Reload this Page >

Help chosing French Quarter restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 11:07 AM
marty

I am charged with finding restaurants for 3 dinners and 3 lunches for a group of 15 people in the French Quarter in New Orleans in early January. What a problem to have!!!Money is pretty much no object. Would like suggestions for a variety of cuisines--not all high Creole-and some, but not all, casual.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 12:54 PM
joan

I had almost the same responsibility last year. We love NO and go there often but sometimes doing a group is a little more difficult. If you run into problems making a reservation for 15 I have done it by making a reservation for 2 or 3 tables with 4-6 at each table...sometimes staggering times by 10 or 15 minutes. Here are some of our favorites:
Commanders Palace - a must if NO first time
The next 3 are all great!
Nola's -
Bayona -
Emeril's-
Pelican Club - they did a wonderful job for a group of 35 last year
Grill Room at Windsor Court - great, but somewhat formal
Brigtsen's - this is a favorite but very small and not in the Quarter, you can however get there by trolly
Magnolia Grill - also by trolly - great breakfast - no reservations & usually a line (you might do this one w/o the group)
have a great time jjw

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 04:18 AM
marty

thanks for the good advice--making several reservations when a restaurant doesn't take large groups--great idea! do you or any one else have any information on the following restaurants, which have been suggested by others in our group
K-Pauls for lunch
Galatoires for lunch
Peristyle for dinner
Arnauds for dinner
also is Mike's on the Avenue still in business
In addition, my husband and I will be staying on in NO after the meeting and would like suggestions for less expensive restaurants, oyster bars (love the raw stuff), breakfast places--don't know if we'll be in the quarter or in the Garden district.

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 04:38 AM
John

K Paul's doesn't take reservations in the main dining room but does upstairs. I don't know if they have a private dining room for a small group. Mike's on the Avenue closed a few years ago and Mike Ditka's is now in that space. Finally, I don't know if Peristyle is appropriate for a group. It's more "romantic" atmospherewise and it's very loud as it is...15 people would be screaming at each other to be heard.

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 07:11 AM
David

I highly recommend NOLA and would also add Mr. B's to the list. I found K-Pauls to be ok but not nearly as good as some of the others.