Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HELP! Looking for advice on a trip to HEARST CASTLE!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy New Year to everyone!

I am planning a trip to Hearst Castle (driving from Los Angeles). Would love your advice on any of the following:

1) Better times of the year to go? (I want to avoid June through Sept)... When have you found it a magical time to be there?

2) Recommended places to stay? I like charm and cleanliness. B&Bs are fine.

3) How much time should I give to this trip? I guess we'll be driving PCH1 from Los Angeles, probably NOT on a weekend, but during the week.

4) For those of you who took the EVENING TOUR of the castle...was it worth it? It sounds pretty cool. Maybe we'll do one day tour, and one evening.

Many thanks!
--Betty
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

P.S. If we take PCH 1 to the castle, please recommend a stop in between (LA & Hearst) that would make a nice "midpoint" break.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 02:20 PM

In my opinion, you are choosing to avoid the best months to visit the Castle--the summer months, when you have the best chance to enjoy the castle hilltop in the sun and the magnificent views of the ocean and surrounding mountains without fog.

If you have advance reservations for your specific tours--which you MUST have in the summer--you will not endure long waits due to the crush of crowds. In contrast to the oreation of some other public monuments I've experienced, I have found the California State Parks' operation of the visitor center and dispatch of the tours at Hearst to be an outstanding model of efficiency in the face of the challenge of enormous numbers of visitors.

If I can not persuade you to go during the summer months, go as close to summer as you can. October in particular can be great in this area.

Whether or not you take the night tour, do take at least two day tours. One will just whet your appetite. Tour #1 is cited as the one you should take if you can only take one, but I think #2 would serve as well even though there is little duplication between the two, and if you take two day tours (my minimum recommendation)these would be the two to take.

Only #2 gets you into the Hearst private suite, the magnificent library and other things to see on the upper main castle floors, where #1 does not go. I think it's a must.

#3 and #4 are worthwhile, but I would take them only if I had already taken or booked both #1 and #2. I would take as many day tours as you feel you can. The tour guides on the tours other than #1 tend to be more experienced than the guides on #1, the "introductory" tour, and the groups smaller.

I would like to go, but have never been, on the Evening Tour. You should, however, check to be sure the Evening Tour is being given when you plan to be there, or to see if you want to plan your date ant the Castle at a time when it will be available. It is given much less frequently than the others.

As I recall, some months of the year it is not offered at all, and the months it is offered it may be given only one night a week, sometimes more. I think, but am not sure, that it is most likely to be given Friday and Saturday nights.

Consult the web site, or call the phone number given there, to find out:
http://tinyurl.com/ymvag4

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Betty:

Gebo is correct. The evening tour is only offered at certain times of the year, on certain days. We went in early Nov. several years ago. This was on a Friday nite. It was very enjoyable. Docents were in costume of the 1930's and in character, as if they were guests of WR Hearst. For example: we went into the kitchen and a guy was dressed up as a chef. He began telling us what he was whipping up for dinner!! Very fun. We also got to see the private living quarters, pools & guest cottage. We were also treated to a fabulous sunset over the Pacific. Check it out and I hope it will work for you.

You may want to stop on the way in Solvang/Santa Inez area.

MY
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 03:23 PM

Betty: That's great advice from the other posters about doing multiple tours. I would love to do the night tour, but we haven't timed it right. The visitor's center is great and well organized, it's also at the bottom of the hill where you leave your car. You take a bus up to the castle, plus you will take it back down at the conclusion. So allow for that time to come back down the hill to catch your next tour. It's all so interesting and with the wonderful views, it didn't bother us to go up and back again.

We stayed in the nearby town of Cambria. It's very quaint with cute little shops and plenty of dining. I don't know about a B&B (there must be one)but we did very well by renting a vacation home we found via internet. We were there in Jan or Feb and did well as it was the "off" season.

Solvang has a place in my heart as my Danish granny lived in the Buellton, the next town over. It's a very unique place!

Have a great trip, we just loooove Hearst Castle.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Happy New Year to you all!

GeBo: Yes, I believe the Evening Tour is offered only during the spring and fall months.

It sounded as though Tour #1 held the largest amount of people and would not be the best if one had questions. #2 sounded a bit smaller, relaxed and more interesting. I guess it all depends if we want to include the evening tour or not. Personally, I just thing an evening tour would be a nice contrast and very atmospheric. Two tours a day wounds like enough for me.

Can't wait to go...Many thanks!

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Whoops-- typos! I meant to say:

"... I just THINK an evening tour would be a nice contrast and very atmospheric. Two tours a day SOUNDS like enough for me."
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 09:14 PM

Since I have family in the area, I've had the opportunity to enjoy each of the tours at Hearst Castle. The Evening Tour has always been my favorite. The group size is much smaller and a great opportunity to ask the guide more questions. If it's available during your visit, that would be my recommendation. Just be sure to reserve tickets early, since this tour oftens sells out well in advance.

Cambria is a nice town to stay in the area. A few of my restaurant recommendations would include the Sow's Ear and Robin's. For casual Italian food, Lombardi's is always a favorite.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

sightseer: Thanks, and Happy New Year!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 06:13 PM

We were there this past October and stayed at The Orchid Inn in San Simeon. It was nice - not 5 star, but nice, clean and very friendly. It's about 5 minutes from the visitors' center.

Ideally, I would take 2 tours one dday and go back and take others the next day.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

teach2: Thanks for your input! I thought maybe one day and one evening tour. And the next day, maybe we would just explore Cambria, the nearby vineyards (Paso Robles?) or look for the elephant seals.

What did you think of San Simeon? Was it charming?

Cheers!