Search

sorry..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry..

Sorry, thid is kind of a delicate subject.But this question doesn't get asked over & over again like some. I have read a few places that public restrooms are at a premium when stolling NYC. I read last night on another travel forum, that even at mikeyD's you have to show a reciept to use the.... How true is this?
It's me(mom) & 2 daughters. And ladies you know,sometimes girls gotta go!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:16 AM

I have bought an unwanted Starbucks more than once so that I could use a restroom in NYC in an "emergency". Otherwise in midtown, hotel lobbies and department stores are a pretty good bet.

And what's this "sometimes girls gotta go". You think we middle aged men don't?
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:28 AM

If you are shopping Soho, the Pottery Barn on the SE corner of B'Way and Houston has a free bathroom that they'll let you use (and it's v. clean).

Most big chain bookstores have bathrooms as well, and I've never had a problem using them.

If you are strolling around the financial district, there is a public bathroom in Century 21 (discount department store) and one in the World Financial Center.

I think the receipt request is probably more common in midtown tourist areas. Depending on where you plan to spend most of your time, it might not be that big of a deal.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, didn't mean to insult you "middle aged men".
Oh! by the way. Glad to read in your postings that you like being on the hustle & bustle parts of the city. That's what I want!Can't wait to get there! I live 20 min. outside of Dallas, on 30 acres. I've got quiet.
Some of the people posting here almost make feel ashamed of wanting to stay in Times Square.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Stop in McD's or anywhere else to order Coke, take a seat and take a break for a few minutes and take turns at the restroom.

Don't worry about the anti-Times Square elitists. Many of us love to stay in the area - and I doubt the elitists stay in East Bumblewad when they visit another city. Have a blast in NYC!!!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:58 AM

The very best places (clean and nice) to use a bathroom are off the lobby of a hotel. If you're dressed neatly and it's a medium to large hotel, no one will stop you. If they do, say you're looking for the ladies room. Dept. stores are another good option.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Bookstores are a reliable choice, and you can also keep an eye out for public libraries (of which there are many branches in NYC).

I live in NYC, and have sometimes used my gym membership for an emergency bathroom break!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:01 AM

I second the bookstores! I've hopped into a B&N more than once while in NYC. I've also used the restroom in the bigger stores (Old Navy, Gap, etc)Also, for the first time in NY, I think I *would* stay in Times Square. Tourist traps are traps for a reason

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the reply’s . I didn’t think a “potty post” would get so many hits!
With all the suggestions we should be very comfortable on our visit.

By the way. Not my first time to NYC. I was born in Flushing. I lived on Long Island until I was 12. My mother was native of Manhattan, we went into city pretty often. But I haven’t been there (NYC) in over 30 yrs. You know how it was when you’re small, everything is really big , brighter & busier than it really is. Just trying to see some of that. But we have plans to see Greenwich Village, Soho, Lower East Side, ect too!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Another few suggestions--we just returned from our 3-day NYC trip, and had no problems using any Starbucks' bathrooms without purchasing anything! We also used the bathrooms at The Apple Store in Soho (103 Prince St.). On past trips we have used the Waldorf-Astoria's lobby bathroom (absolutely no problem, and we even stopped to rest our feet, lounge on their plush couches, and listen to a beautiful Christmas choir practice!) Rockefeller Center has several public restrooms on their lower shopping concourse, and of course Barnes & Noble always has nice clean available bathrooms!
Have a wonderful time--NYC is even better than 30 years ago!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

claire01
I like the stopping to rest in the hotel lobby idea. We may steal one, if we get too tired.
Sounds like the book stores get a lot of vistors!
Thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Ok it is just a pet peeve, but one does not bathe in these facilities (well I hope not anyway) so they are not bathrooms but rather restrooms or toilets......
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Curt, have you ever been to the US?

You suggest calling it a toilet, but in "US speak" a toilet is a fixture you use for bodily waste and then flush it away. I don't wash my hands in a toilet, so I think calling the whole room a toilet is just as silly as calling it a bathroom.
And while we're at it, I don't go into such a room to "rest" either.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Neo yep I live in the US and I get your point...but you reinforce that idea that this room, whatever we call it, unless it has a shower or tub or combo, is not a bathroom...
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM

I've actually suggested the ability to go into places like hotels and bookstores, or even busy restaurants, to use the bathroom was a good illustration of "privilege" related to race and class. African American friends have said they would never consider stopping into a hotel to use they bathroom because they believe they would be stopped and questioned by security.

Also, because part of the restriction is to avoid homeless people, etc., from taking over the bathroom, if you look well-kept and middle class, they will probably not question you regardless of whether you are homeless or not.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 12:03 PM

mom,
I lived in Northwood hills for 25 years and cannot imagine your being 20 min from D on 30 acres.
Took me 20 min to get to the grocery stores on Sunday mornings at 08:30.
M
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 01:00 PM

I live just outside the city and 'go'
there a lot. The secret is don't be shy. If you just walk into any restaurant, bar or hotel (many hotels have a lobby facility) and walk directly to the bathroom you're not likely to be stopped. If someone says , 'can I help you' just ask if you can use the bathroom and most likely they will say yes. I've never, ever been refused a bathroom because of not being a customer.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 01:07 PM

As a total newbie to Manhattan, I had no problem finding facilities (how's that term? Does it pass scrutiny?). Don't worry. You will be fine.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

mikemo,
I live in Kaufman, near Terrell. By I-20 or Hwy 175 I can be in SE Dallas in 20 min., Mesquite in 25 min., downtown Dallas in 30. However this will most likely change, the city seems to be growing this direction.
It really makes my daughters made that there's a subdivision 1/2 mile from us in what used to be a pasture!

I like the term "facilities", even though bathroom's fine with me..
I don't think I will be asking (if needed) to use the toilet.
My daughter's would probably run...
(away that is).
..didn't think this was going to be so
controversial.

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
http://www.thebathroomdiaries.com/default.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -