HELP! ! DENVER TO YELLOWSTONE

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and 12 year old daughter and I will be taking a 2 week trip out West, August 2008. We plan to fly into Denver, rent a car, make our way up to Yellowstone, over to the Black Hills area and end up back at Denver. I would be extremely thankful for itinerary ideas along that route..we definitely want to see the natural beauty and any highlights. We love things off the beaten path. Any lodging ideas would be appreciated as well. Want to make this a leisurely time...not every minute in a car. Thanks for any advice!
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Ag3046

As this trip is 11 months from now, why the need to post all in capitals, and requesting help, in a manner that suggests urgency. Doesn't really jibe with your request for a leisurely time.

Not a nice thing to post all in caps. It's like shouting, in a bad way.

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:24 AM
MaureenB

Are you sure you want to fly in and out of Denver? You'd have to backtrack from the Black Hills all the way to Denver. Couldn't you leave from another airport? It could cost more to drop off your rental car in another state, but maybe that would be offset by the cost of gas and your time in returning all the way to Denver.
>-

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:43 AM

I will add my 2cents without chewing you out over caps (no big deal)
I did a similar trip several yeare ago and it was great.
We drove from denver to Cody and spent a couple of days.
we then entered yellostone from the north after driving the Beartooth Hiway.
you are smart to plan this far in advance.
now is the time to make reservations if you plan on staying in the park.
if you leave DEN by early AM you should
At least be in Cody well before dark and still get in some sightseeing.
Ask if you have questions

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Sorry if you were offended by the caps..meant nothing by it. Just looking to learn from the experience of others and am not the most computer savy in the world. We are starting our planning now because it appears that reservations can be tough to come by at popular lodges etc.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:56 AM

We took a route to YNP from Denver through Lander, Wyoming, which might be a little off the beaten path. It was such a neat town. We stayed at the Holiday Lodge, which didn't look like much on the outside, but was really cool, independent and unique. Ate at Cowfish--excellent. Don't miss Sinks Canyon near Lander for great natural beauty.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 06:17 AM

A wonderful plan.

Beware, it is a very long drive from Denver to Cody. Worth it if you can stay long time.

Boring for adults en route. Very boring for a 12 year old.

Old Sep 29th, 2007, 08:49 AM

The car rental might be a little more expensive but if it were me, I'd fly into Denver, do the Black Hills inlcuding Deadwood, drive to Cody and then to Yellowstone, and fly out of Salt Lake City. It would save a fair amount of driving, giving you more time for the area you want to see. I also strongly support the suggestions of using the Beartooth Hwy route between Cody and Yellowstone and spending a day or two in Cody. It is breathtaking. The Buffalo Bill Historical Center sounds as if it might be touristy but trust me, it is not. It consists of five world class museums that deal with the west, western art, the plains indians, Buffalo Bill himself, and the absolute best firearms museum I have ever been in.

If you'd like to see some photos from the area you are asking about, they are at http://www.worldisround.com/articles/336163/index.html
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Its a wonderful drive from Denver to Yellowstone. Here is one drive to give you an idea. These roads are the ones less traveled by the average tourist....

I-25 north to Fort Collins, US-287 to Laramie WY. Take WY-130 across Snowy Range Pass. Pick up 287 once again at Rawlins and make the short diversion on WY-28 to South Pass City along the Oregon Trail where the pioneers crossed the Continental Divide on the way west.... 287 to the Grand Teton NP/Yellowstone.

For your return out of YS depart the NE entrance and Cooke City and continue on US212 and over the Beartooth Highway..... You can either pick up I-90 in MT for a part of the eastward trip, if so you will pass the Little Bighorn Battlefield NM near Crow Agency or in Red Lodge take MT-308 to Belfry, North on 72 to US310 and south to Lovell and 14A east. A side trip to the Big Horn Canyon(Visitor Center is Lovell). Stop at the Medicine Wheel on top of the mountain that bears its name, enjoy the mile hike from the parking area... South on 90 to the Black Hills. Depart the BH on SD71, a brief stop at the Wild Horse Sanctuary. If time permits a short stop at Fort Robinson near Crawford would break up the drive, as would the Museum of the Fur Trade near Chadron. 71 south and to Scottsbluff and the National Monument. 71 to I-76 and back to Denver.