Help- Boston, Cape Cod, Newport

Old May 2nd, 2017, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help- Boston, Cape Cod, Newport

Husband and self-older adults-first time to area. Love history, walking and biking. I found working on genealogy that my family helped settle Newport so that is in this equation. Looking to spend 8-10 days. Thinking to fly in/out of Boston, spending 2 days sightseeing on arrival on a weekend in midJune. Then go to Cape Cod.

Is it best to ferry over to Providence and then rent a car OR rent a car in Boston and drive to Cape Cod. I am most concerned about getting back to Boston to fly home. Ferry schedules with weather issues a little confusing.

Next question- Is it realistic to spend 4 nights on Cape Cod with 1 day trip to Newport ...or will that be too rushed? Trying to figure what crowds/traffic will be like.

Can you bring a car into Newport or is there a shuttle/ferry to take from the Cape?

I know everything looks close on the map but don't want to jam to much in and not enjoy.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:26 AM

When are you planning this trip? The ferries run seasonally. I think the Boston to Provincetown one is mid May till October and the Provincetown to Newport starts mid June. If you are planning another time, then renting a car in Boston makes sense, although you could get there by bus.

I think renting a car in Provincetown is probably going to be less expensive than renting in Boston, but you will have ferry costs.

If it is a warm, sunny day, taking the ferry is a nice option, and also eliminates driving in the hub of the universe where there are "alternate rules" for what is expected of a driver.

I would want a car both on the cape and to explore the Newport area. The fast ferries look like they are passengers only, so you would need return the car in Ptown and use taxis and feet in Newport if you decide to do the ferries.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:29 AM

This needs sorting out, and I will take the first shot at it - and then hope others will refine it.

First, I am unaware of any ferry to Providence. Do you mean Provincetown? Providence is capital of RI and about an hour drive south of Boston and about 45 minutes drive to Newport from there. Provincetown is the tip of Cape Cod.

In 8-10 days you can have a nice trip doing all of this. Depending on time of arrival at Logan, I would rent a car and drive directly to Newport, which is about 1 1/2 hours south. Stay there 3 nights (which gives you 2 days to see sites and do your genealogy thing).

Then drive to Cape Cod. You do not need to go all the way out to Provincetown. Plenty of nice places to stay mid-Cape. Let us know what you are interested in on Cape Cod and we can fine tune that a bit. Stay 2-3 nights.

Then drive back to Boston. Turn in the car. Stay right downtown - which goes by various names in hotel descriptions and will be expensive. By your description you will end up in Boston on a non-weekend, which could be a bit cheaper. Stay 2-3 nights.

This eliminates concerns about making flight from Logan - and I would never rely on Provincetown ferry to get me to catch a flight. The order of destinations could be changed to accommodate hotel costs, travel, personal preference - but I would start at the most distant place and work backwards to Boston all these being equal.

Another option to consider is flying into TF Green Airport (Providence) and out of Logan. Not likely to be cheaper and would likely involve more stops on flight depending on city of origination. Just something to throw in the mix.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I would drive. I like Provincetown and Newport. Just know traffic in and off the cape can be very slow. I don't like flying on day I leave cape.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:49 AM

Really depends on preference. I don't think weather is a problem. That is the most tame ferry ride I've ever taken.

Do you want to rent a car? Is Provincetown and the outer cape the main draw or elsewhere. Cape has got traffic problems. It's a compact area but relatively slow going. It has a bus service but if you want to visit all the little towns, you're better off with a car. If you just want visit, say, Provincetown and Nantucket, you don't need (or probably want) a car.

We took the ferry to Provincetown and stayed there. Took the bus to Truro and the National seashore. I took the bus by myself to Hyannis to ride the ferry to Nantucket- I wanted to see some of the island by bike. I would do it again- I loved Provincetown- but since I had older relatives along, I wish we had had a car. They would have liked the smaller towns. Provincetown is family friendly but it's also sort of a Pride party town. You might not be into that vibe. Provincetown had history and people watching and food to keep me happy- but my relatives essentially bar hopped. I mean they enjoyed it, but they probably would have enjoyed tootling along the roads and stopping for shopping in each place more. But I would have been the driver and they are terrible, terrible backseat drivers...thus the ferry to Provincetown.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:56 AM

There is a ferry from Newport to Providence (if I remember right) so maybe we're confused about the order you're doing this trip in? Are you wanting to do Providence, Newport, and the cape?
Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, I tecommend flying into and out of Providence's airport. Small, easy. Southwest flies there.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the replays!
We are planning the trip mid-June.
Yes, I meant Provincetown.
I would be grateful for suggestions on how to order this trip.
We are open to any ideas as to the order of the itinerary.
Looking for what would be the least stressful and the most relaxing.
We are not into shopping - more about getting out experiencing the life of the destination. Provincetown sounds like a wonderful arts community. Understand there are all kinds of lifestyles.

