Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First time in Boston: Magiannos or Grillfish for pre-theatre dinner

Sep 15th, 2000, 10:53 AM
Larry

We will be in Boston 3 nights Oct 12-15 and have been looking for a good restaurant for a 7:30ish dinner before the Blue Man Group. We sort of have it narrowed down to these two restaurants, Magiannos or Grillfish and were wondering if ya'll had any feedback...thanks for any information you can provide.

Sep 15th, 2000, 11:58 AM
Charles

Maggianos is a not particularly good italian chain. Grillfish is good. There are better choices in the theater district, like Galleria Italian, though. What's your price range?

Sep 15th, 2000, 06:42 PM
Toni

Thank you Charles for your reply...moderately priced would be great. $20 per person or under (not including drinks)...Do you have something in mind? We looked into Jae's but my husbands not grand on asian, and I heard mixed reviews on Brew Moon. We wanted something close to the Charles Playhouse. Thanks!

Sep 15th, 2000, 06:44 PM
edie

charles is being polite when he says maggianos is not particularly good. it is actually spectacularly awful. steer clear!

Sep 15th, 2000, 07:06 PM
larry

Thanks for your heads up! I came this close to making a reservation at Magiannos...so happy I asked!!! So, I've heard good things about Grillfish??? Moderately priced, good selection of fresh fish, no martinis :0) but a nice wine selection. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your input!

Sep 15th, 2000, 08:19 PM
Boss Tonn

There's always Legal Seafood. Very well known seafood restaurant that is based in Boston and has expanded to about a dozen locations in the area. One of their newer, smartly decorated locations is maybe two blocks from the theater.

I would recommend Jae's, but it's currently closed for renovation and may not reopen in time for your visit.

Never been to Grillfish, and the only personal testimonial I've heard is a relative who visited their Southern Florida location, and he said the place was okay, but uneventful (but that guy is hard to please anyway).

Glad to hear SOMETHING about Maggianos--I had been wondering about that place. At least I know to steer clear.

Sep 17th, 2000, 08:16 PM
Charles

Hmm. At $20 a person or under you're hard pressed to find anything in that neighborhood. Only thing I can suggest that would actually achieve that would be asian in Chinatown. Neither Grillfish nor Maggiano's will achieve that, though they will be the closest of most. Brew Moon was ok last time I was there, but that was years ago. Jaes will be more than $20, but is generally good if you like Asian fusion.
Bertucci's pizza is a chain, not that much character, but generally quite decent food and will be in your budget.

The proble is that many of the places around there have entrees that are more than $20 each. What sort of food/experience are you looking for?

Sep 18th, 2000, 07:12 AM
Jen

I've been to Grillfish (and live in Boston) - better food and service than Legal Seafood, which is a tourist trap. You can eat there for about $20 per person without drinks. As the name says, they serve grilled fish. I would recommend the swordfish and esp their version of shrimp scampi - VERY yum and different.

Brew Moon is okay but really loud - they do have a varied menu and a great beer selection.

Have a blast at Blue Man - I've seen it 4 times (mostly with out of town guests) and had a great time every time!

Sep 18th, 2000, 07:26 AM
larry

Checked the menu at Grill Fish.com and it looks great. They even allowed us to make a reservation (usually only for 6 or more) Thanks for your input...

Sep 25th, 2000, 09:38 AM
Ann

I have another suggestion for the theater district. We always enjoy Jacob Wirth's at 31 Stuart St. right in the theater district. It's one of the oldest restaurants in Boston, serves German food, it's simple and relatively inexpensive. Lots of locals go there before the shows.

Sep 25th, 2000, 09:51 AM
Parrot Mom

At the corner of Tremont Street and Stuart is a little Chinese Restaurant..a block away from Blue Man which we just saw a few weeks ago...don't come in after the show starts!!! Also very good on Berkely Street is Skipjacks for Seafood...also within your price range..actually excellent.. near the John Hancock Building.. Think I know about where Grillfish is, but don't know anything about them.. Legal is very highly priced..you could order as we often do from the appetizer menu..appetizers and chowder plus salad.. that cuts down on cost..

Sep 25th, 2000, 10:44 AM
toni

I looked into jacob wirths but from what I understood they have a cigar area and I have a problem with smoke period no less cigar smoke...thanks so much for all the suggestions...I think Grillfish is the answer and the shrimp scampi sounds like what I'm going to order!

Sep 25th, 2000, 12:53 PM
Jen

Just as a note - the restaurant has a 'gothic' type of feel with a wild mural on the wall...We took some friends there once and they said it felt like you were in a trendy NYC restaurant.. just FYI.