Healdsburg activities

Mar 18th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Healdsburg activities

We are going to Healdsburg for our anniversary. Staying at the Honor Mansion. Thinking of eating at Madrona Manor, Bistro Ralph, Ravenous, etc. What do you suggest for activities? We're not wine drinkers, but we'll do some winetasting/winery hopping. We're also thinking of canoeing--any recommendations for romantic river trips? Also horseback riding--any recommendations for that? Other possibilites--spa massage, biking (scenic but easy routes--no hills), picnicking... Thanks, I'd appreciate your suggestions.
Mar 18th, 2003, 08:10 PM

A day of canoeing is great fun. I've done it from Healdsburg and from Forestville (Burke's Canoes). The Forestville trip to Guerneville was much more relaxing. For some reason we capsized a dozen times or more on the Healdsburg trip. Also, a walk through Armstrong Redwoods is beautiful. Take a picnic and eat next to the creek amoung the dogwoods and giant redwoods.

Rent bikes on the Square in Healdsburg and head out Westside Rd. Lots to do besides drink wine. You might want to check out the cafe at Chateau Souveraign for lunch. Great view.
Mar 18th, 2003, 08:12 PM

One more thing; check Rodney Strong's website to see if there is a concert while you are there.
Mar 19th, 2003, 03:12 PM

Healdsburg has a nice farmers' market on Saturday mornings. It is mostly veggies and such but there are some good jams and the like to sample and buy. It's fun to poke around. The Hotel Healdsburg has a spa but it looks from their website that the Honor Mansion has jacuzzis. It might well be possible to book a massage in your room through them as well. There is also a very good movie theatre in town..called the Raven. Often they have "art house" offerings and sometimes mainstream films. (Sometimes our vacations are the few times we get to the movies together). For picnic stuff check out the Oakville Grocery in downtown Healdsburg. Fancy and upscale but great cheeses and such. Also a good wine selection if you want to pick up something without tastings. Depending on when you will be in Healdsburg, there are Sunday afternoon free concerts in the plaza during the summer months. It's pretty nice to sit, listen to a variety of music and people watch. As you know..I am a big fan of Ravenous and suggest you make your dinner reservations as soon as you know you want to eat in most of the places you've listed. Also...check out the wine store off the Plaza..they often have tastings with winemakers on Friday evenings. It's pretty low key.
Mar 20th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Grasshopper and Pam. I am taking note of all the spots you mentioned for picnics. So Grasshopper, do you recommend we go with Burke's Canoes? How far is Forestville from Healdsburg? BTW, who's Rodney Strong? Pam, Raven theater is on our list of things to do depending on what's showing at the time. We are planning to get a massage at Honor Mansion. There is also going to be an antique fair the weekend we're visiting.

I hope somebody has a recommendation on horseback riding tours.

Search this Thread