Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Healdsburg area spa / winery suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm headed to Healdsburg for a girls trip in March. We'd like to do a spa day while we're there. Looking at the spas at Kenwood Inn and Hotel Healdsburg. Anyone have strong opinions on either of those?

As far as tastings, both of us plan to taste, and neither wants to drive. We'd like to arrange for a driver that would help advise us on wineries to visit and take care of reservations for those that require them. We want small, boutique-y, places... no large commercial operations. Are there companies that specialize in this type of service? We don't really want to do the big group bus tour -- looking for a more personalized experience, hopefully with someone who has ties to the area and lots of knowledge to share.

Thanks in advance for your advice -- I always get such great info here!!
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 09:47 PM

Hi, just saw your query on day spas ideas or the Sonoma area and wanted to tell you more about Kenwood Inn and Spa. Yes, I am the concierge here, but I can tell you that I genuinely believe that we would be a great option for your group. We were named one of the top 3 spas in the country by Condé Nast Traveller Magazine last April, named Top Small US Resort by their readers in November and topped their Gold List this month. In addition, I have some great ideas about some great boutique wineries that would be great for you to visit and transportation to and from while you are here. Would it be possible for me to give you a call?”

Regards, Lynn

Lynn Ebinger, Concierge
Kenwood Inn and Spa
707 833 1293
[email protected]
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Hi, I have stayed in Healdsburg several times and other places in Sonoma County. The Kenwood Inn and Spa is fabulous but the spa is a good 40 minutes away from Healdsburg. The Hotel Healdsburg Spa is also fabulous and depending on where you are staying you could walk there. Another option is the Simple Touch Spa in Healdsburg. Less pricy, less ritzy but very good spa services and it's right on the Healdsburg Plaza. Many of the local inns have spa packages with them. One I know for sure is the place I stayed last time I was there, the Camellia Inn. There is a new hot rod tour guy in Healdsburg who could drive you around for a very reasonable rate. He is a former Nascar driver and drives you in a hot rod car. He's charming and it's a fun way to do the Wine Country. I think he charges $20.00 per person. His name is Bryan and his number is (707) 322-1003 or [email protected]. There are also several limo companies. I have used Pure Luxury. And, dozens of tour companies. Other good spa options that are closer to Healdsburg then Kenwood are the Spa at the Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa - it's about 20 minutes from Healdsburg and the Cold Water Creek Spa. Both are in Santa Rosa. Wineries - There are 100s of winery tasting rooms in the Healdsburg area. Another reason you might want to stick to this area over the Kenwood Area is that few of them charge tasting fees. In the Kenwood, Sonoma, Glen Ellen area most of them DO. There are 13 small case producers within walking distance of each other at the Old Roma Station in Healdsburg. The wineries include Sapphire Hill, J Keverson and Camellia Cellars. Nearby is Longboard. The town also has some great wine and food pairing adventures at wineries all within the town itself and most of them small producers. Staying within the immediate area you could walk to many or take a couple hours and go with the Hot Rod guy. Hope this helps! Nina
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 10:46 AM

A great website for the area is www.wineroads.com. There are two weekends in March when the wineries in the area host the Barrel Tasting weekends. Those are great fun but also the are can get quite crowded.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 11:18 AM

My husband and I did a wine tour in 2008 with Gene at Healdsbrg Area Wine Tours. It was fabulous.

http://www.healdsburgareawinerytours.com/
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 11:23 AM

You have to try Williamson Tasting Room in downtown Healdsburg - 134 Matheson Street.

They do free food pairings with their wine. Everything is wonderful and the owners are the most fabulous people!
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 11:50 AM

I'm sorry... wrong link. Should be wineroad.com
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great responses! I'm having a great time planning the trip.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Check out Osmosis spa in Freestone... I think that's the town. Its West of Sebastopol on the way to Bodega Bay. I think its www.osmosis.com THAT is a unique experience!!
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Janiekins -- thanks for the advise on Healdsburg Area Wine Tours. That looks great. Did you design your own tour, or leave it up to them?
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Hi Beanie39, I left it up to them to design the tour and it was fantastic! Have a wonderful time!