Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help...first time to Savannah...girls weekend!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to plan a weekend in Savannah for myself, my mom and my grandma. It will be a surprise for my mom & my grandma. This will be our first time to Savannah.

Who: myself (29), my mom (50) and my grandma (70). My mom and grandma (who is my mom's mom) share the same birthday...January 13. It would be so fun to surprise them for their birthday but Savannah (and most destinations) will be too cold and dreary during January.
1) What would Savannah be like in January?
2) If not for their bday in January, then which month is recommended? I would like it to be near their birthday so sometime during the spring with flowers blooming.

B&B/Hotel: I am looking into Savannah Bed and Breakfast Inn. We will need a room that will allow for all three of us. Any other recommendations?
http://www.savannahbnb.com/

What shall we do while in Savannah? I know a little about Savannah, just basics, but I would like detailed information about things to do. We would be up for anything...grandma (being 70) is NOT limited. She is quite spry, the only trouble she has is with her knees so we would need breaks during prolonged walking.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 07:58 AM

whenever i visit a place i havent been before,my process is to get a couple of travel books on the area--i usually get mine at Borders.Then after ive become famiular with the area,i post on ths forum and Tripadviser.com to kind of finalize my itinereary.As to weather,itll be like Atlanta,maybe a little warmer.Highs in the hi 50s,lows in the mid 30s.There wont be alot of tourists, and not hot,so youll be comfy getting around.Azalea blooming season is early April,late March, if thats why your going.Savannah has the 2nd biggest St Pats day parade, so id stay way from that weekend unless you like parades--but it is pretty festive,and not sure if aazaleas will be blooming then.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Savannah weather in January and February is unpredictable. It could be in the 70s, or it could snow (though either extreme is less likely). It will most likely be in the 50s during day and in the 40s overnight. As bigbomoho points out, azaleas start to bloom in later March, though other flowers (daffodils, i.e.) will bloom earlier.

I have been in Savannah over President's weekend (around February 22nd) the past few years. The weather has been in the low 60s and pleasant. Savannah attracts tourists year-round, but will be less crowded during the winter months. My preference is to go in the winter or early spring -- Savannah can be beastly hot and humid from May - October.

There are several walking tours (both organized and self-led), horse-drawn carriage tour rides, and bus-type tours that will take you around the city. Historic Savannah is spread over 21 squares, so it encompasses a fairly large area. The walking may be a challenge for your grandmother, but you could always break up the walking with stops for lunch, or you could grab a coffee and sit a while on a park bench in one of the numerous squares (remember Forrest Gump?) to rest and people-watch.

Several historic homes are open for tourists, the Savannah College of Arts and Design (SCAD) may have exhibits open for viewing, and there are restaurants aplenty in Savannah. Whenever you decide to go, enjoy your visit!
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 02:39 PM

My husband and college-aged daughter were in Savannah last week and did the Savannah Movie Tour. They are both "reel" movie lovers, so they had a blast on this tour. So, if your family enjoys the movies, you might want to consider this.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 04:09 PM

I took my mom (when she was 75yrs) a few years ago for Mother's day and we had a great time. We did the hop on off bus tour, Paula Deen tour (my mom is a big fan, I could have skipped it) I made my mom get a handicap sticker for us and it helped. She has problems walking. There are not many handicap parking spots but it helped alot
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 10:20 AM

The Old Town Trolley tour in Savannah is fabulous. It's a great way to hear about the rich history of Savannah and you can choose to get off and walk as little or as much as you feel up to! Would definitely recommend!! Personally, I like to do the two-day option so that I don't feel rushed at the individual stops.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 01:18 PM
nlg

I second the Old Town Trolley tour-we had a great time and it gives you a nice overview of the city. We have gone to Savannah in November and January and the weather has been fine-certainly better than going during the summer.