HAWAII -- Maui or Kauai??

Jul 13th, 1998, 08:34 AM
Jim

HAWAII -- Maui or Kauai??

We are planning a trip very soon to Kauai, but wanted some feedback about choosing Kauai or Maui. Has anyone an opinion about the comparison between the two islands, if considering a week in only one location? Thanks.

Jul 13th, 1998, 11:20 AM
M. Fisher

Visited both places in March.Maui definately has more to do. Kaui has a lot of "nature," and is certainly gorgeous, but the public areas and the island in general are not kept up as much as on Maui. A lot of junk lies along the roads and on the way to scenic views. I also noticed that the people are not as friendly. They really value their heritage and sometimes it was obvious that the locals resent the fact that they have to depend on tourism for survival. The economy is a bit worse on this island, since there aren't as many places to be employed and the sugar cane plantations are closing one by one. Stayed at the Marriott in Kaui and it made it all worth it because it was beautiful. I'm just not sure I would want to spend another week there. On Maui you can have the best of both worlds: soliitude at an extinct volcano or off the beaten path at a waterfall as well as great restuarants, nightlife, and an ever-friendly atmosphere. We plan to return to both islands, but on Kaui we will only spend a few days.

Jul 15th, 1998, 03:23 PM
Doris

Well, I guess I won't be helping much, because I disagree with the above comment. I have been to both and although Maui was wonderful, I don't think I'd go back. Kauai was incredibly beautiful! The most beautiful sites I've seen above ground and below water. I found the people to be very friendly. If you do go, take a Captain Zodiac raft trip. It was so much fun! We stayed in Condos right on the water and it was very peaceful. Nightlife just wasn't what we were looking for, so I couldn't help you there. The most crowded beach we found on Kauai had maybe 20 people on it. We did not find trash. Beautiful, secluded beaches. Maui was definetly more crowded.

Jul 20th, 1998, 08:05 PM
andrea

Well, I agree and disagree with the previous posts. We spent a week on each island last December and loved them both. People were lovely and friendly on both. No trash noted anywhere. Stayed at Marriotts on both and they were wonderful. Pool in Kauai not heated and that was unpleasant.

If I had to choose I would go with Maui. There is just more to do be it action or solitude. I can't wait to go back!

Jul 21st, 1998, 04:55 AM
dan

I have been to both. Three days on Kauai and four on Maui. This is a tough question. I think Kauai is a more beautiful island, but if you are staying a whole week in one place, I would choose Maui. You can stay in Hana a couple of days, go to Haleakala, go snorkeling at Molikini or elsewhere, visit Lahaina, etc. You can see Kauai in 2-3 days. I guess you aren't considering doing both, but I think 3 days on Kauai and 4 on Maui worked pretty well for us. The ideal though, if you want lots of beach time is about 5-7 days on Maui and 4-5 days on Kauai.

Jul 21st, 1998, 08:00 PM
brenda

We spend a month each winter in Hawaii, usually 2 weeks on Maui and 2 on Kauai. We simply love Kauai the best because of the quieter lifestyle there. Granted it does not have the "nightlife" of Maui but it has beauty and lacks the insane traffic of Maui. Maui has grown so much in the last 10 years that it is really a hassle driving in and around the populated areas where you want to go to dinner, beaches, shopping. Don't get me wrong, I like Maui too but I must admit Kauai is more my speed. If you like faster paced, go to Maui. If you want more relaxation and in my opinion more tropical lushness, go to Kauai. I really do not think you will be disappointed in either, just a matter of preference, After all, we all like different things, right?

Jul 22nd, 1998, 11:48 AM
Jon

Kauai is more universally lush than Maui, since it is an older island. But most of Maui are just as green as most of Kauai. (Stay on the Kaanapali side of Maui, instead of the Kihei-Wailea area, to avoid a backdrop of more dry or brown mountains.) There is certainly a LOT more to do on Maui than on Kauai.
Lots of info about Maui sights, activites, restaurants, etc, is at this web page:
http://members.aol.com/Derm1/index.html

Jul 31st, 1998, 12:00 AM
Sarah

I live on Maui so of course I love it but for my vacation weekends I go to Kauai. There are so many secluded beaches ranging from miles of beach (Polihale) to gorgeous private coves all along the north shore. It seems like there are beaches everywhere.

Jul 31st, 1998, 12:00 AM
Sarah

I live on Maui so of course I love it but for my vacation weekends I go to Kauai. There are so many secluded beaches ranging from miles of beach (Polihale) to gorgeous private coves all along the north shore. It seems like there are beaches everywhere.

Aug 4th, 1998, 07:33 PM
Maribeth.Juraska

MAUI--for sure. Nothing beats the long, lazy scenic drive to Lania and the Haleakala National Park sunrise at 4:30a.m. (wear your jacket) is a memroy I still hold vividly after 11 years. There are plenty of beautiful waterfalls, flowers, etc. on the way to Lanai that you feel like you are in Kaui anyway, only there's more to do. Hope this helps