Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help coming from Canada, flying into Virginia, then going to N. Carolina then maybe Washington DC?

Search

Help coming from Canada, flying into Virginia, then going to N. Carolina then maybe Washington DC?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 11:06 AM
Lidija

Hi

I'm a little confused on what to do. I'm going to a wedding in the Outerbanks North Carolina (more specifically Kill Devil Hills) was told to fly into Norfolk Virginia. Since i'm going so far east I thought i would extend my visit. The wedding is on Nov. 25th. Trying to decide where to go afterwards? How far is Washington DC? New York City? Thank you for any suggestions.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 11:34 AM
lisa

I live in DC. The outer banks are very LONG, and I know it's not terribly far from the northern end of the outer banks to DC (say, around Duck) -- maybe 4 hours or so, but I don't know exactly where Kill Devil Hills is (south of Duck and north of Ocracoke obviously but that doesn't narrow it down enough), so you may want to try a website with maps and driving times and distances like mapquest.com. Bottom line: DC is definitely doable in a day's drive from the outer banks. New York is a 4-hour train ride north of DC. You don't mention how long you have. If you only have 3-4 extra days after the wedding then I would only go to DC -- there is a lot to see here. If you have more like 6-7 days then you could see both Washington and New York City.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 11:46 AM
Lidija

Thanks Lisa for such a quick response! Technically I have as much time as i'd really like since i haven't used any vacation days yet but will probably limit it to a week or so in total. I think I will stick to just Washington DC and forget about NYC. I haven't really researched the area but I hear DC is an area that gets really quiet after 5 since most workers don't live in the area. Do you know if i stay in a generaly tourist area hotel how far it would be to the hockey arena? Is it in a suburb, that I can easily get too? Thanks again.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 12:05 PM
Dave

MCI Center is downtown right in Chinatown. There is a metro stop right in the stadium. There is also a Grand Hyatt about 2 blocks away from it. The downtown near the monuments is of course quiet at night. However there are many great areas to go out at night. Adams Morgan, G'town, Midtown, and even Arlington has begun to show signs of a nightlife. Have a good trip to D.C. its a great city.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 12:23 PM
Tar Heel

It's a lot longer than 4 hrs. to DC from Kill Devil Hills (which are on the northern part of the Outer Banks, by Kitty Hawk and Nags Head, south of Duck, which is on the other side of the bridge) -- more like 6 hrs., and about 3 from Norfolk, depending on traffic and time of day, which admittedly won't be much of anything in November. That could be a COLD wedding, BTW!

I would not consider DC a day trip from Kill Devil Hills -- it's even a hike from Norfolk (3 hrs.) -- but if you have a week, I'd seriously consider it. However, let me recommend STRONGLY you stop in Colonial Williamsburg for at least a day and a night, maybe more, for the history and the FOOD. It's right on your way from Outer Banks/Norfolk to DC. But make reservations promptly, it's a popular time of year there.