Hawaii - which island is best?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to take a week in November to Hawaii for my 40th bday. Been to Maui once in 96 but looking to see something new. Which island is your favorite and why? And where did you stay? I know Oahu is suppose to have more night life... we are looking to relax with beautiful beaches and perhaps one night or so of night life, but not every single night. Have considered taking the cruise also to see all of the islands, but no one I know has done that so if you have info on that - that's helpful too.

Thanks for any ideas!
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 09:17 AM

We love the Big Island. You will need to rent a car, but there is so much to do and fewer people everywhere you go. Are you taking kids or just you two? If you want upscale, the resort area is beautiful. If you want more budget friendly we have rented a condo near Kailua-Kona and loved it both times. Near to the town, only 13 miles to airport, farmers market, nice snorkeling beach (Ka'ha'lu'u)restaurants 5 miles or less. Drive to volcano about 2 hours, you can do the whole island circle in one day if you want. Great botanical garden above Hilo. So much to see and do.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 09:18 AM

Oahu would be the best choice if you have been to Maui already... theres lots to do...... But if you are considering spending cruise type bucks, think about shuttle flights and one or two night stays at another island... we did Oahu, Big Island, Maui and Kauai and back to Oahu each for a couple of nights... a travel agent can put you on a coordinated tour with flights and lodging for the same price as a cruise. Have fun!
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! We were thinking Big Island or Kauai... not really going high-end - budget is always a consideration and no kids. Just the 2 of us.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 12:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oahu is my favorite. I love Waikiki. Oops, but I see you just said BI and Kauai were what you're considering.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM

Wow. Loaded question.

I live on Oahu, so on our neighbor island vacations, we usually pick the BI and stay out on the Kohala Coast (Kona side). Some mainlanders don't care for this area because it's carved out of black lava and most of the resort areas could be classified as very "touristy," but we love it.

If I had to recommend a place to mainland tourists, I'd recommend Oahu (it has the most to do and has most of the sites that you've heard about or seen on TV) and also Kauai, just to get a flavor of the older, more laid back feel of the state.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 04:11 PM

Oahu is my favorite, too. Apart from Waikiki (which I love) and downtown Honolulu, you can drive around the island and find wide, almost empty beaches, plenty of peace and quiet, and gorgeous scenery. Hike up Diamond Head, go to Pearl Harbor, see Iolani Palace and the Bishop Museum, hang around the restaurants and shops at Aloha Tower and imagine when that was the first place people saw who came in by ship, walk through Chinatown and buy a cheap and lovely lei, snorkel at Haunama Bay, and see the Blow Hole. How much time did you say you have? It's never enough!
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 05:57 PM

carolyn, I had to smile a bit when I read your reply. I've lived on this island now for most of my life, but after reading your post, I wouldn't mind coming here for a vacation!

Honolulu is a very nice place, even if you live here!
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm, you guys are making me reconsider Oahu! Is it best to go the hotel route or rent a condo? Any particular areas to stay that are your favorites?
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 10:45 AM

My favorite is the Big Island and then Kauai. I am an outdoor lover and those two are the best for me. But, each island has it's own charms and problems. Oahu is crowd but great culture and restaurants. Maui is overbuilt but good restaurants, great beaches and entertainment. Big Island and Kauai have a paucity of good restaurants. The Big Island has the best snorkeling. Kauia has some incredible hikes. It's really what you like.

Bill
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 10:47 AM

>>

Another loaded question!!

Condo vs. Hotel - For a week in one place, I always prefer a condo, because I like to have a living room, and a kitchen is nice (breakfast on the lanai, a cup of tea without having to call room service). But condos don't often have glitzy pools, room service, etc., so it's a trade-off.

Areas of Oahu - Well, there's Waikiki, which is where most of the hotels, stores, restaurants are. Very busy, but there's a range of hotels and condos, great beach, etc. Kailua/Lanikai on the east -- gorgeous beaches, but few accommodations (mostly private rentals, I think). Ko Olina -- about 40 minutes west of Waikiki, a "development" in progress -- has a Marriott timeshare, a very upscale condo development, a JW Marriott, and they're building a Disney resort. The towns nearby are like the suburbs at home -- every chain restaurant known to man, with a few local restaurants thrown in. The Marriott timeshare resort is beautiful, but I don't particularly love the area (it's not beautiful until you get off the freeway and actually enter the resort area). And then there's the North Shore -- I don't know anything about accommodations, but the beaches are fabulous, and Haleiwa is a good, funky little beach town.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like Oahu, stayingright in the heart of Waikiki. Because it's the one place in any of the islands where you don't need to rent a car to get around. Also because I often travel solo, I like having lots of people around, lots to see & do. For me alone, a more isolated place has no appeal.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 12:59 PM

We have been to Oahu twice (just returned Sunday) and are already planning our 3rd trip for next summer. We like the mix of things to do or not do that the island offers.

Waikiki has tons of restaurants, shopping and of course the beach. We walked to the zoo this time and loved it.

You can rent a car and drive around the island to see some gorgeous beaches. We are not as enthralled with the Windward area as some but love the North Shore. Stop to see the turtles and have a Dole Whip.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 02:13 PM

Here's a quiz that recommends an island based on what's important to you:

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/best-hawaiian-island.aspx

On Oahu I love staying on the east coast. It's more quiet, great beaches, but you still have easy access to Honolulu when you want.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 03:25 PM

I have been to Oahu, Kauai, and Maui. I personally love Oahu, dh loves Kauai. On Oahu, we stayed in a home rental on the North Shore - loved it. We stayed most recently @ the Ko Olina Marriott Timeshare and will be returning there, but I agree 100% with SF - the area is a bit of a let down - the resort is lovely but driving there was very brown and not lush @ all. If I had my pick I would stay in a home rental in the town where were kayaked and I will have to go back and find the name. Just loved the beaches there.

Honestly? You cannot go wrong imo with any of the islands. It is a magical place.

Enjoy
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 03:55 PM

>>

That would be Kailua! I may stay there next time, too.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 07:28 PM

I much prefer the Big Island and Kaui to Oahu. The big island has so much to see and do. Kaui is a quaint and romantic. I do like Maui too but it is a bit more commercial. I had a bad experience on Oahu. Our car was broken in to about 20 feet from us and it really has tainted my experience there forever. There seems to be a very organized crime ring. I know it can happen anywhere, but we were very close to the car at an overlook. I know the sign says... take all your valuables but we were close by and only looking over for only a moment. There were many other cars that were broken into as well throughout the island. I do love the sights of Waikiki though!
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 07:48 PM

SF - thank you! Yes, that is it.

tx - I personally have never felt in any danger in Oahu. I am sorry you had that experience.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 09:30 PM

I'm sorry you had that experience, tx, but car break-ins at tourist spots are common at all tourist spots...not just Oahu. For that matter not even just Hawaii. My friend had her rental broken into at a park in Portland, Oregon recently.

It doesn't take a crime ring to break into a car. Just a couple of kids with a screwdriver who want money can do the job in about 2 minutes. When the state takes the time and money to post a warning sign, it is often wise to heed it.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 12:56 AM

Most of Hawaii's population live on Oahu, so there's a lot more people-related things to do plus great scenery.

Kauai is very beautiful.

Of the three islands, it's difficult, but personally the Big Island would be my last choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -