Search

Hawaii rentals- .com safe?

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii rentals- .com safe?

Aloha,
We are taking first family trip to Hawaii at xmas. Nervous. Hate high-rise hotels. Want to stay in Waimanelo or Kailua but little scared of no contract arrangements we are being offered. What is typical form home rentals by owner take? House in Kailua in Hale Kai Surf/racquet club- dep in traveler's check/no contract. House in Laumilo has a contract form. Kailua house owner is very sweet lady but we have 7 flights we are paying for, hate to be sleeping on a beach towel for 9 days.
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:01 AM

We have always had a contract in the past. Sweet lady or no, it's not worth the risk of losing your money. If something happens at least you have some legal recourse. A few months ago, we found out that a rental on Oahu we had sent money for last August was no longer in business. The owner died and his wife never let me know. I did eventually get my deposit back. But these things can happen. Sometimes when I'm researching rentals I find out that they are on the market to be sold. Get a contract, and when you send your deposit, use a certified check and get a return receipt.
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. That's what my thinking side of the brain was telling me. This lady is just so sweet! My trusting midwestern roots were getting the best of me. Long time from now to xmas.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:52 AM

A contract is of no help whatsoever if you arrive and for any reason the rental unit is not available (or access is refused). You STILL don't have a place to stay. However, a contract will help to recover your money.

How does paying by certified check help ?
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Think it happens very often? Make some really good travel trip stories if people posted how they survived and revived their vacations in such a situation.