Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Air VS. Delta......Which would you pick? Please help.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Have the choice of going on Delta or Hawaiian Air. I like Delta and used them regularily but I get better deal on Hawaiian Airlines. I have never ridden on HA. How is the food and service and most importantly room on the flights. The deal is not that important (the cost is small) I want comfort for the flight.
Thanks I must make a choice quick.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:13 PM

We flew HA r/t from SMF - HNL last year and really liked it. New 767 is pretty roomy and even coach wasn't too cramped. Service was very pleasant. Meals were ok, but with most airlines eliminating hot meal service altogether in coach (like UA between SMF - ORD, ggrrrrr) I would recommend HA.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:51 PM

Flew of Delta, it was packed!! I could not even move because the 6' guy in front of me decided to put the back of his seat in my lap!! Very tight quarters!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:37 PM

They happen to be a very good airline. I take them every year when I go to Hawaii for Thanksging. They fly 767s from the west coast and if I'm not mistaken the seating configuration in coach is 2-3-2, in first class it 2-2-2 I think you will like there service,I've personally have never had any problems.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:59 PM

I just came back from Oahu on Hawaiian. The seat configuration is 2-3-2. I sat in a window seat on the way over. I sat in an aisle seat in the center section on the way back. I'm 5'4" and a size 14. I found the seats to be very comfortable. I didn't feel squished at all and I was sitting next to a couple of ladies who were a good amount larger than me on the way back. I used my tray to rest my arm on while leaning forward and holding my book up to read and the person in front of me reclined. It didn't bother me at all (though I don't normally have a problem with people reclining anyway). When I went to sleep, I found that the the recline angle of the seat was quite comfortable and the height of the seats off the floor gave nice legroom. The food was pretty good. I liked the sweet and sour chicken with rice and teriyaki chicken with rice , though they did run out of those since they did prove popular. They made sure to keep us hydrated too which was nice. Try the POG (passion-orange-guave I think). It was really good. The mai-tai came in almost a flask size bottle, which suprised me. It's a lot of bang for 5 bucks if that's what you want. The service was friendly and competent. They don't have screens in the seatbacks, which was a disappointment. I could barely see the movie and the sound quality was poor, so I didn't purchase sound access on the return flight. They have internet check-in up to 24 hours before your flight which is convenient. All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to fly them again. Of course, I normally fly SW, so my standards probably aren't that high. I did fly BA last year and I think that the seats on Hawaiian are more comfortable.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 09:15 PM

My sister flew Hawaiian and loved it. Though she said out of LAX her plane seemed a little worn. Although what plane does not. We are useing it to fly over this year. So I hope we like it to.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 05:10 PM

Aloha Momof5,
I live in Hawaii and choose Hawaiian because of the HawaiianMiles Frequent Flyer points, which you can use for interisland travel or the normal awards such as car rentals and hotel stays. The reason I would recommend Hawaiian for you is that the service is very warm and accomodating and the food is rather nice compared to what is currently being served on other airlines. I am small but my husband stands 6 feet tall and he doesn't have any problems, but we usually try to reserve an aisle seat, preferably directly behind the bulkhead. The
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Another vote for Hawaiian Air.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:54 AM

We have been between maui and LAX at least 4 times a year for the past few years, and the one flight we took on Delta in January was probably the very worst flight in my entire life. The seats were small and the plane seemed exceptionally crowded in comparison to Hawaiian or ATA. They had problems with the in-flight movie, service was minimal, attendants were grumpy and the bag lunch consisted of a stale roll with very wilted lettuce and meat, and chips.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:19 AM

Hawaiian Air over Delta anytime!