Help! Foodies!

Jul 24th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Kristen

Help! Foodies!

After reading about 150 messages about restaurant recommendations- I'm confused!I'm bringing my husband to New Orleans for his 40th birthday weekend in January, and I'm thinking about making reservations at Bayona, Brigstens, and Commander's Palace for brunch. I need one more suggestion for a dinner, or alternative's to the previous. We're hesitant about Emeril's group because his Las Vegas restaurant was a little dissapointing. I'm looking for the best representation of New Orleans cuisine. Help!

Jul 24th, 2001, 09:27 PM
Andy

Make a reservation at Nola's for dinner- and make sure you go to Felix's Oyster bar for lunch 1 day in French Quarter-they do oysters millions of ways and all are good!Bayonna is FABULOUS and very romantic!Commanders Palace is overrated-Emeril used to be the chef there years ago. Emerial rest.in New Orleans was great when we went-- ALso another one was Mikes on the Avenue( if it is still in existence) was super.

Jul 25th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Rob

KPaul's. Bayona or Mr. Bs.
Rob

Jul 25th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Leone

Kristen, in your message you have what you need, and the two responses add to that, and each is right on the mark. As far as Emeril is concerned, well, catch him on TV, and in his new sit-com I've heard is planned for the fall. And on your local grocery store shelves. He's all over the place, except one .. in one of his kitchens. He did put Commanders Palace on the map, but that was a long time ago. Enjoy NO, and fret no more ... you have what you need for great meals. How about a report back ... I'm in NO for 10 days next year, after a four-year haitus, and I am planning ahead. Would appreciate any feedback. Ciao

Jul 25th, 2001, 06:33 AM
susan

Take Rob's good advice. I'd either add K-Paul's or Mr. B's. The Emeril's restaurants aren't what they're cracked up to be...my WORST dining experience in NO after going for decades was NOLA.
I'd definitely keep Bayona and Commander's Palace, so if you opt for adding both K-Paul's and Mr. B's I'd drop Brigstens.

Jul 25th, 2001, 06:38 AM
lisa

K Paul's is great! You say you're looking for the "best representation of New Orleans cuisine" -- I don't think you could do any better than K Paul's. It's not the fanciest place in town, but it's terrific New Orleans cooking.

Jul 25th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Brian Leebrick

Try Irene's or Royal Cafe. Both excellent.

Jul 25th, 2001, 01:17 PM
another

Gosh, we're all different!

I had a great experience at Nola's last year, but I was very un-impressed with Commander's Palace. It seemed the staff was too impressed with themselves to provide any measure of warmth or charm with the meal. Maybe you pay extra for that?

Anyway, I enjoy Copeland's too, even though it is a chain, and sometimes quite touristy. I also like Acme Oyster Bar in the Quarter. And, being a huge fan of bread pudding, I order it with every meal, just to compare the different versions!

There is so much good food in NO, it's a safe bet that at least half your meals will be spectacular. Please report back!

Jul 25th, 2001, 01:48 PM
kal

Hello Kristen,
The last time we went to Pascale Manale's (2yrs ago)for BBQ'd shrimp, it was pretty durn good.

Agree w/ lisa re K Paul's. We were really suprised thinking it was just going to be a tourist trap.
Still some of the best jambalaya I've ever head.

We liked the seating arrangements, too. They make sure all the seats are filled so you may wind up sharing a table with somebody from Europe, So. Amer or...?

We had a great dinner at NOLA's 2 yrs ago. That place seems to be a "love it-hate it" place.

Our friends rave about Bella Luna.

Dookie Chase's is on our list this Sept.

Happy 40th to your hubby. Can't think of a better place to celebrate!
Kal

Jul 26th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Jennifer

From a local: Irene's; Palace Cafe; Acme Oyster; Gautreau's; Trey Yen in Mandeville, and if you're adventurous, Uglesich's for an oyster poboy. Have fun.

Jul 27th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Shel

Try Camellia Grill for breakfast. When it comes to southern cooking, this is the real thing.

If you want more info, do a search at Google.com for "camellia grill".

Enjoy! I am jealous!
Shel

Jul 27th, 2001, 12:36 PM
ABS

From a Baton Rougeon, try Commander's for jazz brunch (request Garden Room) and either Gabrielle's or Gautreaux's for dinner. Reservations are a must for all three. Be sure to reconfirm reservations at Commander's upon arrival in New Orleans. I know that you will be very pleased.

Jul 30th, 2001, 08:43 PM
goodlife

Also from a local (I live on the NorthShore)...for a wonderful brunch and delightful atmosphere you must try A Court Of Two Sisters. It's wonderful..you sit out in the courtyard with ivy and vines as a roof...there are jazz musicians who play softly for entertainment. It's not a cheap place to eat, but well worth it. I also really like Mike Anderson's in the quarter. A favorite of my husband's (and I'm not sure where it is located, I've never been there, but maybe in the CBD?) is Drago's. If you want to get adventurous and drive over the causeway (the world's longest bridge over open water at 24 miles long) I recommend Morton's Seafood Restaurant on the Tchefuncte River, especially on a weekend either for lunch or an early dinner. It's fun to walk along the riverfront and peoplewatch. The boat traffic in the river on summer weekends is just about as bad as rush hour in the city...LOL

Jul 31st, 2001, 07:29 AM
Greg

Kristen, From a fellow tourist to NO I would recommend Mulate's across from the convention center. Of all the places it had the best "NO" feel to it. Good cajun food and a great cajun band with people dancing and having just a really good time.

Aug 4th, 2001, 01:43 PM
chris

Hi Kristen,
We just returned from five days in NO. My favorite meal was at a restaurant named Stella, in the Provincial Hotel. It's only three months old but it is fantastic food. We ate at Gamay Bistro, Martinique, Bayona as well and both my husband and I picked Stella's as our best meal.

Search this Thread