Search

Helicopter in Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helicopter in Kauai

My husband and I are going to Kauai in two weeks. We live in Brazil, so our trip to get to Hawaii is very, very long and expensive. We haven't heard here in Brazil about any helicopter accident in Kauai. When and how was it? The helicopter flight would be my husband's trip highlihgt, but I'm now afraid of it. What company was it? Are the flights cancelled? Please, any information will be very wellcome. THANKS
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:36 AM

Jack Harter Helicopters Bell 205 Jet Ranger crashed into the side of Mount Waialeale at about the 4,600-foot level with five people on board on July 23, 2003.

June 16, 2003 a helicopter crashed on the Big Island.

Though it's unusual for two crashes to occur so close together they helicopter companies reamin busy: http://starbulletin.com/2003/07/28/news/story4.html
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:07 PM

If it's someone's dream I don't think they should skip it. I mean we could die in a simple household accident. It's not that important to me though so I choose not to go.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 03:36 PM

I would rather die in a helicopter over Kauai than anywhere else. =)We flew out of Port Allen with Inter-Island
We had a great time and would do it again. If you stop to consider the number of helicopter trips that have flown in Hawaii there arent that many crashes. Still more likely to die in the rental car on the way there.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 03:51 PM
gyppielou

Never allow fear to guide you. In Brazil there are many poisonous snakes, and other species. That would frighten me but not keep me from visiting. In the ocean, jelly fish sting, sharks bite, barracuddas don't just look mean, they are, especially if the see a diamond on your hand. We flew with Jack Harter 4 years ago, and if I were in Kauai tomorrow I would go again. They are so safety orientated as to almost dissappoint. Back in the day, well, they were all Vietnam pilots with no boundaries.....oh how I would have loved to fly with them before all the restrictions!!!

Your helicopter trip will be at least if not more safe than your flight from Brazil. Enjoy, relax and have a wonderful trip. Go to a farmers market and get a bunch of flowers for your room!!

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:42 PM

The helicopter trip will NOT be as safe as the flight from Brazil. According to the National Transportation Safety Board, tour helicopters have a much much higher fatality rate than commercial aircraft.

Do your research and make an educated decision. Review the various posts under "helicopter crash on Kauai".
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 04:35 AM
koa

We never know when its are time to go. If this is something you want to do, GO FOR IT! Driving is a lot more dangerous. Seeing Kauai by helicopter is an awesome experience.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 05:50 AM

This is a personal decision and you must make the decision for yourself. Jack Harter Helicopters is the main one recommmended in my guidebook. It is well-respected and not a "fly by night" company. Do your research and decide what risk you are willing to take.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 07:28 AM

We have not taken a helicopter tour in Kauai, but we did on Maui and loved it. When I was much younger I had boyfriends I rode motorcycles with. My mother used to say she was afraid I'd be killed. I always countered with "more people die in bed than on motorcycles." Don't think it lessened her fears, but I was never afraid and here I am years later. Obviously you must make your own decision, but the odds are with you.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 07:43 AM

Giovanna, I do not disagree with you but would like to add that a lot more people walk away from motorcycle mishaps than helicopter mishaps. Sometimes what goes up, must come down.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:11 AM

I am an anti-helicopterite. Why? For a number of reasons. Firstly, the saftey issue is an obvious concern. Touring helicopters crash a bit too often for my piece of mind. Secondly, when I go into the wild back country of beautiful places like the Grand Canyon, Australia, or Hawaii, the last thing I want is to be inindated with incessent chopper noise. I want to see beautiful views. The last thing I want to see is a copter diving into a gorge, or coming up over a ridge I'm trying to photograph. Helicopters turn beautiful natural spaces into a noisey, polluted circus. It is out of control, really, and I think heli-flights should be severly restricted and cut back. If people want to see more of Kauai and get spectacular views and they are reasonably fit and able, why not walk a couple of miles on a hiking trail? The views are spectacular and take you to pretty much the same places as the copters go (believe me, I know) with the exeption of mt. Wai'ale''ale which is only accessible by air during the most pristine flying conditions (not all heli flights make it into Mt. Wai'ale'ale...and not all make it safety OUT of Mt. Wai'ale'ale either) Take a walk to take in views. You also get the added bonus of a liesured pace (you can stand and look at that view as long as you want, exersise and fresh air. Anyway, just my opinion, but sure to invoke some interesting discussion.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:35 AM

I too the Inter-Island heli-tour in July and was one of the highlights of the trip. Definitely do it!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:35 AM

I took the Inter-Island heli-tour in July and was one of the highlights of the trip. Definitely do it!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:46 PM
MightyIsis

We took Will Sqyres (spelling?) helicopter tour. At the time we visited Kauai (May 2000) they had a perfect safety record. I was scared at the beginning, but after you are in the copter a few minutes it really feels like a pilot has more control in a helicopter than in an airplane.

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 04:18 PM

I have to say I agree with Corgie about the intrusiveness of helicopters. I wonder if anyone else on the forum feels the same way?
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:46 AM

Yes, Corgie and aloha, there is at least one other on this forum who feels the same way: I do! The noise of helicopters is very intrusive for those of us who chose to get our kicks (and views) on foot.