Hawaiian Airfare Rates?

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 10:53 AM
Duane

Hawaiian Airfare Rates?

I will be flying out of LAX to Maui in late October. I want to use American. Right now they are pricing it at $650 for a non-stop flight. I am from the east coast so I don't know if this is a normal rate or if it is so high that I should wait for it to come down(hopefully). I realize all the flights seem to have gone up recently but was wondering if this was an unusually high rate.
Thanks.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:00 AM
Roger

From LAX that's a very high fare.
Wait for more competitive prices. You've still got plenty of time.
The best fares seldom become available 9 months in advance, unless there's some extreme drop in business (as with the 9/11 tragedy).

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:12 AM
scigirl

Duane,

I've seen fares between LAX and HNL for a bit under $400. I good way to spot fares is to use the travelocity.com service. I think it is called 'fare watcher.' You can register the cities you want to travel too and they will send an email to you when the fare drops below whatever price you set (e.g. $450.00). October fares are likely to be high right now because you are looking too far in advance. Best to start fare shopping 12-8 weeks out.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:25 AM
Sarah

That's helpful Scigirl. You also want to check out cheap tickets. They were origianally based in Honolulu and I have always found the best rates on interisland as well as island fares there. I also like www.travel1.com when you want to check daily. Also remember that Travelocity is owned by the major American airlines so frequently they will not tell you about better prices through outside carriers. They will just make it look like you have to connect with one in their group ect. Still soundsl lik scigirl has a great idea just measure it with what I have told you.

It's tough to predict some years the best deals come directly from airline other years through a discount bucket shop like cheap tickets. You just have to watch and hope you are calling it right. I would also go to prospective airling page and check seating availablity if possible.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:34 AM
D

Also check Aloha. They frequently have specials on flights out of LA.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:34 PM
Lenore

My husband and I have been trying to plan a trip to Hawaii in April. Three weeks ago when I first checked to get a ballpark, the fares from South Florida to Honolulu were $600+ to $800+, now they are running about 30-40% higher!! You have tons of time, so wait. They will surely go down.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:05 AM
Linda

Another site to check is travel-hawaii.com. For our trip in '01 they had the best fares of anyone - still quite high, but lower than anyone else (this was from the midwest).

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:02 AM
liz

Duane,
check out aavacations.com, go under the fly drive, you will find a better deal there, and if you need a car it is included.
good luck

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Patty

Those are all good recommendations and I would just like to add one more - Pleasant Holidays. I've used their air service twice now (will be third time this March). Prices are generally around $400 or less for LAX-Maui. They sell block seats on American Trans Air (if you call the airline directly, the price will be much higher) and so far we've had pretty good experiences with them. Hope this helps.