heartbreake hotel/memphis

Old May 13th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

heartbreake hotel/memphis

anyone stayed there? is it ok for some days?
looks ok on the net, and the price is ok.
thanks
Old May 13th, 2003, 04:57 AM

I've heard bad reports about it. It's in an awful part of town...I'd look for something else if I were you.
Old May 13th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

thanks, i drop that hotel. what area is ok to stay??, not looking for top-end hotel, but not rock bottom.we will stay there 2-3 days in august.we are there just to see the town, eat, and have a few beers.any ok pubs??
Old May 13th, 2003, 05:49 AM

jannik -- I think the most fun area of town for a tourist to stay would be downtown. There aren't a lot of hotels, but there are a few reasonably priced ones. The Peabody is the grand hotel in town and it is quite expensive. You might get a good deal, but I doubt it.

Next door is a Radisson. These are middle-market hotels and are usually middle range in price. It's a fine location.

There is also a Days Inn or Holiday Inn (can't remember which) directly across the street from the Peabody. This will be cheaper, but it is an older property and might not be as nice as the Radisson.

As for pubs nearby, there are quite a few bars on Beale Street, walking distance from each of these hotels. There is also the new Peabody Place, which I haven't seen, but might have some stuff there. Most of the bars on Beale Street will have live music, at least on the weekends. I've always liked Rum Boogie and the BB King club is okay.

Please remember that downtown Memphis is a little sketchy at night. Stay in the well-lit and well-trafficked areas near the Peabody Hotel and Beale and you'll be okay.

You might also do a search on this site for more hotel info.

Also, be sure to try the Rendezvous. It's a barbecue place in an alley near the Peabody. It's really an institution. They are known for their "dry ribs" which means that they are rubbed with dry spices and marinated or topped with a vinegar-based sauce. A little different -- very tasty.
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:30 AM

topping for Melissa
Old May 13th, 2003, 03:15 PM

I am from Memphis. Don't stay at the heartbreak! Downtown is the best place to stay. The Peabody is not worth the price. Try the Radisson or Holiday Inn Express (Both right next to The Peabody and convenient to everything).

Automatic Slims is good (Union and second). Peabody Place has Dan McGuiness Irish Pub - great for a beer. There is also Gordon Biersh, its a brewery. Also good for a beer, and lunch outside. At Union and Front there is a Russian cuisine place called Cafe Samovar. I have never had a bad meal here and everyone I take really enjoys it. Also check out McEwens on Monroe.

The Rendevous is good for dry ribs and a pitcher of beer and that is it! Worth skipping if you aren't dying for some ribs. The Gibson Guitar lounge is worth seeing. Beale street is the place at night for drinks, dancing, etc. Pat O'briens and Club 152 are recommended.