Search

Hearst Castle Tours

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hearst Castle Tours

I will be in San Simeon for one day on Sept. 29, never having visited before. I'm considering taking two tours of the castle, Tour 1,which is recommmended for first time visitors, and one of the other tours.

Are two tours too much for one day? Any suggestions which tour I sould select for the second tour?
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 05:24 AM

Just my point of view, but I would say two tours is a bit much, and that comes from someone who's been there twice and liked it.

However, if you're determined to do two in a day, Tour 1 is the way to start, and then I think the nightime tour is best, though that's a matter of opinion, of course.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 06:12 AM

If it's possible, go on the Sunset tour - it's fantastic.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:17 AM

I agree with the sunset/nightime tour advice, because I think then you get some things from all the tours, as well as some special features. But I think you will want to take at least one daytime tour to see the grounds and the spectacular outdoor pool, as well as the terrific views of the mountains and the ocean from up there on the hilltop, in the daylight if you can.

I disagree about two tours being too much. I think it is just right. If you find the Castle, its grounds and setting fascinating and beautiful, as many of us do, then one tour will be over too soon and just whet your appetite.

Tour One is definitely the "must" daytime tour. Of the other three, I think Tour Two is the most interesting. It definitely takes you some places you will want to see that Tour One does not. And it's not like Tour One is a prerequisite for the others--if you can book a Tour Two earlier in the day than you can book a Tour One, for instance, which you may be able to do since so many more people will be taking Tour One, I wouldn't hesitate to do that. Usually, the earlier in the day the tour is, the fewer people, especially on Tours Two, Three and Four, and that is advantageous.

But the rule above all is--reserve in advance! I've talked to numerous people who didn't and got shut out.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:28 AM

I took tour 2 recently and enjoyed it, and would probably have liked to do another if we had the time. The one big pain in the rear is that after the first tour, you have to take the 15 minute bus ride back down to the main gate and then another bus back up again. That kills 1/2 hour on a bus. I really think they should move into the millenium and find a better way...
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Now That is a place I want to see.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. I would love to take the night tour for our second tour, but it is not available for the day we visit!! So it looks like Tour 2 is the pick.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 05:24 PM

If you never intend to go back, by all means use your day and take two tours. Sorry the night one is not available, but you will enjoy both tours you choose. (Weird place <giggle>.)