Search

Hawks Cay Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawks Cay Help

Taking the family to Hawks Cay in April for 4 nights, then up to FLL (with some great feedback from Fodor "posters"). Any recommendations for activities in the area? Should we book the "swim with the dolphins"? Venture down to Key West? Everglades National Park?
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 10:47 AM

I can't imagine being that close to Key West and not taking a trip there! I know that some people hate Key West, but I personally love the place. So take a trip down and find out whether you love it too! Have a great trip!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 01:06 PM

I agree with the above post. Go down to Key West for the day and be sure and stay late enough to see the sunset celebration! It's quirky as only Key West can be!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 03:45 PM

I agree with Key West especially if you have time. Our daughter and her friend (both 17 at the time) swam with the dolphins and loved it! Hubby and I declined as it was too cold (the girls had to wear wet suits) that day , we were there in January. Book ahead though they only take so many per day.

Lily
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 04:18 PM

key west is a fairly long drive from hawk's cay, if you stay for the sunset, it can feel like a long haul back to your resort on very dark roads.

we stayed at hawk's cay a few years ago and there are a lot of activities right at the resort. my daughters went hang gliding and kayaking. we also did some type of doplphin adventure with the kids at the resort, altho i don't remember actually swimming with them. It's a nice resort and the condo was very nice. the only thing we didn't like was that there is no ocean access, not even a view really...they have this salt water "beach" lagoon thing, but it's separated from the ocean by a busy boat channell and the water is kind of murky. Still, you can drive to other beaches and my kids loved the resort.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 04:24 PM

Isn't there some sea turtle preserve that might be fun for the kids to see around there? Maybe North of Hawks Cay?
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 04:48 AM

Check out Pigeon Key at the base of the old 7 mile bridge. It's one of the old railroad camp. Save the Everglades adventure for your drive to or from the Keys.