Search

Headed to Vermont

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headed to Vermont

Hi all,
Heading to Sugarbush in Vermont in just over a week, and I'm just wondering what the resort is like. Also, what other activities are available besides the obvious skiing? I was looking at shopping in Burlington... is that the closest area with a mall, or are there others? Any info you could give me about the resort and surrounding area would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Lucy
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:48 AM

Give my best to Howard Dean. Oh yeah...congratulate him on his tremendous victory in the Vermont caucus. What an amazing win!

He got 43,950 votes. Let's see....$41,000,000 divided by 43,950 comes to $932.88/voter for that single magnificent victory.

Money well spent I'd say.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:32 AM
bm

Hi Tnt_Lucy,
Sugarbush is a great ski area. Unfortunately, the weather has been aweful for skiing this week (very warm, rain), but there is tons of snow up there (was at MRG on Saturday, next door to Sugarbush) so it should be OK.
Burlington is the closest "mall" shopping area. Go on down to the Church Street Marketplace which is an outdoor shopping area w/an attached "mall".
You could also drive up to Stowe and peruse the shops there.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:33 AM

I've never skied at Sugarbush, but it has the reputation as an upscale area that attracts a lot of professionals from the New York area. Because of this, ther are some cutesy shops and restaurants in the area. There is some very scenic countryside in this part of Vermont. As for shopping - Vermont is not a shoppers mecca, but Burlington does have it's share of 'mall sprawl' with a few large malls, and a very nice downtown commercial district. Don't expect to find any bargains, however. The IS the Manchester area about 1/2 hour to the south of Sugarbush, which is famous for it's outlet stores. As for things to do, you will be here in sugaring season, so visiting a maple sugar house would be fun. Also I'm sure there are farms and inns in the area that give horsedrawn sleigh rides. You might also want to try snowshoeing or cross country skiing. Another interesting little city to visit is Montpelier, which has a nice selection of restaurants and interesting shops.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:11 AM

Oh yes...please come visit us in Montpelier. Many nice restaurants to choose from...Conoscenti's and Sarducci's for Italian, the New England Culinary Institute runs 2 restaurants and a cafe in town, Capital Grounds for coffeeshop hanging out.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:31 AM

Hi - we just returned from Sugarbush on Sunday. We had such a great time! The weather was perfect and the snow was great! It did get a little slow in the afternoon though, because the temperature was pretty warm. We enjoy skiing at Sugarbush because you can ski Mt. Ellen one day and Lincoln Peak the next. There is also an express quad that can take you from one mountain to the other. It's a great ride!

We stayed at the condos at the Sugarbush Inn. I don't know where you are staying, but you have to go onto the Sugarbush Access Rd. to get to the ski areas. There are many restaurants on the Access Rd as well as many places to stay. There is also a small market to get snacks, soda, beer, etc. One of our favorite restaurants is The Common Man on German Flats Rd. - just off the Access Rd. Also, Rosita's on the Access Rd. is good for Mexican food.

Right on Rt. 100 (Sugarbush Access Rd. is off of Rt. 100) is the small town of Warren. There are a few shops and restaurants there, but the town is really small. North on 100 is the town of Waterbury where you can go through the Ben and Jerry's factory. It's a quick tour, but fun, and you get free samples! Farther up 100 is Stowe which is such a beautiful New England town with nice shops and restaurants. Manchester is good for outlet shopping, but is quite a bit longer than a 1/2 hour away. Hope you have a great time!!