islands etc. but return to a quaint home for relaxation.

Can someone point me in some direction as to where to stay!

BTW, I thought of Beaufort but what I have read so far here is it is a very, very boring town to spend a week in.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Someone's been reading a little too much Nicholas Sparks! Seriously--there are very few places like that--and they are probably booked for the summer (weekly rentals). There are a couple of barrier islands (St. Simons, Jekyll) that have resorts. You might try Bald Island in NC--outside of Beaufort is a large resort--Fripp Island. Good luck!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Sorry for my catty comments--Greyfield Inn on Cumberland Island may fit the bill.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 01:12 PM
GoTravel

There are some islands that are restricting building but the bottom line is that there is little waterfront property left.

My suggestion would be a house on Sullivan's Island. The lots are all pretty big, lots of locals live on the island, and the houses are quite far back from the ocean.

Plus you are only a 20 minute drive to downtown Charleston.

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
GoTravel

BTW, Beaufort is about 40 minutes from the ocean.

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 01:14 PM
GoTravel

Also forgot to add that Message In A Bottle was not filmed in the Carolinas or Georgia. Looked more like Maine to me.

Old Mar 19th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone

Yea, I also looked where the movie was filmed and it was Maine. And
Travlmaven, I didn't take offense, I knew when I typed that description of what we were wanting, I was probably not in a realistic world.

I'll look into your suggestions.

Thanks again
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Bald Head was the only place that came to mind, & you will pay dearly.

Old Mar 19th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi again,

I looked into Bald Island. That seems very interesting as they do not allow cars on the island. But we were more interested in being closer to Charleston on the South Carolina coast.

Since I'm posting, can you dig for clams on various islands and could you tell me just in general what are the pluses in renting a home on the marsh/canal side. I realize the price will be lower than ocean front but are there any good points in renting
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM

Outerbanks NC you would have way more privacy. The homes you can rent are incredible and while there are homes next door they are by no means on top of each other. You wouldn't be able to hear the neighbors and each house has its own beach access for a lot of areas esp North outerbanks near Duck
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Renting a house on a tidal creek or a marsh offers a different perspective... you have the wonderful smell of pluff mud, watching sunsets, the rustling sounds of the marsh grasses from the slight breezes and no tourists crossing along your space. Renting on the beach can sometimes be a hassle because of parking day-trippers or crowds. Some people prefer the marsh or tidal creek area.

We aren't much for clamming, but you can certainly do some crabbing, some fishing, some flounder gigging, some shrimping or some oystering - depending on the time of year of your visit. Some people clam but it isn't as big as it is in the northeast or the Maryland/Virginia areas...
Property is way too expensive for the luxury of the type of privacy you are looking for - unless you can find your own island. These homes are million dollar homes on tiny lots...
Edisto Island is a bit more remote and less crowded than Folly Beach, Sullivans or Isle of Palms. Sullivans is quaint, old, and has many family homes still - restaurants and just a few minutes from Mt. Pleasant and Charleston.
Isle of Palms is more tourist-driven, has Wild Dunes gated community and some year round families. It is also close to Charleston and Mt. Pleasant. Charleston has a lot to offer but keep in mind, if you visit in the late spring or summer, it is hot, humid, and you will feel like you are melting.
Yes, a week in Beaufort, although a beautiful town, would be a bit long unless you just want to sit on your front porch and sip mint juleps = which isn't a bad idea.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 06:43 PM
GoTravel

explorefamily has given you some good advice.

Honestly, it sounds like your best bet would be Sullivans Island.

But, as explorefamily pointed out, Sullivans is very expensive and has seven night minimum stays Memorial Day through Labor Day.

BTW, if this is a summer rental, you'll want to spend your days on the beach and nights inland. Too hot to head downtown during the day.

If you go outside of season, you can usually get them to rent 3 or 4 nights unless it is a holiday weekend.

Old Mar 19th, 2008, 06:48 PM
GoTravel

Forgot to add, the sunsets are the best part of renting on the marsh and you'll probably also have an ocean view.

