Reload this Page >

help choose a new weekend wine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:15 PM
jetset1

Can you recommend any new wines you might care to share? I need you to know(sadly), that I am limited to white(honestly, I love reds, but the darn headaches are unbearable and I'm not a pill popper). J.

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 11:32 PM
jetset1

rats, my afternoon Earl Grey habit turned me into a night owl, so no more than one cup in the afternoon.. still hoping for suggestions..maybe some earlybirds will respond, haha.

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know how new it is but have recently been drinking a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc called Carmen. Very cheap and I think very good.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 03:22 AM

Not a new idea, but new to me. I found a Sauvugnon Blanc that I LOVE. Kenwood, Sauv. Blanc, California, around $11 in the Boston area.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 06:08 AM

The headaches may be because of the origin of the wine, not all reds. Is it California reds you had been drinking? Have you tried Italian reds...Chiantis, super Tuscans, Barbera, Barberesco, Dolcetto, Brunello, Barolo?
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 06:12 AM
emd

You might want to post this under the "Other" forum under the WINO'S thread. You'll get lots of advice there.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 06:18 AM

I am with you..I do not prefer Reds..however, there are some that I like. I know that reds are very "fashionable" right now. However, I drink what I like.

I have a few suggestions....Forest Glen White Merlot about $9.99 per bottle.

Two Buck Chuck. Can be bought ONLY at Trader Joes. It is 2.99 per bottle. The whites are good, however, I have found that the Pinot Noir (Red) is good and does not give me a headache. These are all good wines...not fancy...but good.

Also...sparkling wines are really good. The one I like is hit or miss because it is hard to find. It is a Michigan Wine (yes, I am not particularily fond of them, but this one is good). Mawbry Blanc de Blanc. It is about $18 per bottle. Not cheap but good.

Also, Rosemount Estates (Australian) chardonnay is good.

Harder to find, but really good is a South African wine. The one I had (cannot remember the name, but have had several) had a screw cap. It was good.

Screw caps are actually the "wave" of the future. It no longer indicates, however, it can; a Cheap wine lipe ripple or something.

I have done a lot of research in this area, as I really like wine and liked it even more after we did a tour of the wine country.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:02 AM

I'm convinced the "wine=headache" relationship is determined by body chemistry more than anything else. Whites, for example, give me headaches and flushed skin. CHEAP reds from anywhere in the world (yes, Italy too) will also give me headaches. The sweeter, the bigger the headache (so I stay away from all sweet wines).

California reds are invariably big (vivid bouquet and well-defined flavors), but the better ones reward drinkers with complexity that I don't get from most white wines. Gently test pinot noirs and cabs from the better wineries like Robert Mondavi (this is the low end of the price range, but it's quite drinkable), Frei Brothers (we get their cabs here in CA for around $18 a bottle-- actually cheap for good wine), Firestone and (at the high end) Stags Leap Winery (awesome reds). And any of these wineries will offer whites that are at the very least pleasant, especially in the "heavier" Sauvignon Blanc varieties.

Do you have a wine specialty store near you? That's a great start. The one near my house is run by true wine freaks, and they offer weekend tastings (10 wines, nibbles and a palate-cleansing "amuse-bouche" selection at the end) and evening wine analysis classes. Even attending the informal tastings is smart-- I went to one recently and sampled some brilliant Italian Barolos (they were pricey too, but I had to have a couple of bottles afterward!).
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:19 AM
jetset1

rjw~ great insight for my wine education. I think I'll experiment and not be so provintial..Tina, I honestly did not know Michigan even produced wine, interesting. And South Africa.. oh yes, I visited Stellenbosch in the early eighties as part of a two month vacation and visiting relatives spread from Pretoria/Jo'burg to Capetown, incredibly beautiful country, warm and gracious people(see, gotta stay travel oriented)..I love their wine and Australian too.
emd~ good idea, but I figure posting here will get a wide variety of input and possibly distract our "muffin" from more frivolous posts.

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Maybe not new but good solid choices are Toad's Hollow and Toasted Head chardonnays.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:30 AM

jetset1: It's not "provincial" to stick with what you like. It's entirely possible that your system just doesn't take to red wine. That's why I suggest "gently" testing them. And pairing wine with cheese, pepperoni and the like isn't accidental; given how flavors can linger in the mouth with some wines, the fat in cheese mellows them out somewhat. Have a variety of food with varying spice and flavors-- different wines respond in unique ways to, say, a slice of pepperoni than to a hunk of mozzarella with a basil leaf (or whatever).

Without getting all pretentious on you, wine is worth enjoying and learning about, and it can spur on travel plans (I myself am planning a trip up to Paso Robles later this year for some wine tasting).
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:34 AM

While you are here in Houston, get your sister to take you to College Station and visit the Messina Hof winery. Pretty good, not great, but very interesting.

Also, have her take you to Spec's downtown. One of the largest wine and liquor stores in the country. In 2001, while winery tour in Napa, the guide asked where each visitor was from. Since that was the time Enron was causing the energy crisis in California, we were afraid to say we were from Houston. When we did answer the question, the host told us he loved Houston. Why? Spec's. It sold more of his wine than any other store in the country.

As for initial question, do you prefer lighter wines (Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Grigio), heavier (Chardonnay) or sweeter (Gerwurztraminer and Riesling). I think Luna di Luna makes a good everyday pinot grigio for under $8. The Chilean wines are some of the best values you will find. If you like sparkling wine, try the Spanish Cavas. We found a great brand that sells for around $6.00.

The Red Wine Headache is one of those age old mysteries that has many different explanations. I find there is a high inverse correlation between quality and headaches. The poorer the quality, the higher probability of a headache.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:37 AM

It is the sulfites in red wine that gives people a headache. French wines..not imported but in France do not have sulfites. We have them in the USA
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:40 AM
jetset1

rjw~ good point. My mom spent a long time in France during her later years. She used to tell my sister and I not to be provincial, more in regard to travel, as that was her passion, and I sort of intended it as wordplay, but failed,lol. As I spent so much time with my mom traveling, I was able to sample many good wines, and I appreciate that to this day.
I used to live in the San Joaquin valley, so I know Paso Robles, though I was only old enough to sample the free almonds back then.
Thanks again for your help. You sound like a valuable source for a bored white wine drinker(time to dust off my Wine for Dummies again). J.

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Nothing new, but my favorite white is La Crema Chardonnay. Also, I love Chilean, too - try Santa Rita (readily available) and Undurraga (may be hard to find here).
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:50 AM

I love Villa Maria Sauv Blanc from New Zealand. It's about $15.00 a bottle.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:53 AM

Yes, there are Michigan wines. However, there are a few that are even good. I do not prefer Michigan Wines. I happend to come across this one sparkiling one becasue it was served in a 5 star restaurant up North in Michigan. Most however are not even worth purchasing to try.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Tina - all wines contain sulfites. It's a naturally occuring compound. I imagine the reason you don't see them on wine in France is just because the government there doesn't require the warning lable.

jetset1 - Do try Caymus Conundrum. Around $20...it's my absolute favorite white, and I think it has a lot of complexity. It's a blend of several whites, and although it's a dry wine, it has enough fruit and body to make it enjoyable w/out food.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 08:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Just for fun try some of the nicer dessert wines and blushes. I had been discriminating against sweeter wines until I started trying the better ones. Good French blushes and German dessert wines may be a nice surprise.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 08:23 AM

I like Chardonnays from Casa La Postolle (Chile) and Edna Valley, CA. They are each under $15/bottle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -