Search

hearst castle worth it without tour?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hearst castle worth it without tour?

Hi,

We unfortunately can't get a tour the Saturday morning mid-May that we will find ourselves in that area. Because of other obligations before and after, we can't change our timing.

Is it worth it to take the time to go just to see the castle from the outside, and the grounds, or would you skip it and use the time for extra hiking and general ooh-ing and ah-ing at the lovely coastal scenery?

If it helps any, this will be in the midst of a trip visiting family in Southern CA for a week, then having two days to drive up the coast, a night in San Jose with other family, and 5 days in SF and wine country.

Thanks for any input!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:43 PM

When you tour Hearst Castle, you take a shuttle bus from the visitor's center up a narrow, winding road to the house, which is at the top of a hill. From the visitor's center, you can't see much.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Have you tried the different tours? I checked their site and they appear to have lots of tours available on Saturdays in May.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:13 PM

I'm not easily impressed, but the Hearst Castle is worth a "tour".
M
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:31 PM

I've enjoyed tours there twice, but to answer your actual question, if you can't get a tour, I'd pass on going up there just to see the place from the outside. I'd then put that time to better use, and visit Hearst next time.

But I'm having a hard time imagining there are no tours available over a month ahead!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Save Hearst for when you can do a tour. Check out the quaint, coastal town of Cambria. Stroll through the village or go down to Moonstone Beach. It's a great place to just sit and watch the sea lions on the rocks there.

Have dinner at the Sow's Ear Cafe and go to Linn's for some ollalieberry goodies. ***kim***
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

You folks are wonderful.

Indeed, because we have never been before, I'd only thought to check for the recommended 1st timers tour, Tour #1. That's what's sold out...the others are available!

From being reminded of the other tours, I was also reminded that there are evening tours in May, so we could do an evening tour on Friday.

Any opinions/preferences between whether we should do an evening tour, or morning tour? And if morning, any opinions/preferences between Tour #s 2, 3, or 4?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Oops, I got so excited that we're going to get to do a tour after all, that I forgot to do a search first on my follow-up question about which tour. I see now that there are plenty of threads on that, so I'll look there, and you all can save your helpful replies for posters on newer topics! Thanks again.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 09:23 AM

If you are not getting the tour you prefer, you might check when you arrive to see if there are cancellations and if you can trade off.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 04:51 PM

I think the evening tour sounds really nice! ***kim***
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:40 PM

Without a tour the "castle" is a speck on the top of a hill. It's hard to believe that you can't get on one of the many tours, but if you can't--like *kim* said--Cambria is delightful and the surrounding area is beautiful.

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Sorry, I didn't notice your request for an alternate to Tour #1. I definitely recommend Tour #2. It gives a close inspection of the outside of the mansion, the famous outdoor pool, the indoor pool (not included in Tour #1), and several of the bedrooms and the kitchen (none of which are on Tour #1). I liked Tour #2 better than Tour #1.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 01:40 PM

You just have to see the indoor pool. Your kids will love it.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 04:48 PM

I took two tours the day we went. I took a special handicapped tour with my husband and then tour 2, which involved climbing stairs to the bedrooms and the indoor pool. I really enjoyed it. I called the number listed on their web site and booked both tours. I remember hearing about an evening tour also. I would only go if I was able to get a tour.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 06:00 AM

Just came back from the Cambria(BTW Kim, loved Cypress cove Inn, Linn's and the Sea Chest). I loved Hearst Castle, but we did the #1 tour and felt we were somewhat rushed...did not care for the tour guide either. I wished we could have done another tour. BTW, the elephant seals were the one of the major highlights of our trip!!!! There were thousands! I was so in love!!!! Will donate to the Seal Foundation.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 06:19 AM

I had a similar experience to the one Judy had. Our guide for Tour #1 was annoyingly amateurish, whereas the guide on Tour #2 was very informed and professional. Perhaps guides start out with Tour #1 and those who are good work themselves into the other tours.