March Trip to Charleston and Savannah

Jan 8th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

March Trip to Charleston and Savannah

I have a trip planned to go to these 2 locations the last week of March and I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.

I will be going with a tour group that will spend 3 nights in Charleston, and 2 nights in Savannah. The tour covers most of the things that first timers would want to see, like tours , buggy rides, Middleton Plantation , Tea Plantation, etc, but I plan on spending at least 2 extra days in Charleston, and an extra day in Savannah to explore on my own. My questions are concerning what to do on those extra days.

Between the 2 locations, and considering the time of year I will be there, will the weather generally be amenable to going to a beach assuming some are relatively close ? I don't necessarily want to spend the day at the beach, or even go swimming, but just to walk on one for a bit would be nice. (I am coming from the coldest time of the year in Canada) The tour does allow some time for leisure activites like shopping, or wandering around the Historic Districts, but is there something else I should see?

I am also wondering if on the extra day in Savannah I should spend that time enjoying a day of the Savannah Home and Garden Tour as it seems I am there at the perfect time for that ? Has anyone any experience with this tour? Any comments? Good or bad.

As for eating, the tour offers some of the usual places that seem pretty good according to other posts..Paul Deens, Poogan's Porch, the Olde Pinke House so I am not worried about that area. Other areas of interest are shopping, viewing spectacular historic homes and of course all the areas of historic interest.

Sorry to ramble on so much, but I am really excited to tour this area as I have always appreciated the historical nature of this area. I would appreciate any other ideas that you have to offer to help me explore and experience all this area has to offer.
Jan 8th, 2011, 03:19 PM

Here's a link to a interesting blog of two men who have jobs that aren't geographic specific. They travel the world and live 91 days at different locations. They have been in Savannah over 60 days. They offer an interesting perspective of not just the well know, but also of places off the beaten path. It also has some great photography:
http://savannah.for91days.com/savannah-index/

March 24-27 is the Savannah Tour of Homes and Gardens. It is worthwhile to see the secret gardens and beautiful homes in the historic district. March 24-April 9th is the Savannah Music Festival which is world-class. Google for info.
Weather is usually beautiful that time of the year; good off season beach walking near both cities. Both cities are a great change of pace. Between the two is Beaufort SC. 91 days discusses a day trip there and to nearby Hunting Island State Park, a beautiful beach on an accessible barrier island.
Jan 8th, 2011, 04:02 PM

Love, love, love these two cities! Walking on the beach at that time of year is fine. Charleston has Folly Beach (close to town, touristy) and Isle of Palm. Seabrook and Kiawah are private islands about 35 minutes south. Savannah has Tybee (touristy too).

I would think that one of your plantation tours in Charleston would take you to Angel Oak but if not, it is worth a visit. The aquarium is nice too. Explore the Straw Market on foot and spend time sitting on a bench at the Battery. You can tour Ft. Sumnter if that is not one you already have scheduled. Both cities have ghost tours, evening and day. They give a lot of history that can be very interesting. The Huguenot Church in Charleston is beautiful too.

Have a fabulous trip!
Jan 9th, 2011, 02:29 AM

"I am also wondering if on the extra day in Savannah I should spend that time enjoying a day of the Savannah Home and Garden Tour as it seems I am there at the perfect time for that ? Has anyone any experience with this tour? Any comments? Good or bad."

The tour is excellent. I highly recommend it.
http://www.savannahtourofhomes.org/

Different homes/gardens are open on different days and the locations vary each year. It's a very well run operation and you will really enjoy it.
Jan 9th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to those who replied!

Savannahoaks I did check out the 91 days site, and it was very interesting. I like the photos too. I could not figure out the time frame but they mentioned Christmas so was that just this year or before? Very interesting for sure and I would never have come across that without the heads up so thanks again.

motor_city_girl I appreciate your comments too and I have researched those names you mention and will check them out when I am there.

starrs..I am glad that the tour is worthwhile, and the extra day I am staying after the tour will be used to do the garden tour. I can imagine that it is indeed lovely, and it will be nice to see how the locals live . I hope it will be an opportunity to speak some with people who live in Savannah and I am especially looking forward to see what plants are in bloom that I have not seen before. I do a little gardening here in Canada but we only have about 4 or 5 months when the flowers might be in bloom so this will be quite different.

I may have some more questions in the next 2 months before I go, and I will be sure to post them.
Jan 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM

Christmas 2010.
Jan 9th, 2011, 03:02 PM

We have been to the Charleston area many times during the last week of March. The weather is extremely variable. Some years it is warm and sunny; others it is cold and rainy. Just cross your fingers. The water will definitely be too cold for swimming.

We have eaten at Poogan's Porch three times over the years. The first time it was good. The second time--not so great. We tried it again last year, and it was horrible. I posted my opinion about it several months ago, and lots of other posters agreed with me. There are many other better restaurants in Charleston.
Jan 11th, 2011, 01:11 AM

I admire the adventurous spirit of the "For91Days", and happy someone pointed you there. to experience Savannah best with the locals, I recommend staying at an historic B&B. Green Palm Inn is a cozy cottage, with a darling innkeeper who is often compared to a favorite aunt. Presidents' Quarters Inn is classic Savannah -- grand spaces without being pretentious. Don't miss Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room and Leopold's Ice Cream shop, two of the finest eateries. Two best kept secrets include Wiley's Championship BBQ (on Whitemarsh Island) and Alligator Soul, downtown fine dining that feels like you have a personal chef cooking just to please you. You can reserve a Chef's Table in the kitchen at Alligator Soul. You may want to spent a day or two at Tybee Island. Lighthouse Inn offers a 100-year-old WWII officer's cottage setting with innkeepers who love the arts are active in the beach community.
Jan 11th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Be sure to visit Savannah City Market which is a 4 block square area of shops and restaurants two blocks from the river area. Cafe at City Market is a fun place for lunch. Go to Crystal Beer Parlor for good times and good food.
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the suggestions, I will do some researching on those ideas/
Jan 22nd, 2011, 09:48 AM

You're going to love both places! That time of year is great because its not steamy hot or frigid cold... perfect! You've gotten some great suggestions. Here is a site that also may help you:

http://www.things-to-do-in-charleston.com/index.html

Have fun!
Jan 28th, 2011, 03:05 AM

WOW! That 91 days site is fantastic. Utterly.

I'm also very jealous of them.