Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HEARST CASTLE, FUN STOP FOR TEENAGERS??????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 1997, 07:57 AM
Emarald

We are planning to make some stops along the coast on our trip to California this summer (traveling with our 17 and 13 year old teenagers.) A lot of mixed messages whether or not to stop at Hearst Castle. Some say, teenagers won't enjoy, others say it's a "must see."

Would love to get some feedback one way or the other. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old Jul 16th, 1997, 08:13 AM
denise

It depends on whether or not your children enjoy traveling and seeing new things. Hearst Castle really is incredible. I think I was 10 or 11 when I saw it, and I was amazed.

Old Jul 16th, 1997, 08:23 AM
Steve

Have you read/heard about the new movie that is available/recommended to see before taking the short tram ride from the beach to the castle? It is at the parking lot area in a pavillion where you board the tram. There is a small fee for this well done documentary. This will whet their interest in this historical/ architectual marvel. Hearst Castle is a "must see" on one's California vacation. I hope you enjoy it and the rest of your California vacation.

Old Jul 16th, 1997, 10:59 AM
Polly

I agree with Steve...a must see. So the teenagers are bored for part of one day of the trip...it won't be the first time they have been bored and chances are they, too, will find something interesting about it. If I were trying to find something of interest for teens along that route, this is not what I would choose, but I would not drive past it simply because it is not at the top of their list.

Old Jul 16th, 1997, 11:46 AM
Emarald

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm definately putting on my list......

Old Jul 18th, 1997, 08:37 PM
Polly

Forgot to mention...since you are traveling with teens in that area, definitely plan to stay overnight in San Luis Obispo at The Madonna Inn...no connection to the performer. It is a kitchsy (sp?) place painted flamingo pink with theme rooms, many of them with waterfall showers. Call them and ask for a description of what's available, then select the most outlandish. It's something you will talk about for years!

Old Jul 21st, 1997, 07:47 AM
emarald

Polly:

Thanks for the tip on The Madonna Inn, we have heard of this unique establishment and have made reservations for one night on our way up the coast. This trip has been hard to coordinate because there is soooo much to do and see, and neither my husband nor I have ever been to California. But we are all looking forward to it. And with all the advice from the Fodor's participants it has made the arrangements a little easier!

Old Jul 21st, 1997, 02:04 PM
dlaredo

On the way up the coast, stop at Pfeifer Big Sur State Park (in Big Sur) and hike to the waterfall or up the gorge (with bathing suits). Or, stop at Andrew Molera State Park (just 1 mile past Big Sur) and ride from the private stables thru a redwood forest, cross the river onto the bluffs, and gallop into the surf. Just South of Carmel, take a hike along the coast at Point Lobos State Park for some of the most dramatic scenery imaginable.

Old Jul 21st, 1997, 04:41 PM
Sara

We took a trip along the California coast last summer with our 17 year old son and he thought the Hearst Castle was fine. He of course preferred the scene at Venice beach, etc. more but don't miss the castle..the kids will remember it! We loved the Monteray Peninsula..especially little Pacific Grove. one of the best family vacations we've ever taken. Enjoy!