Get a copy of The Prince of Tides and read the preface. Pat Controy describes the sun setting over the marsh so beautifully it is like prose.

My own home sits between the marsh and the Atlantic and the smell of the pluff mud is intoxicating to me.

For no reason ever jump in the water in the marsh. Below the water and in the pluff mud sits oyster beds that are razor sharp.

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 01:58 PM

I will second Go Travel's suggestion of Sullivan's Island. We've stayed there several times and it is very much a local's island. Even in the summer time, it is very quiet and the beaches aren't very crowded. There are no hotels on the island and not nearly as many rental houses as on the nearby Isle of Palms. You will have "neighbors", however, the houses are not stacked on top of each other like they are in many beach communities and most of them have enough landscaping/vegetation around them to provide a sense of privacy. Island Realty, Carroll Realty, ResortQuest, and VRBO all rent properties on Sullivan's Island, just to give you a starting point, if you're interested.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone who has given suggestions. Let me ask a different question based on all the research I have been doing....

We are driving down from Chicago the beginning of May on a Wednesday or Thursday. I have heard interesting things about Ashville so I thought we would spend an evening/day there before traveling on.

The more I read about Savannah, I think we will probably only want to stay there for two days then move into a vacation home somewhere else for the Sat. to Sat. stay.

I thought before leaving Savannah, we would spend a morning on Cumberland Island followed by lunch at the Crab Shack.

Here's the question. I think we want to stay by the ocean but want plenty to do.....visit a plantation ( what exactly do you do at a plantation), bike through Charleston (if that is a good idea), shop in quaint towns as well as Charleston. We are more outdoorsy than wanting to take too many historic house tours (which is why I think just two days in Savannah is enough).

I thought of staying on the Outer Banks but am I wrong in feeling they are out of the way for day trips. I have the impression if you stay up there, you are more limited to the Myrtle Beach area and I know we are not interested in a setting like Myrtle Beach.

I now see how Beaufort would be fine to stay in for day trips but returning from dinner and cocktails from either direction would not be good. I understand Beaufort would be a day trip.

Would you still suggest Sullivan's Island or should I rethink where to spend the Sat. to Sat. stay.

Thanks for reading this long, vague post.

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

I should ask if anyone can suggest a great place to stay in Savannah for two nights.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:13 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Actually we spend a lot of time on Amelia Island. Take a look around, as that is where you'll be departing from to get to Cumberland. The major problem I have w/the 'marsh side' is the mosquitoes. They will likely carry you off. I like Seabrook Island as well & it is also near Charleston. Check out B & B's in Savannah, it may be a better bet.

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:56 PM
GoTravel

The Outerbanks are hard to get in and out of and even Myrtle Beach can be as far away as 8 hours from the Outerbanks.

Stick to two days in Savannah then a Saturday to Saturday rental on Sullivan's Island.

I can promise you will be thrilled.

Don't miss Poe's and Fort Moultrie. Edgar Allan Poe was stationed at FM and the restaurant is fantastic. Very laid back and local.

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

I am scared to add anything else but I want to try and give you guys as much specifics as to what we are looking for as possible.

I promise this will be it!

In my original posting. I mentioned a place like the house in "Message in a bottle". There were two things that caught my attention.

1.) I liked the house because it looked like a house that had alot of trees instead of one with no landscaping and homes right on top of another.

I realize I won't find this close to any ocean resort area.

But #2 interest was the view out of the house. I don't think that house was on the ocean but on a sound or river. It was a very wide body of water with a beach.

That's what I'm looking for. I usually like to stay on the ocean but I started to think that since we are going to be out and about seeing the sites, why stay on the ocean where at night you can't really see anything anyway.

Possibly staying on water other than the actual ocean front would provide great evening cocktail viewing of the fishing boats coming in and out.

Once again, am I out of touch?
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Look at this one -
http://www.vrbo.com/179513

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -