Search

Columbia Gorge

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Columbia Gorge

We are traveling to the Portland for 1 day (or a little less than one day) before we head onto Seattle. We were thinking of visting the Columbia Gorge and perhaps continuing onto the entire Mt Hood Loop. Any suggestions on the highlights to stop at along the way to get a good feel for the area since we do not have too much time (approx 5-7 hours).
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
With that amount of time I'd be inclined to skip the Mt. Hood loop - if you go up to Timberline Lodge (which you chould) it would make your schedule awfully tight.

Take the "historic Columbia Gorge Highway" east from Troutdale - stop at the various turnouts and overlooks, then visit the Bonneville Dam hatchery, Multnomah Falls, and any of the other waterfalls along the road. You can go as far as Hood River before you turn around. Take either the freeway (I-84) back to I-205 or I-5, or go on the scenic (non-freeway) Washington side of the river.

Alternatively, if your plan is to carry on to Seattle, you can combine a visit to the Gorge with a wonderful "back door" route to Seattle. Go east through the Gorge as above, then continue (on the Washington side past Hood River) to the junction of US 97 near The Dalles. Go north on US 97 through wonderful "old west" country to Yakima, then I-82/I-90 into Seattle.

This will add a couple of hours overall into the trip but the scenery is really worth it, and you'll get some exposure to the "dry" side of the Cascades - wonderful country.

If time permits, stop at the Maryhill Museum near the US 97 junction, and/or some of the wineries in the Yakima Valley.
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo.

One thing I probably should add is that we are spending the night in the Portland area (not sure where exactly) and then heading to Seattle the next morning (via Mt St Helen's).
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:28 AM

Alas, as Gardyloo says, that isn't much time. I'll just add some detail to his suggestions, which are really good, as usual!

As Gardyloo says, definitely take the scenic hwy, stopping at Vista House to see the views and take photos. We like to visit the Louterell Falls first, which are a short hike from the road. I prefer these to Multnomah Falls, as they are not as crowded. Nevertheless, they are very scenic.

Multnomah Falls are a major tourist attraction and make for good photos.

One of our favorite trails starts a couple of miles east of Multnomah Falls, at Lower Horsetail Falls and goes up to Oneonta Falls. You can picnic at Lower Horsetail Falls. The hike takes a couple of hours, but you will get a chance to stretch your legs and really get a feel for the Gorge. The trail leads to Oneonta Falls, which you walk behind so that it falls like a veil before your eyes. The trail takes you back down to the other side of the Oneonta Gorge. It is well marked and maintained and isn't difficult.

If you have time, visit the salmon ladders at the Bonneville dam and see the locks and the museum on the River. The hatchery is really interesting, too. You learn a lot about salmon and environmental concerns.

As Gardyloo says, you can hightail it back to Portland by I-84, and it takes less than an hour.
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:33 PM

I recommend an extra day or one half day here over Seattle any time. Seattle is just another big city by the water. The things around Seattle are what make it special. Stay in the Gorge an extra half day or so!
Travel safe and may God bless you, from high in the Mountains of East Tennessee...
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:45 PM

Multnomah Falls is the highlight of the the Gorge area. We also enjoyed the Boneville Dam, it's interesting if you haven't been there before.

If you have a chance to stop by the Columbia Gorge Hotel, check out the property, its' gorgeous. Their county farm breakfast is outstanding. www.columbiagorgehotel.com

Don't miss Seattle, it's amazing. Such an exciting place, I can't wait to visit again in August. Have a great trip! ***kim***
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:10 PM

The suggestion by Orcas for the hike is great. If you do it though, the waterfall you go behind is Ponytail Falls, then if you want to do the shorter hike, further up you veer to the right where the marker says Oneonta Gorge. However, if you veer left you will end up at Triple Falls which is just gorgeous!