Help - Hotel near Universal

Aug 28th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Help - Hotel near Universal

Hi:

My sister and I are planning a one day visit to Universal next March en route to visit my brother in Fort Pierce. We are flying to Orlando on March 18 (Sunday) and will get a hotel room close to Universal so we can spend a day there on Monday, and then leave for FP on Tuesday. I have been checking out hotel rooms on line and through books including Fodors and I am befuddled! We are looking for a hotel within walking distance (is there such a thing?) to Universal or has a reliable shuttle service. We'd like a hotel room that is clean and at a moderate price since we don't plan to spend much time in the room. Please help!
- Shannon (befuddled Canadian)
Aug 28th, 2006, 07:08 AM

I'm not aware of any hotels around Univ that have a free shuttle to the airport. But if you'll have a car check out
www.sleepinn-universalstudios.com
Aug 28th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Hard Rock is the closest, you walk out the back door, around the pool and right up to the front doors to Island of Adventure and Universal Studios and CityWalk...you'll have to ask them about airport shuttle but I'm sure they can arrange it..
Aug 28th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Depending upon your budget, I would recommend one of the onsite Universal (Loews Hotels) hotels - Portofino Bay, Hard Rock Hotel or Royal Pacific Resort. The Royal Pacific is usually the most affordable. If you belong to AAA/CAA, you may be able to get a discount.

The best thing about staying on-site is that you will have Front-of-the-Line privileges at the parks. This is a fantastic perk. It is just great fun to bypass the lines.

There really aren't any hotels that are within a reasonable walking distance to Universal. There are many hotels on International Drive, but they are quite hike from Universal. Some may offer shuttle service, but can't say for sure.

If you can stay on-site, do it!
Aug 28th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Other than the Universal hotels just listed, none of the other more moderate hotels are in walking distance. There are plenty of I drive - and the road that runs behind Portofino. The shuttle idea is a great one - check to see if your moderate hotel offers a shuttle to Universal. Splurge on Portofino if you can.
Aug 29th, 2006, 07:51 AM
granniem

In my opinion the only place to stay is one of the Loews hotel, on site. The convenience is well worth the extra price. I would never stay anyplace else when I expect to go to IOA of Universal. YOu can stay at a cheaper hotel if you visit any other attractions.

Aug 29th, 2006, 07:57 AM

I stayed at Hard Rock and liked the hotel quite a bit. They have a nice pool area with waiter service and it's an easy walk to Universal. It's also nice to stay at one of the Universal hotels so you can walk to CityWalk for dinner and drinks. Especially for just 1 night, I wouldn't stay anywhere else.
Aug 29th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi: Thank you everyone for your help.
As much as we would love to stay on site at Universal, it is out of our price range. We can't justify paying that much for a room for 1 night let alone 2. That much $ would pay for one of our flights .. I guess my next question is does anyone know of a hotel that is close to Universal that has a shuttle to the park and is clean and moderately priced. I have found many on line, in books, etc., but I would love to hear a personal experience. - Shannon
Aug 29th, 2006, 03:14 PM

As far as I know, there is still a Holiday Inn directly across the street from Universal, about three-quarters of a mile to the ticket gate. The address would be Kirkman Road or Major Blvd. There's also a large two-building high rise across the street from the Holiday Inn that's a Radisson (or at least it used to be). These two hotels are the closest you can get without staying on the property.

I agree, though, staying at one of the onsite hotels (Royal Pacific is the cheapest) is absolutely worth the extra cost - for the Express Passes on all the rides plus the great convenience!
Aug 30th, 2006, 08:37 AM

Thought Portofino was great, and enjoyed the boat ride to and from Universal. The pool was heavenly. Hard Rock would be my 2nd choice.
The surrounding area outside of Universal didn't really look that impressive, but I'm sure if you have a car, you can find something within your price range.
Aug 30th, 2006, 10:48 AM

We have stayed at the Doubletree at Universal. It was about as close as you can get. Check their website and see if they have a shuttle to Universal. It is within walking distance, but only if you are a true "walker". Quite a hike! The hotel itself was fine, rooms were fairly good sized. Whatever deal you find on the web, call them directly and you may get a better rate.
Aug 30th, 2006, 03:54 PM

The Sleep Inn mentioned above has everything you asked about including the free shuttle to Universal.
Aug 31st, 2006, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi: Thanks everyone again for their help. Been checking various places on the web, heard good things about Doubletree at Universal - is this also called the Sleep Inn? Has anyone stayed at LaQuinta, Rodeway Inn or Howard Johnson's (near Universal), Country Inn & suites and the Enclave?
Thank you.
Aug 31st, 2006, 10:22 AM

The Doubletree at Universal is not the same things as the Sleep Inn. It's under Hilton management. You get complementary cookies at check-in and you can sign up for HGVC timeshare promotions in the lobby.
Aug 31st, 2006, 03:38 PM

Of the ones you just listed, I would go with either the LaQuinta or Country Inn and Suites. Check www.tripadvisor.com for specific reviews.
Sep 1st, 2006, 07:24 AM
granniem

Try the Comfort suites on Turkey Lake Road (I think that is the name of the st._ anyway, they have a nice pool, free breakfast, tiki hut serving snack food and a shuttle. We stayed there before we went to the Hard Rock Hotel