HELP - Girls Weekend in Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 4-5 of us girls (early 30s) are going to be in Boston for a long weekend in the middle of September. We would like to stay at a nice hotel but nothing too expensive. We are thinking of possibly taking a harbor cruise and going to Quincy Market. We wouldn't mind being within walking distance of these things. Any suggestions about hotels and other attractions would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 06:53 AM
yk

Hotel: what is your budget? You may want to try Priceline or Hotwire to get the best bang for your buck.

Attractions: Walk the Freedom Trail, Public Garden, Harvard Sq, Museum of Fine Arts, Isabella Gardner Museum
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Friends and I have made Boston our destination several times for our annual weekend away in late September. I hope you don't have to leave anyone out but it's much easier for 4 to travel together instead of 5 (i.e. only one cab needed). YK's suggestion of Priceline or Hotwire is very good. I have urged my friends to consider doing this for our next trip. I have used Hotwire once and got a great deal in Providence to I plan to use it again. Instead, to keep hotel costs down we have a) stayed across the river in Cambridge or b) stayed at Best Western Round House suites which is in an iffy area but convenient to Rt 93 if arriving by car. I actually thought the Best Western rooms were among the best we've had in terms of space but the hotel does not have a restaurant and nothing nearby. The hotel shuttle will take you to the nearest T station.
Quincy Market is a bunch of shops but sometimes there are street performers to enjoy. The four of us do not shop together although sometimes we will visit a specialty shop. Twice we have visited the Kennedy Library on Friday afternoon when we arrive and generally we have tickets to a show. Our most recent Boston trip was a culinary tour of Boston's North End which we all loved. Sometimes we use the subway but always return to our hotel at night via cab.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:11 AM

I stayed at the Harborside Hotel not long ago and loved it. The hotel at one time was an old warehouse and has been rennovated. The price was great and the location is across the street from Quincy Market. Next door is the Marriott Custom House, which I would love to do next time. I'll bet the views from the tower in the old Custom House are great.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:34 AM
yk

The Marriott Custom House is a timeshare property; however they do rent out rooms to non timeshare owners IF there are rooms available.

You don't need to be a guest there to go up to the observation deck on the 26th floor. It is open to the public for a $3 fee (donated to the Children's Miracle network). For more info on the obs deck at the Custom House, see my description (with photos) here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...omment-5737236
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Royal Sonesta is at $152, in Cambridge.....will you have a car to park? Two rooms?
Just don't choose a weekend that's a "parents weekend" at the nearby colleges!
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Just got back from Boston, first time there it was a good trip. Pretty good rate on Omni Parker House which was within couple of blocks of Quincy Market and on the Freedom Trail. $179/night for a king bed. rooms are not large but big enough. My wife is really picky about hotels but thought this was a good one. Harbor is across street from Quicy Market so both in walking distance of hotel. We walked at night in area,we thought very safe. We walked to China Town one night for dinner. We also walked to North end for Italian food another night, longer walk but still easy enough. Whale cruise was good and took ferry to Salem but next time we would skip Salem.
We would definitely go back to Boston. We did not have car, but after having walked the streets I am glad we did not have a car, I am not sure we would have ever found our way around. The streets are not easy to navigate in a car, but very easy to walk.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

We are looking at around $150 or so a night. We will not have a car and will be relying on taxi, shuttles, etc. We are going September 17-20 - anyone know if that is a "parents weekend" at the local colleges?
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM
yk

Hi lms,

There are a couple of deals available on Travelzoo right now. I assume $150/n is per room for 2 people, not $150/n for 2 rooms (ie, $75/n per room), right?

I don't think parents weekend will be huge deal, because I don't think every college holds it on the same exact weekend. At least, parents weekend is not anywhere as crazy as commencement in May.

The Eliot deal ($159/n) is great. It's a very nice hotel:
http://hotels.travelzoo.com/lodging-hotels/623968

This Colonnade hotel deal is great too ($159/n) and it includes free breakfast.
http://hotels.travelzoo.com/lodging-hotels/623965

There's also a Starwood hotel deal, with several hotels to choose from:
http://hotels.travelzoo.com/lodging-hotels/620940
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM

Will second the suggestion of priceline... it works better in Boston than any other city that I know of... have used it many times in Boston successfully.

just know how to use your free re-bids and bid on backbay or downtown for a 4*. you can bid again every 24 hours. I would start out at $70. I've never paid more than $80 and have won The Copley Fairmont, The Marriott, The Omni Parker and the Swissotel (is called something different now).

good luck.