Is parking available in Newport during the week in June?
Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:38 PM

Again, depends on your idea of stress. I find driving stressful. I like Boston and Provincetown specifically because no car is necessary. But buses make stops so it takes longer to get place to place.

Order would also depend on price for me. You're going to want to check Boston, Newport, and Provincetown prices for hotels for all nights. Not to mention minimum night stays. You can negotiate sometimes. But I was having a devil of a time finding a place that would let me stay for one or two nights over the weekend. I know the place we stayed in Provincetown wanted a certain minimum but they made allowances for my dates (I was willing to pay for 5 nights total, it's just their system wanted me to pay for one night before our arrival).

Just stay in the busy places if possible (newport, Provincetown, Boston)- in central lodging WITH guaranteed parking. Then you don't need to worry about aprking to eat or sightsee.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 03:22 PM

Naval Station Newport, loved when my husband had training there, I would always join him last week and explore. It is not bad driving at all. I have flown into Boston and Providence. Providence is much smaller. I would probably do that first and then go to the cape. https://trurovineyardsofcapecod.com/ We enjoyed it here and there was a food truck with the best lobster rolls.

I would take the fast ferry to Nantucket one day but book in advance for best times.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:43 PM

What Gail wrote. 100% how I would do it. Also give some feedback on what you want to see on the Cape - P-Town (aka Provincetown) is very different from mid-Cape (Yarmouth area) which is very different from lower cape (Falmouth area). The only other tip I have is do not travel onto the Cape on a Friday afternoon - you will add 1-2 hours to your drive time if you do.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:46 PM

Also after re-reading your post - you could do a day trip to Newport easily from upper Cape area (which is the southern part of the Cape...we don't know why lol) but I would not attempt from P-town.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

You have all been very helpful. I am ready to start checking prices/availability like marvelousmouse mentioned. Didn't even think about the minimum stay constraint...good to know! Thinking of staying in Chatham and exploring Cape from there. Ending the trip in Boston. You've given me lots of keep in mind as I plan. Thank you so much!
Old May 3rd, 2017, 03:41 AM

http://brickalley.com/ One of our favorite places to eat in Newport. I would take the car back to the airport before staying in Boston. It is easy to get around Boston without a car and back to the airport. Very expensive to park in Boston.

https://www.johnjeffrieshouse.com/ One of the most affordable places to stay in Boston. It is not super fancy but clean and good area except for the sirens. Book asap.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 04:09 AM

I live on Nantucket and travel frequently both to Boston and the Newport area.

I agree strongly with both Gail and capecod73: Newport first, flying into either Green Airport (PVD) or Logan (BOS); then Cape (or rather, the three Capes or maybe six because the north side of the Cape is very different from the south side); then Boston, getting rid of the car as soon as you arrive.

There are only two bridges onto the Cape. The Bourne Bridge carries most of the traffic from RI, CT, NY, and the western suburbs of Boston. The Sagamore Bridge takes the rest of the Boston traffic.

Friday afternoon is a good time to leave the Cape but not to drive on because people who own houses there and in the Islands come down Friday afternoon and evening, whereas few Cape Codder drive north.

Saturday is turnover day on the Cape. Rentals begin and end on Saturdays, and roads are crowded in both directions. If you come before June 19, this won't be a huge problem, but summer vacation begins that weekend and the hordes will descend. I had a terrible time getting a car ferry reservation to Nantucket coming back from medical appointments in Boston, and I am a local with special privileges.

Sunday morning to the Cape can have day tripper traffic; Sunday afternoon is owners on their way home and day trippers, so it is busy. Again, less so in mid June than in late June-August.

So I would say, spend your Cape time midweek, bookended by Newport (and nearby) and Boston.

Finally, I will say something that Gail usually says: lodging is expensive in Boston, but beware of any hotel in a hyphenated location: Braintree-Boston, Waltham-Boston, etc. They are way out.