Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help in fall vacation decision - St Louis or Milwaukee

Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I are looking at taking a long weekend trip to one of the above cities. It would either be September 13-16 or September 20-23. The reason I chose these two cities is because I like Miller Lite & Bud Light beer and would like to visit where these beers are made. I also chose them because both cities have professional baseball teams. While Milwaukee is cheaper to fly to, St Louis seems to have more things to see and do. Any advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM

St. Louis has lots to do: Cardinals games, City Museum, Cathedral Basilica with wonderful mosaics, Blueberry Hill, Ted Drewes, walking around and shopping in Central West End, and Forest Park. The Balloon Rce is the weekend of Sept. 14-17--something fun and different. www.greatforestparkballoonrace.com/
Jun 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM

I live in Milwaukee, so I'm biased, and think the fall is beautiful here. Things to see include: the Art Museum, especially if you see the brise soleil open or close, the Public Museum/Imax, River cruises, the Public Market, the Lakefront, Jazz in the Park on Thursday evenings, a world class Zoo, historic walking tours, an International Film Festival Sept 20-30, the Cedarburg Wine and Harvest Festival Sept 15-16.

The St. Louis Cardinals will be in Milwaukee the second weekend you're considering, so don't go to St. Louis then if you want to see a game; the Cincinnati Reds will be here the first weekend.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 01:36 PM

Actually, according to the mlb.com website, the Cardinals are playing the Astros in St. Louis on Sept.20-23, and Milwaukee is at Atlanta that same weekend. At any rate, my guess is that spb has already checked out the game schedule.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:04 PM

One thing to keep in mind --- you have to have a car if you visit STL. And if you plan on going on the tour of the Annheiser Busch breweries --- it's a little dull. And a lot of time parts of the tour are closed.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:22 PM

About Cedarburg, WI, I loved it there. DH and I stayed there in the 90's at the Cedarburg Inn for a couple of nights.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:59 PM

I apologize--St Louis is here Sep 24-26.