Helicopter flights to be curtailed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2016, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New York City announced an agreement this morning with the major operator of heli tourist flights around Manhattan.

They will begin cutting back on flights as of June and by January flights will be cut in half - 30 K flights versus 60K fights per year. There will be no flights at all allowed on Sundays and to further ease the noise pollution for people living on the waterfronts there will be bans on flights above additional areas, including Governor's Island, with info on other specific areas to follow.

I know many people think NYC is already loud, but noise from helis (we're not near the river so we get only very rare incursions by police helis) can be shattering.
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 06:38 AM

We used to have a patrol copter. It was loud and a bit silly: Nothing like criminals being able to hear how close the police are! (I can understand a copter that assists investigations.)
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

We have had police copters a couple of times when they knew a criminal was in the area (one escaped from burgling a couple of brownstones) and they were flying very low (with a giant searchlight) to try to find him in a back yard or whatever so they could direct the guys in cars/on foot. That time they got him after several similar burglaries.
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 11:56 AM

Ours did that, which makes sense, but it also basically had a route it flew at night/late afternoon. When I used to play golf on regular basis, it would fly out over the course at around a certain time. The only crime being committed on the golf course was my game!
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

No in NYC the police helicopters don't patrol - they are used only for specific activities requiring air cover. Like the police and fire boats they are called out only when needed.
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 04:31 PM

Well I think that's great - although sorry for the loss of making a living for a few. Our local airport recently had a hell company school. THAT was annoying and during lovely days last summer, I actually shut the house and put on the AC to cut down the headache repitition sound of the rotor.

as well as celebrities and athletes flying over during game days at the nearby stadium.