Help! I've never been out of the U.S.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In December (1st)2008 I would like to attend a family reunion in Oldenberg, Germany. What do I need to know-do first? I have several health problems. Is Germany a place that I would feel safe? I don't even know what I need to know.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:32 PM

Germany is safe, and what could be safer than being in the arms of your family?

What are your other questions?

There really isn't anything special to know other than how you are going to get there and where you are going to stay.

If you don't have a passport, now is the time to apply for one.

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Everyone has to take their 1st trip sometime! #1- You need to get a passport. #2- Talk to your doctor about traveling.

You have plenty of time to plan. Check out a guidebook about Germany from the library, or buy one from amazon.com. Read here on Fodor's, other people's posts about their travels in Germany.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:32 PM

Apply for your passport NOW! And then read up on the area and look forward to your trip.

Germany is very "safe" and the medical care there is probably better than in the US, if you need it.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:47 PM

Hello misssarah, as suze said everyone has to take their first trip sometime.

You have a lot of time to prepare.

I agree, apply for your passport, talk to you doctor. Get some travel guides, your local library should be a good resource. And you will find so much information here on Fodors.

Also since you have several health problems you will want to check with your health insurance company whether they cover you for health care while you are on your trip. You might want to bookmark the website www.insuremytrip.com which gives you access to many companies that offer various trip insurance plans. You can read the information in 2008 and call any of the companies that have coverages that you are interested in to get any questions answered.

Make this project fun..it will be a lovely experience to go to a family reunion in Germany. Not something most people get to do.

If you have more questions may I suggest you post them on this thread. Best wishes to you.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 05:37 AM

Don't get your passport now. If December 2008 is the reunion, you have about 20 months. Lots can happen in 20 months, espcially if health issues are a concern for you. Why spent the $75 on a passport this far ahead of time?

A passport is good for 10 years. If you fine you like travelling overseas, then getting the passport a year from now gives you into 2018 and not 2017 if you get it now. Why have it sit unused this far ahead of time.

If you have until December 2008, then a year from now start get your passport and start looking at hotels and flights.

In addition to checking with a doctor, I might suggest you also understand the rules for your health insurance plan. If you're concerned something could happen on the trip, register with the American consulate in the city you're in as they can assist you if an emergency happens.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 09:56 AM

1, Get a passport now - since rules for Canada, Carib etc have changed there is a massive number of bpeople applying.

2. Talk to your MD to make sure travel is OK. (Medical care in Germany is just as good as in the US - so as long as there's no problems with your flying you should be OK.)

3. Germany - and essentially most of europe - is safer than the US in terms of street crime, scams etc - so you have nothing to fear.

4. Get a couple of good guidebooks on Germany to read, look at the destination sections on this site and frommers.com, and search the travel magazine web site for info on Oldenberg and area.

5. Contact your family in Germany (assume some are still there) and have them send you info from the local tourist office.

6. Start now to look at the various air fare web sites (Kayak.com etc) to get an idea of what your budget will be - so you're ready to buy your ticket when you see a good price.

7. After you've started on the above come back - but to the europe section of the board - with any specific questions.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM

Because a lot of people are applying now for pps is a good reason to wait, if you won't need it for over a year. No reason to waste that year of validity.

Medication goes with you in your carry-on. Extra medication in checked luggage. Leave at least a couple of days medication at home for when you get back.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 12:57 PM

ms,
Highly recommend you take a basic German language course in your local adult ed community college.
M
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Does the passport cost 75$ at USA????
It is cheaper in my country.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:31 PM

If you want to learn some German for fun that's fine - but there's no need to learn more than a few basic words/phrases to get along just fine: daily pleasantries, can you speak english, words for toilet, food categories, numbers etc.) (German students are all required to learn English - and most people you meet can communicate on a basic level.)
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM

You have plenty of time to apply for passport. One advantage to getting one soon is that you never know when they might raise the price (kind of like our postage stamps). To get a general overview of what to expect in Europe, you might want to check out Europe Through the Back Door. I found it very helpful in planning a trip to Paris and Amsterdam. It discusses the planning parts of an itinerary, packing, money, transportation (will you use a train, car, or some other form of transportation, etc).