Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help finding furnished apartments in NYC this summer

May 23rd, 2008, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Hi there....fellow Fodorites.

I need help from my fellow NYers or out of towners who have, recently, sublet at a furnished apartment in the NYC area.

A friend's daughter and her friend (from Italy)are doing a summer internship in a Midtown company for three months starting the 3rd week of July and need a place to stay. Obviously, it has to be a furnished
apartment/studio with cable, electricity and internet access. We're on craigslist everyday but we're not having any luck mostly because the time frame they need to be at (3rd week of July to the 3rd week of October) is very specific. I'm trying to look at other options so I thought I'd ask y'all for info on say a women's dormitory or something. Someone suggested a women's dorm run by nuns in the East 70s Street but I don't think that even exists because I can't google it. Or perhaps a secret subletting website I don't know about?

Any suggestions would be sooo appreciated.

Thanks!!!

May 23rd, 2008, 03:50 AM

You could also try the village voice website - lots of apartment ads there as well.
May 23rd, 2008, 04:35 AM

The Village Voice is a really good suggestion. There will also be ads for roommates wanted which may be a better idea than getting an apartment.

October seems to me to be the problem in that the students at all of the local universities will be back at the end of August, so lots of sublets are for the summer and not into the fall.

Craig's list is also a good idea, and you might check with some of the long term corporate rentals in the area as well.
May 23rd, 2008, 06:53 AM

A thousand years ago, young NY'ers would gather at the newsstand at Sheridan Square on Wednesday morning so they coudl be the first to see the rental ads for apartments in the Village Voice. I do not know if there still a heavy reliance on the VV for such ads or when they are they published.
May 23rd, 2008, 07:29 AM

You need to be super careful on Craig's list since MANY of the listings are scams.

Separately - the time period they have is kind of unusual - since it covers the starts of the school year.

You may be better off going to the various commercial short-term apartment rental companies. They won't be cheap - but they will be reliable, clean and they won;t find themsleves evicted since the apartment renter didn't pay the landlord (happened to the nephew of friends).

Also - perhaps try the major univeristy housing office to see if they offer any shares for non-students.